GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

I watched the international trailer and it is better than the one in the states. It looks like they listened to some of the complaints. Especially the scientists part. I'm going to see this in the theater. Also on the Real GB cartoon; I remember that episode it was the one where the old suits become some ether versions of the wearer and start mayhem.

Citizen Ghost. probably on youtube. The Syndicated guys showed they got what makes ghostbusters tick. they even made peter venkman likeable.

I saw online people are booing Feigbusters trailer in front of this movie...has anyone had that happen in their showing? I want video lol

I love that movie. it's cheesy, but it tries to be logical in it's own cheese and doesn't forget to have fun at the same time. it looks like people are having fun doing it too..

Uh oh...
couldn't happen to a 'nicer' company. hopefully if ghostbusters tanks, maybe they'd think of selling back FF4 and spiderman to recoup ;o).

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/sony-lay-offs-marketing-distribution-1201737700/

thats one of my favorite movies too, love all the corny jokes like when the hulk asks the neighbor what he's going to do to him after the hulk moved the drag racer.. and the hulk comes up with this big long graphic guess to what the grudgey neighbor was going to do to him... and the neighbor just replies "this is the 90's, I'm gonna sue ya" lol

also love seeing the broken PKE in action

reading some of the stuff online, I can't help but wonder if no publicity for this thing is two fold...

1- no faith in the movie by the studio.

2- Sony Pictures is in severe finacial trouble...

someone did a write up on IMDB from the leaked emails stating that the company hopes this movie will set them on the right track for franchise expanding.

but with so many flops lately, and the layoffs starting to happen...maybe they just don't have the budget to do things like getting this trailer on TV at this point?

One of the new Ectos was at WonderCon all weekend, the trailer was before the screening of BVS I was at and many from what I've been told, posters and cardboard displays are out at theaters, most of the new merchandising products are coming out in May, the rest in June, but yeah no publicity at all, no advertising at all.

Man I always regret viewing a NeilT post when he's on my ignore list.

One of the new Ectos was at WonderCon all weekend, the trailer was before the screening of BVS I was at and many from what I've been told, posters and cardboard displays are out at theaters, most of the new merchandising products are coming out in May, the rest in June, but yeah no publicity at all, no advertising at all.

The late release of the first trailer was alarming, but nothing else to do with the marketing of the film sets off any alarm bells. Posters have been up in my local theatre for over a month and they're probably saving their big marketing dollars for closer to the release so as not to get lost in the Deadpool/BvS/Civil War frenzy. That's what I'd do anyway.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

I'm start to wonder if the studio is having second thoughts about this movie suddenly, they should have been promoting the hell out of it and trying to get all the merchandising out already. Even if they were up against bigger movies there has been nothing at all on tv about it and even talk shows aren't mentioning it, it's like it's a non-thing.

I'm start to wonder if the studio is having second thoughts about this movie suddenly, they should have been promoting the hell out of it and trying to get all the merchandising out already. Even if they were up against bigger movies there has been nothing at all on tv about it and even talk shows aren't mentioning it, it's like it's a non-thing.

I mean, yeah, they where on Idol..and Ellen. But Both of those where on the same day or close to it.

The Posters are up in the theater. The trailer is in front of some movies.

Why aren't the cast doing press for it? You'll see Feig on some obscure web series doing interviews, but that's about it.
Shouldn't they be talking about this thing until we get tired of it from now until release? it just seems kind of lack luster. especially considering some movies have trailers or teasers a year or two away from release. We all have that one trailer we are tired of seeing long before the movie comes out.

I've also noticed Dan Aykroyd has COMPLETELY vanished from the spotlight. he wasn't even at that trailer premier thing with reitman, and ghostbusters IS his baby, despite what feig wants you to think.

And quite frankly, I don't buy the 'mcarthy' roles switched theory. notice that only came out after a week or two of the scientist controversy. and jones is still playing her snl character...is that how her character would have acted as a scientist too?

everything about this movie is one giant odd mistep in handling. It's like they where trying to think 'what's the best way we can handle this without making it worse?' although at this point, I expect them to say 'What's the best way to cause more controversy so we can keep the free publicity machine going?'

The fact that they are deleting constructive criticism comments on YT and leaving only the crazy ones says it all about this mess..

I dunno as I've said I think the film will do wonderful for about the first week when the soccer mommies and their little princesses go because it's a Feiggy film and all those amazing lady comedians are in it and then....it'll die and be deader then the ghosts they bust.

I'll be amazed if it breaks even,personally.

Mind it doesn't look bad,just very forgettable,like something I'd watch and in six months if you asked me about it I'd have to go watch it again because I'd forgotten everything about it.

I dunno as I've said I think the film will do wonderful for about the first week when the soccer mommies and their little princesses go because it's a Feiggy film and all those amazing lady comedians are in it and then....it'll die and be deader then the ghosts they bust.

I'll be amazed if it breaks even,personally.

Mind it doesn't look bad,just very forgettable,like something I'd watch and in six months if you asked me about it I'd have to go watch it again because I'd forgotten everything about it.

I think it'll do better than that, but I don't think it'll be the film that launches a major franchise for Sony. It'll get a sequel, maybe two, might sell a couple of toys, but in the end, it'll be forgotten because, once you strip out the Ghostbusters aspect, it's the same as basically every other comedy out there, just with women in it. And that's all fine and dandy. Nothing wrong with that, but the assumption that this becomes some tentpole franchise? Please. Not gonna happen.

Now, I don't think that doing this with men would have changed that, either. I don't think Ghostbusters was ever going to be or was ever meant to be a tentpole franchise, but from Amy Pascal's emails, it sure looks like she thought it could be. Although, maybe that was just sunshine-speak on her part, which is part of the job in Hollywood in getting films greenlit.

Anyway, I think it'll have a very solid opening weekend, middling performance week 2, and then will steadily fall off the charts. It'll make money domestically, probably won't be a huge hit internationally, and it'll be greenlit for one, maybe two sequels, after which they'll reboot it every 5-15 years or so.

I thinnk it'd work better in television than in movies.

It could be the paranormal CSI.

Ghostbusters Miami. Ghostbusters Japan. Ghostbusters Colorodo.

But in movies you really only need the core four.

Also, if it had just men, it'd probably be an adam sandler or kevin james style flick, and yeah, that wouldn't work either.

----

Last edited:
Nobody would expect a GB reboot starring Adam Sandler & Kevin James to be tentpole material. I fail to see how a gender swap changes that. Movies of that maturity level just don't appeal widely enough.

IMO this franchise does have potential to be something bigger than it has been. I mean, Fast & Furious or Jurassic World have proven tentpole-worthy in recent years. And a certain amount of petty joking can work in a big action/adventure show if it's handled right. But it won't happen with GB as long as they keep thinking its a "comedy" in the modern sense where chewing the scenery is the rule and there is never any hint of actual drama or danger.

The original GB movie is part of the problem for getting it relaunched well. Reitman & friends managed to give the show more irreverent comedy & lunacy than it really should have been able to withstand.

Now the modern remakers are taking this old show, which was more comedic than it should have been able to pull off the first time, and they are plugging it into the standard modern Hollywood machinery where all mainstream comedies get pushed way out into stupid territory.

Modern remakers won't recapture the orginal GB's tone using the standard Hollywood playbook of 2016. And even if they did nail it, the whole situation I'm describing in the previous paragraphs would just repeat itself at the marketing stage: they wouldn't know how to handle it right and it would probably end up under-performing.

Last edited:
Cameo's.....possibly reshot twice...

for instance, rumor for dan aykroyd...

Cameo shot 1: Plays a cabby and says 'ain't afraid of no ghost'.
Cameo reshoot 1: Plays disgruntled audience member calling out new ghostbusters as frauds at book talk.

Ernie Hudson:
Cameo Shot 1 - Plays Patty's uncle, gives them hearse.
Cameo Reshoot - Plays real estate agent, shows old firehouse...

Bill Murray:
Cameo Shoot 1 - Plays nasty peck like TV Reporter calling new gbs frauds.
Cameo reshoot. Gets saved by random woman in Arcade Room, being dragged away screaming by ghosts of famous arcade game characters (yep, you read that right.)

there's a number of different rumors, but that's all that's been out so far.

IMO this franchise does have potential to be something bigger than it has been. I mean, Fast & Furious or Jurassic World have proven tentpole-worthy in recent years. And a certain amount of petty joking can work in a big action/adventure show if it's handled right. But it won't happen with GB as long as they keep thinking its a "comedy" in the modern sense where chewing the scenery is the rule and there is never any hint of actual drama or danger.

The original GB movie is part of the problem for getting it relaunched well. Reitman & friends managed to give the show more irreverent comedy & lunacy than it really should have been able to withstand.

Agreed. The Real Ghostbusters cartoon show showed that they could do a lot with it. I used to really enjoy that show. And the cartoon wasn't really a "comedy" cartoon. At times it was actually borderline dark.

Yeah, if they got out of the mindset that it needs to be like a series of stitched together SNL skits with lame gags and one-liners they could actually make the franchise awesome.
The problem is that would require some actual creative thought and writing. Instead they drag out the lazy, hackneyed style that seems to be "mainstream" these days.

I would almost say Zack Snyder would be perfect for rebooting Ghostbusters instead of DC movies. Dark, gritty with the occasional subtle humor.

problem is, he's another in a line of these people who get franchises they obviously know nothing about, or just don't care enough to do a decent job on.

Studios have these big franchises that could last decades in sequels, yet they constantly give it to people who don't care... if only because, as solo points out, the general audience will accept anything that's given to them in the hopes of wasting two hours with a popcorn movie.

I was thinking about this just this morning.

Back to the Future is the ONLY movie I have ZERO complaints on. Absolutely ZERO. they get EVERYTHING Right. they weren't concerned about setting up animated series. weren't concerned about their image. or toy sales. or tie ins. or product placement (although there is some even here).

they focused on the characters, on the story, and where clearly INTO their own ideas, and it shows. every time I watch it, I think up some new level of detail that gets the mind going. like when you realize that the reason doc brown had an empty gun in part one to shoot the terrorists with, was because he used up all the bullets in it in part 3 and never remembered to reload it (they already established how absent minded he was in the first one!).... fun little moments like that that show the directors care, and have fun, and think in universe.

these modern directors don't do that. they are paint by numbers. part of that may be studio interference too...but it's all part of the same problem. JJ and Star Trek. Popcorn movie. Bay Turtles/TRansformers, pop corn. Feig and ghostbusters, Agenda Popcorn. Snyder and BatmanVSuperman? Popcorn. Not that there is anything wrong with popcorn... they are also so involved with their own greatness no one tells them 'this might not be a good idea'...

But I think of how much story telling has evolved since the first Ninja Turtles movie in the 90s, the only one that really truly got what a good property it could be in live action, even with a 'goofy' idea. the mythos has expanded so much since then. Imagine seeing Utroms battling Triceretons on Earth. Mystical Ninjas. Demon Shredders. Hell, even basic human ninja Shredder doing actual ninja things (screw the china market, this is an american audience)....

But movies these days are made by committee and pre conceived notion..and over thought out connectedness that drains all the FUN out of it for the truly creative directors out there these days, I think at least. For every Gaurdians of the Galaxy, we get 5 He-Man sequels where he-man is spouting earth phrases like 'It is what it is' before he fights skeletor to the tune of some current pop rock song the producers want in the movie..

it's all very depressing. I honestly can't take another beloved franchise being destroyed after a year of feigbusters talk. no one wants to do it right anymore. they all want to put their own spin on it in the hopes their crazier ideas are a success, so they can take the credit.

Disclaimer - the following is all my opinion. please don't get upset or take it personally. your opinion will obviously vary.

Movie making is no different now than it was then to the movie companies - they are there to make money. The only reason cartoons and toys are popular for those movies is because of nostalgia. If you are looking for great stories, etc you are looking in the wrong area of movie making. Check out indie films and such. Like was said above, Ghostbusters and BttF were made to make money. Did they do a good job? Yes. Were the movies ALSO fun, yes. All this talk about how they don't CARE - they want to take your money, period.

Difference being, BTTF and GB (as well as many other films) got made because they were seen as good ideas with money making potential. JJ Trek and the new GB film are made because they're seen as properties they can cash in on.

It's not a new phenomenon, but definitely a different kind of film making.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back