GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

inquisitor Preregrinus , I love that post! Those comic series were terrific as a kid.

It's worth noting that nothing being said recently in this thread about the quality or watchability of 80s cartoons applies in the slightest to the original Ghostbusters.

Last edited by a moderator:
@inquisitor Preregrinus , I love that post! Those comic series were terrific as a kid.

It's worth noting that nothing being said recently in this thread about the quality or watchability of 80s cartoons applies in the slightest to the original Ghostbusters.

perhaps, but every thread goes off on a semi related tangent now and again. that being said, 80s rgb syndicated is still the best movie to toon adaption ever made, and anyone who says otherwise has no soul ;o)

Last edited:
perhaps, but every thread goes off on a semi related tangent now and again. that being said, 80s rgb syndicated is still the best movie to toon adaption ever made, and anyone who says otherwise has no soul ;o)

I agree. The first couple years of RGB were better than they had any right to be.

But RGB did it by partially reinventing the franchise for its own purposes. The tone & characters were different from the GB theatrical movies, even though it did stay within the hard facts of GB#1. If the theatrical GB#2 movie had picked up 5 years after GB#1, and everything was following the RGB storyline/tone/etc, then it would have been recognized as a reboot.

Looking back as an adult I see the GB movies and RGB as two different shows. Related, but different. You definitely enjoy them for different reasons.

Wasn't there a bad cartoon called the Ghostbusters for awhile and then they came out with the REAL Ghostbusters because the first was not even close to the movie at all?

Wasn't there a bad cartoon called the Ghostbusters for awhile and then they came out with the REAL Ghostbusters because the first was not even close to the movie at all?

That cartoon with the gorilla predates the movie! Clearing the rights to the name was one of the reasons they were unsure what it'd be called even into shooting the first film.

EDIT: But you are right, the "REAL" was added to the title to differentiate it from the "original, yet 'fake" Ghostbusters cartoon.

I always liked to think that in universe the RGB's were real and the movies were based on them.
Well at least I did when I was a kid.

They actually did that with the cartoon in a few episodes with Peter helping out with the filming of the movie and at the end they show clips and the characters make fun of the live action actors.

http://www.eonline.com/news/716796/...ile-making-ghostbusters-says-melissa-mccarthy

oh feigy, feigy, feigy, you have been a baaaaad monkey!

one shot of shirtless hemsworth is groan worthy enough. I guess now we know why they didn't choose someone like kevin james, someone with comedic experience, to be the secretary. sigh. this thing is going to a total wreck. only question is, will it be a glorious wreck or just a wreck? even rifftrax couldn't make bay turtles entertaining.

also just found out feig did trainwreck with amy schumer. I guess since the only non raunchy adult style movie he's done has been peanuts (and that only because the schultz family kept him on a tight leash), this doesn't bode well for ghostbusters.

for some reason all I can think of is a scene in the simpsons with lisa simpson, smithers, and a mr.burns screen saver..

Last edited:
I mean...what'd you expect? Pretty much that sentiment has been fully on display throughout the production of the film. The studio has made it abundantly clear that it really doesn't give a **** about whether a segment of the fandom is irritated. I think it's a bit daft to say so out loud, but, realistically, that's exactly how they feel.

My guess is that they think:

A. The irritated fans are a "vocal minority" and can be ignored.

B. New fans will be created who will far outweigh the old, grumpy fans.

C. Even the grumpy, vocal minority...will probably still show up to see it because they gots ta know!!!! since it has the brand on it. (See also, the controversy over JJ's "Warp Nacelles Monthly" comment and the impact it had on Trek '09.)

D. All of the above.

We'll see how it turns out. Personally, I think it'll be a three film deal, with diminishing returns each time, and the franchise will fizzle after that because, aside from the brand, everything else is pretty generic and disposable.

the ghostbusters fandom is pretty funny.

first it was all hate. then some of that wore off and when the images started showing up, it was starting to shift toward hopeful. the hospital incident happened, then it shifted even more towad hopeful because people where tired of the hate. then feig blew up on twitter going after fans, and now it seems to be back to hate again.

reading online, there seem to be two camps. people who will bash this thing til lthe day they die.. and people who will praise it just because it's ghostbusters, and bash the bashers till the day they die.

and creators going after fans seems to be a very common thing these days. I got told to F off by the new nick show turtles team. all because after 6 months of comments on this guys FB page, I Say one thing negative, and he went all philly on me, throwing garbage at santa clause ;o)...

go figure. I guess due to the over whelming crazy that is the internet these days, with EVERYONE going after you for ANYTHING, people are snapping back finally. what they've got to realize is how to snap back properly... address your comments to the segment you are mad at, so you don't **** off everyone. there are ways to loose it online ;o).

-regarding the article .. 'no, we're making the FUNNY ghostbusters'.. so, the original WASN'T funny? and 'It's Original'. No, DANS idea was original. your idea is just a unceremonial gender flip cash grab rehash. just like bay turtles was a souless rebooted cash grab. I can't help but wonder if these head idiots are seeing the first dailies, and taking some of their anger out on the fans.

Last edited:
I think this will basically end up going like The Hangover did. They'll probably make enough money to justify a sequel, at which point the question will be how much the sequel gets for a budget, and how well it does. I could see the sequel going either way. It might not be well received, in which case, no third film. Or it might do decently well (a la the Hangover) to get another sequel, which ultimately kills the franchise again.

which ultimately kills the franchise again.

oh don't worry, next time around they'll be a team of inter racial trans genders. and the secretary will be a robot.
everyone loves a robot.

What was interesting about GB 2 that I read online recently, is apparently the only reason it got made, was because everyone of the talent was in between projects with nothing to do. apparently they didn't even know how to end the movie a few weeks up until the final camera rolled. so maybe that's why it was so close to the tone of the original? no real planning went into it and it was just kind of an off the cuff thing?

this was from michael gross himself after someone talked with him for a bit.

12227192_10205614553624302_7507046203271244738_n.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back