Gold Leader Y wing, NiceN kit conversion.

Re: TIE Killer Y wing, a conversion!

Y-wing,this is the hardest SW model to ID the part from it for me at the moment:cry
Love this bird,1 of my favorite model,looking forward to this:thumbsup

I just really want to paint this bird, to me it has the most attractive paint/weather work of all the Y's, really slap dash, but very colorful and effective.

bests........lee
untitled-4.png

It does have a great paint job. Any progress on this?

Hoping to get the scribing this weekend fellas, and the accurate raised panels, so hang in there, its happening, im just juggling a few things right now.
Dont worry, EVERYTHING i have will be documented pic by pic here, as stated, i wont be chasing every tiny kit part on the hull, but ill do my best, just wanted a bit of fun.....and to paint this awesome livery, there is sooo much color and goings on weathering wise.

lee

Are you going to add the green wash that some of the parts now have? I'm really looking forward to seeing your paint work on this model. It'll be a benchmark!

Green wash and way more Jason. Thanks, im hoping for a short while it will be benchmark, till Steve and the gang nail the actual kit release and better men, better me :).

lee

Well, hard to really pick it up, but the re scribe is done. By no means perfect, a few areas on the module profile (red jammer) mean some lines have to run a different path, and im scribing into resin (something i loathe)..........., factor in, i suck at scribing......its not the end of the world.

I think itll be worth it, rather than just painting it as Gold Leader, having the right panels etc etc, will make it that little more cool......its kinda fun too not building OOB.......thats boring, i did endeavor to open up the torpedo tubes too....nice easy little job.

Anyhoo, next up are those raised panels, then, its onto the hull, glad to have this cockpit job behind me now though lol.

lee
cockpitscribing.png

cockpitscribing2.png

eh up buddy,lovin ya work.looks sweet see more soon hopefully..cheers tayta peza...:cheers

Heh, not yet Matti, im still only tinkering, need to focus on the Snowspeeder i need to finish, but ill be updating soon. As Jason stated, this will hopefully be a new benchmark for this prop replica, and the paint will mirror the prop exactly i hope, no OTT or OCD silliness, just a bang up, ILM slap happy replica paint up.

lee

Try get the rest of the raised plates done tomorrow Jerry, and get that armature rod tapped and mount the hull.
May not fit wing mounts to this one, not sure, i have them, but im trying to think up a way to have the engine cans removable for events, and its tough with a wing mount block in place :facepalm.

lee

May not fit wing mounts to this one, not sure, i have them, but im trying to think up a way to have the engine cans removable for events, and its tough with a wing mount block in place :facepalm.

lee

What the hell...? Are you an SS modeller or a mouse? Get or make a 3-foot flightcase like ILM did, for crying out loud, heh heh.

That's some damn fine scribing. I'm envious; I buggered mine up a bit re-scoring some of the lines on the head. Ho well...

Yes Steve, ill do it Steve, a big case then eh Steve......... :lol. Its storing that big bloomin case then too buddy lol.
Ill think of something, i always do.....its tricky though.

Thanks on the scribing mate, normally im ok, but its resin and orrible to scribe, i fudged a couple of lines on the underside, but there close, so i can live with them.

I did get the ol' bird on a panavise today, dont know where the time went lol, just ran out of it........see what i can get done tomorrow on other stuff.

bests.......lee

Scribing can be really tricky, and I find ILM to be extra hard, as they somtimes are pretty rushed and sloppy, and getting that special look can be a pain. Yours look great!

Cheers Matti. Not much time to do much right now, really poorly little one in the house, but got a bit of free time to add the styrene chips.
There not perfect, had to marry them up to my non perfect scribing, but, its closer to the Gold Leader cockpit than just simply painting the jammer one yellow lol.
Just a bit more clean up, and ill black and basecoat this part, and move onto the hull and cutting the new engines.

lee
Untitled-8.png

chipsunder.png

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back