Gluing overlapping silicone prosthetics

Sevv

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi

I’m working on some facial prosthetics. Plat sil 10. Id like them to be reusable so I’m planning on making them with 2mm thick edges. So then can be peeled off easily etc.

Due to my design I’d like them to overlap slightly by 5 / 10mm. The prosthetics are on the chunky thick side of things. I am also hoping I can make much smaller 1 time use ‘blending’ appliances to hide my thick edges. These parts are designed to be 1 use only and re cast each time the main prosthetics are used. I’d go to a con with 4/5 of these blending parts but hopefully only one copy of my main prosthetics.

Is this possible! I’ve tried Telesis 8 and it just doesn’t want to stick my overlapping nor blending appliances on top of each other. Only sticks to skin. It also seems to struggle with keeping my thicker appliances on. Almost like the prosthetic needs that built in blend edge to keep it on my face.

I am deadening them btw.

I’ve watched the making of Vecna for Stranger Things for example and he seems to have various prosthetics that overlap on is body so you must be able to stick the overlapping somehow?

Am I barking up the wrong tree or could someone recommend an adhesive that might work please?

Thanks

Or is silicone my problem and this would work with foam latex?

There´s Skin Tite too. But all in all it´s just very fast platinum silicone I think. As it´s the same material there would allways be a risk of the parts bonding permanently. But in my experience once the silicone is fully cured and some time has passed after demolding it´s pretty difficult to get silicone to bond chemically to itself. So most probably you will be able to peel it off. Maybe you could spray a very light mist of release just to make sure. You could make some tests with spare parts or silicone chunks.
I have repaired and re-painted a number of silicone pieces along time and the most difficult part has always been adhesion. To get a good one I had to clean thoroughly and apply heptane right before painting or glueing.
I´m saying this to point out that you could take advantage of the self release propperties of silicone, maybe helping a little with slight release. Of course, there would always be a chance of bonding or build up. But everlasting prosthetics are something that might not exist.
Or is silicone my problem and this would work with foam latex
For sure foam latex will not give those adhesion problems, but I don´t think you´ll be successful reusing the pieces as I see it. I´ts more tearable than silicone.

Another one would be using gelatine. This is if what you want to avoid is the silicone expense. Gelatine is reusable and very cheap compared to silicone. But you´ll still have to cast them every time, which is what you want to avoid I guess.

My thoughts. Perhaps someone has better ideas.

Thank you for the reply. Helpful stuff. I’ve done quite a few tests since and resigned myself to the fact my silicone pieces will be one use :( they need the blending edge. Oh well never mind, not going to stop me :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back