GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

There better be a lot of nostalgia from the women of the 80's to break even.

The market for this is not "women of the 80s". More likely people that enjoyed Ghostbusters and want their young kids or daughters to have fun characters to watch will be showing up. Plus older fans that aren't drowning in nostalgia. :(

WoooHoo, something that looks worse than BvS

Wow... the fact that I really have to think about whether that's true is pretty unsettling.

The thing is, this isn't for most of us, who grew up with the movie. It's for 15 year olds. And I bet they'll come out in droves.

Right? I picture the Sony executives in the meetings about this movie... These execs are probably the same d-bags that grew up thinking Uwe Boll movies were great. Totally clueless.

I guess they're hoping to attract a new audience while appealing to the nostalgia of the people who were the same age as their kids when the original came out. Not realizing we have standards.

Like someone else said... subtle humor has been lost to ham-fisted, spoon-fed-with-a-shovel "comedy"... which is pretty much the majority of Melissa McCarthy's movies anyway.

This looks bad. Like... BvS and Suicide Squad bad.

I wonder what the reaction of sony is right now.

they are deleting negative comments this time.

the like versus dislike ratio is growing FASTER than it did with the annoucment trailer.

The dislikes are now almost 11 THOUSAND more than the likes with almost as much of TONS of nothing but negative comments.

Sony knew they made a mistake within 3 months of hiring feig when tatum came along (or whoever it was)......what is above full blown panic mode at this point?

I doubt they are worried. Most people find it pretty easy to "push a dislike" button in a comment section. MOST of the people who will go to the movies to watch this won't be reading those types of comments. A whole lot of movies that come out have this type of negativity (internet hate) and do just fine.

Wow... the fact that I really have to think about whether that's true is pretty unsettling.

Right? I picture the Sony executives in the meetings about this movie... These execs are probably the same d-bags that grew up thinking Uwe Boll movies were great. Totally clueless.

I guess they're hoping to attract a new audience while appealing to the nostalgia of the people who were the same age as their kids when the original came out. Not realizing we have standards.

Like someone else said... subtle humor has been lost to ham-fisted, spoon-fed-with-a-shovel "comedy"... which is pretty much the majority of Melissa McCarthy's movies anyway.

This looks bad. Like... BvS and Suicide Squad bad.

NOBODY thinks Uwe Boll movies are good. Well, except maybe Uwe Boll.

Maybe.

I doubt they are worried. Most people find it pretty easy to "push a dislike" button in a comment section. MOST of the people who will go to the movies to watch this won't be reading those types of comments. A whole lot of movies that come out have this type of negativity (internet hate) and do just fine.

Yeah, I wouldn't put a lot of stock one way or the other in positive or negative internet buzz or up/down votes on Youtube. Most people are saying "This sure looks a lot like the original..." And I've seen a few comment that Feig movies generally have pretty craptastic trailers but turn out to be funny.

Bottom line, the film will probably do...eh...fine. The real question will be whether it can actually make back its budget, including marketing. If we're talking $300mil...I dunno. That seems like a stretch.

I never have a need to watch another ellen episode again, not that I ever did before.

that was the most pointless guest appearance on a tv show ever.

it was interesting to see the only real laugh the audience got was the last scene. other than that it was rather quiet.

Pretty much looks like exactly what most folks expected. I bet it makes dough. People will take their kids to see it.

The old tape recorder is a Nagra III, or some Nagra model. Used to be the gold standard in the film industry, so there were plenty of them lying around no doubt.

Holy cow. All I have to say is this looks SOOOOOO terrible. Like direct to DVD terrible..... and there's some direct to home market stuff that would be better suited for theatrical release than this.

There is not one fiber of me that wants to see this film. I'm calling this the 2014 TMNT effect.

There is not one fiber of me that wants to see this film. I'm calling this the 2014 TMNT effect.

Sadly, TMNT did well enough to warrant a sequel which looks worse than the first movie. So I can only imagine how many other bad Ghostbuster movies will follow this one.

I'm sure there are a lot of ways this movie could actually have been good. Original casting, if only to use as a springboard for the "new crew" definitely would have been a good way to start. Rebooting it was a bad way to go.

Why not just re-release the movie with full marketing as if it was new and see how much more they can milk out of it. The original movie still holds up pretty well today.

Its almost like Sony said s--t its going to flop , we need to come up with something to con the real fans ,I know we can put a ton of stuff in that make no sense in this movie but makes it feel like its connected to the original.

The best part was where Leslie Jones was tossing Leonard DiCaprio around. No wait, that was the Oscars ceremony last weekend...

equipment-thumbnail-1.jpg

just to confirm, this thing is actually the ghost trap......not the bear trap looking thing. although the bear trap looking thing looks like it's connected to the ghost trap on the right...or something similair looking...

hold on, i'm reaching my limit of too many consecutive posts...gotta let a few others in here till I'm allowed to do it again ;o).

Really? 150 million dollars and this is what they came up with? Instead of three nerdy white male scientists and a street wise black guy we get three nerdy white female scientists and a street wise black gal? More play it safe insulting crap that will probably make a ton of money.

I'm actually kind of surprised fantastic four fans stuck to their guns. either that, or there arn't that many of them, and it wouldn't have mattered if they stuck to their guns or not.

I really hope GB fansstick to their guns and this thing barely makes $5 million opening week. if it can have ONE bad opening week, star trek, ice age, and suicide squad are right around the corner, with another family movie, secret life of pets opening before it. no wonder they moved it to july with turtles 2 in june. smart move.

- trailer dislike count now 22,000+ ;o)

Really? 150 million dollars and this is what they came up with? Instead of three nerdy white male scientists and a street wise black guy we get three nerdy white female scientists and a street wise black gal? More play it safe insulting crap that will probably make a ton of money.

I never considered Winston a "street wise black guy". He was an unemployed Blue collared guy looking for work. "If there's a steady paycheck involved I'll believe anything you say." - who doesn't that line resonate with? He was the audiences POV.

This new character is a Stereotype , I'm surprised they didn't throw in a "nah he din'it"

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back