GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

The summer box office is way overstuffed this year so it's going to be very interesting to see how it does. I know everyone's looking at the current The Boss vs BVS box office and thinking its a done deal but we will definitely see. I think they should have put it out in the fall. I know they're wanting to recapture that GB summer blockbuster but I think they should have done about the same time period of Goosebumps last year.

I have nothing bad to say about kids meeting their heroes. That's awesome. It should happen more.

Also if you end up loving this film also awesome.

This really isn't even directed at you really... It's just... Every time someone says a new version can't take away the joy we get from previous film, I think of midichlorians. I think of the fact that Vader built C3PO, and that the stupid "rule of two" makes major parts of the originals creepy in new ways.

They can take away from it. Oh yes. They can.

This really isn't even directed at you really... It's just... Every time someone says a new version can't take away the joy we get from previous film, I think of midichlorians. I think of the fact that Vader built C3PO, and that the stupid "rule of two" makes major parts of the originals creepy in new ways.

and it's also perception of the brand.

In this case, it's been forcing social justice causes we can't talk about here in this thread and ruining the brand because of it. during the past year, I no longer think of ghostbusters with pure joy. I think of it with anger and frustration.

and quite frankly, it's now IMPOSSIBLE not to talk about both as one and the same, because that's all sony has been shoving down our throats for the past year...
So yes, they can.

My issue is more that the meta-movie stuff seems to have overshadowed the movie stuff itself. And there's a part of me that thinks that much of Feig's feminist efforts end up clouding the fact that there are definite reasons to be pretty dubious of how good the film will be. Like, the fact that it's a film with four lead females -- which is great -- in a genre that's typically dominated by men -- which is also great -- doesn't necessarily mean that the film will be great. Likewise, the fact that the cast visits sick kids in a hospital -- which is really cool -- doesn't mean that the film will be any good.

Really, there seems to have been this sort of polarizing response to the film which, for the most part, has nothing to do with the actual merits of the film itself. You've got the sexist trolls on the one side of the aisle saying, basically "EW GIRLS!!! THEY AREN'T FUNNY!!! STOP TAKING THINGS FROM MEN!" and on the other side of the aisle, you have people saying "I'm gonna LOVE this movie no matter what, even if it sucks, because it has women in it!"

I get the notion of supporting the film financially because you support the feminist aspect of it. I do not get the idea of loving the film regardless of, you know, whether you actually find it entertaining.

My concern with the film has been, from the get-go, that the process for getting it made in the first place seemed to show zero real interest or love for the project. The people involved in the making of the film...don't seem to really want to be making the film except insofar as it is a feminist action-comedy. I mean, honestly, the sole reason that this film exists is because Paul Feig has a thing for making female-helmed comedies, and Amy Pascal wanted a guy whose comedies have made a lot of money. that's it. You take away either of those elements, and this is still the same old Ghostbusters 3 stuck in development hell with Dan and Ivan screaming into the void about how their ideas are great, and Bill rolling his eyes and saying "Fellas, I do Jim Jarmusch movies now. I'm done with the wacky irreverent comedy."

In other words, the creative forces behind this film seem more excited about the feminist meta-film aspects, than about the film itself. And the audience has apparently responded the same way. It's all become about the feminism issue, which, while I absolutely laud the development of more films in more genres for women, and in broadening traditionally male-dominated franchises to include women and show that they're every bit as capable of being leads......all totally ignores the fact that the film itself could, you know, just not be very good. It seems that the film has ceased to be a film and become a cause, and on the one side you have the ******* MRA knuckle-draggers, and on the other, the crusaders for equality, all basically just treating the film as a football without regard for, you know, whether the football has any air in it.

you have people saying "I'm gonna LOVE this movie no matter what, even if it sucks, because it has women in it!"

I get the notion of supporting the film financially because you support the feminist aspect of it. I do not get the idea of loving the film regardless of, you know, whether you actually find it entertaining.

I also hope there aren't parents telling kids 'hey, because there are women in it, you should like THIS version.' sometimes that's how some of the tweets i'm seeing read to me. But that could also be just because It's just kind of sad to see how ghostbusters has degraded into feminist propaganda thanks to feig and pascal. and for that reason alone, I HOPE Ghostbuster fans will avoid FeigBusters and make it crash and burn just like F4 Fans did. nothing will make me prouder to see it make under 2 million in it's opening week.

In other words, the creative forces behind this film seem more excited about the feminist meta-film aspects, than about the film itself. And the audience has apparently responded the same way. It's all become about the feminism issue, which, while I absolutely laud the development of more films in more genres for women, and in broadening traditionally male-dominated franchises to include women and show that they're every bit as capable of being leads......all totally ignores the fact that the film itself could, you know, just not be very good. It seems that the film has ceased to be a film and become a cause, and on the one side you have the ******* MRA knuckle-draggers, and on the other, the crusaders for equality, all basically just treating the film as a football without regard for, you know, whether the football has any air in it.

That's a great way to describe this film. it's more about the cause and the agenda than the film itself. The ONLY reason we have proton packs that look even halfway decent, or technology and set peices that COULD fit in the universe if it where a continuation, is because of the god fathers of ghostbuers, ivan and dan, TRYING to keep Paul Fig Newton in check. if it where up to him, who knows what the universe would be like. but With Dan And Ivan in charge, we'll at least get something that tries to feel a little like an alternate universe ghostbusters.

Someone seriously needs to create a T Shirt. 'Team IVAN' on the front and 'say no' to Paul Feig on the back.

Garbage "agenda" films like this are best put to pasture by voting with your wallet. Cherish the original, enjoy the props/toys etc, and forget about the abomination.

Al Roker, Sony Shill..
Why are we still acting like Paul Feig is a godsend and it's 1967?

I wonder if he has women stroking what's left of his male ego 24/7, where they are paid by the hour to say how he is their savior? Honestly sickening.
that's what all these comments come across like... the guys ego is so fragile they have to build it up with compliments.

'women comedy is goofy'.....some women are crueler than most guys paul. known fact ;o). especially in todays society with wussed down guys who are afraid to burp and scratch their ass in public. sigh, what have we become?

Sorry, Westiies. it's just become impossible not to talk about at this point in some minor fashion...sigh.
I think my blood pressure goes up each time I see a paid for piece on this...but in a good, healthy release the anger way ;o)

thanks sony! How's the reaction to that MIB/23 crossover looking to ya?

SNL_0130_08_Update_5_Dan_Aykroyd.png

I have nothing bad to say about kids meeting their heroes. That's awesome. It should happen more.

Also if you end up loving this film also awesome.

I see your "Midichlorians" and raise with one Jar Jar Binks

:lol :lol

My prediction, if the movie does it well it will be "BECAUSE it has women in it!" and if the movie bombs at the box office it will be "BECAUSE it has women in it and people just will not accept them!"

The people that make movies with an agenda have it built in that they win their argument either way. If it does great they are leading the charge for whatever agenda they have, if it fails then the public just does not get it and is not accepting. I have known people like this my entire life.

My prediction, if the movie does it well it will be "BECAUSE it has women in it!" and if the movie bombs at the box office it will be "BECAUSE it has women in it and people just will not accept them!"

The people that make movies with an agenda have it built in that they win their argument either way. If it does great they are leading the charge for whatever agenda they have, if it fails then the public just does not get it and is not accepting. I have known people like this my entire life.

The talking heads & sound bytes & tweets can say it, but they can't make most of the public buy it. I think most of the public will see that BS for what it is. The sex of the cast will have some effects but it won't make a bad movie succeed or make a good movie fail. The issue will probably affect who views the movie more than it will affect the total number of viewers.

We aren't supposed to be talking about this on here, though.

We aren't supposed to be talking about this on here, though.

Although I agree whole heartedly, it's really tough not to at this point.

every article with feig and the ecto. the leading questions by al roker....they are going full on agenda and ghostbusters is kind of taking a second seat.

EDIT: commentary not needed in this particular thread it seems. That gif was pretty good though :)

Last edited:
Guys, there's really nothing making you discuss that stuff here outside of your own interest. The thread crudded up by the social agenda talk still exists for anyone to add more crud to!

posted in ghost corps, but there is a ghostbusters fan fest in late April happening at the tribeca film festival.

Sadly, the people doing this ghost heads documentary are the same ones who did that awful back to the future documentary....so I Have no interest in seeing that thing, but it IS being screened there as well...

so many disappointing documentaries this season. between BTTF, and Turtle Power being mislabled for what they ended up being. the only good one that delivered was
'I know that Voice'.

I so hope cleaning up the town delivers.

Here's something else I've been thinking about this abomination...

the trailer hit almost two months ago now.
It's up to 500,000 dislikes.

Don't you recut a second trailer by now to try and make up for the one people hate?
Or did they really put all the films highlights in the first one?

The movie is out in two and a half months, and so far all we've seen is two minutes of footage, and about 7 official still image photos. Ghostbusters is their biggest property.
We should have seen so much footage by now, we'd be tired of it.

that's....really disconcerting, but good news for us 'haters' ;o)..

No wonder Reitman was spotted moping around the sony lot in a bad mood having to deal with that lot ...because after all I've read on how it came down, honestly, it deserves it at this point.
Because the GB reboot is obviously why a nearly 70 year old industry vet would be moping around the Sony lot while not smiling. It's not possible that he had a headache or hit his funny bone or something. Maybe his dog died. Again, you're just looking for things to complain about. This isn't even constructive discussion on the reboot.

...and why exactly does the reboot "deserve" your wrath? It appears borderline obsessive.

You mentioned the email leaks a while back, tempers flare when dealing with huge collaborative creative endeavors with budgets well into the 9-figures. Big budget studio tenopole films is an incredibly tense, stressful environment to create in. Careers and major bucks are on the line with projects like this. GB and GB2 had just as much drama behind the scenes, and it's pretty clear that Reitman and Feig get along just fine now.

posted in ghost corps, but there is a ghostbusters fan fest in late April happening at the tribeca film festival.

Sadly, the people doing this ghost heads documentary are the same ones who did that awful back to the future documentary....so I Have no interest in seeing that thing, but it IS being screened there as well...

so many disappointing documentaries this season. between BTTF, and Turtle Power being mislabled for what they ended up being. the only good one that delivered was
'I know that Voice'.

I so hope cleaning up the town delivers.
Ghostheads looks fantastic. It's a feel-good doc about GB fans that want to help. How is that even remotely a bad thing? It's being independently produced by fans. Cool story, good message, yet you're already writing it off? It's worth a shot. ONE of several Ghostheads producers worked on another doc that you didn't like. It's not even the director.That's not worthy of completely writing it off. Making into the Tribeca Film Fest is a huge deal. Be proud of your fellow hardworking, passionate fans.

I thought the Back to the Future doc was incredibly fun, as was Turtle Power, which is getting a volume 2. Cleanin' Up the Town is looking phenomenal-- 70+ interviews with cast/crew and more archival material than you could ever imagine. All of these docs have a few very important things in common-- all are labors of love by fans produced independently of the studios with NO BUDGET. Do you know what's involved in that? All of the legal issues, clearance rights, etc.? I've seen your animation proejcts, Neil. You would think, that of all people, you would know the struggle of producing quality fan content without a budget. It's incredibly tough for these things to be completed and released, let alone make it into major film festivals. Be proud of your fellow hardworking, passionate fans.

Sony has multiple versions of the trailer out now. They've instructed theaters on which to run as they make more. Marketing for the reboot is starting to gear up, and the steady stream of new merch is about to get even larger.

...and the Youtube community is known industry-wide to be full of hateful, negative people like yourself. Comments and likes aren't exactly an accurate source of metrics. Of course, if you have a reliable, well-sourced article stating otherwise, I would love to read it. ;o)

Last edited:
...and why exactly does the reboot "deserve" your wrath? It appears borderline obsessive.

Not sure what's 'borderline' about it :lol

Neil doesn't appear to actually like anything that wasn't originated in the eighties. Me, I like some stuff from the nineties too...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back