Gerry Anderson - UFO TV Series - Shado Pistol replica build

Ah yes as Shakespeare said "There are more things in the RPF, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." At least I think that's what he was getting at.

i'm amazed at the quantity of fantastic things on this forum..look forward to seeing more

In about 1985 I drew up CAD plans to make a one third scale Dalek. That's as far as that project got. Now I have nothing that read that 5.25" disc or its particular HP format (not home PCs). There's stuff I'd quite like to get off those discs.

Though in the early 70's I did make some UFO props like the pistol and Straker's office phone from wood. They weren't very good but I was in my early teens and it made my desk in my bedroom look cool (or so I thought). I also thought my remote (from my bed) string operated sliding door was cool. Sad really.

Don't feel bad it took a buddy of mine 23 years to build an R2D2.

Here's something I built totally from memory, pre-internet.

3838-skydiver.jpg

All the dimensions are off, but you can tell what it is. One day I'll remake it. After I finish the Dragons Domain ship from Space 1999.

SideViewNopaint.jpg

Remade Sky 1 from a kit.

Sky%201.jpg

Guys, great stuff all around, but please keep it on topic ;) Remember, we do have a studio scale and general modeling section, too!

Thanks,
Michael
RPF staff

I am plugging along with the pistol. I have the prototype built - got the molding plastic - but still experimenting before trying the whole pistol. It is coming along. more pics soon.
Thinks for asking.
Gordon
Hi Gordon,
any more work on the pistol?
I'm still in for one (even a discarded prototype) if they come available.
Cheers, Jeff

Ok - it HAPPENED !!! The protoype FELL into a vat of Silcone !!

Although I am not happy with the prototype - because there are so many fixes I want to do. Yet, it would be a shame to just toss out my very first effort. I am still learning about building and casting.

I look at this one as a STUNT version. I am casting a couple of test kits just to learn the process. They are simple one piece fast cast projects. But I know anyone with a little skill can add detail and turn it into something cool. I needed a project to test cast and work out the mix, mold, cleand and rop process.

I am warning everyone that this project is NOT made to the extreme quality of most RPF projects. PLEASE keep in mind - this is my first project in a journey toward excellence. I have NEVER cast anyhting but tests before. You have to start somewhere. :confused

I have a long way to go. ....... :eek

PICS coming soon. The molds are curing. :love

Gordon

The second half of the mold is poured and curing as we speak.

I am expecting a shipment from Smooth on for the resin. We will see how this turns out. I have to snatch the digital camera from my daughter long enough to take a few shots. :love :love

Thanks for the interest.

Gordon

OK - here are some pics. I learned a lot about mold making. I need to experiment with casting. The one piece project seemed the best learning tool. My FIRST prop and my FIRST cast. :eek

I am starting on prototype version two - more detail and fixing mistakes from the first prototype. It has been a wild ride and dream come true to finely make my own kit. :$

THANKS Shawn Morgan for the mentoring ! My phone calls and email !!!

Shawn saved me a lifetime of mistakes. He took the time to help the rookie and shared his knowledge.

This kit would not meet the standards of the real hardline collectors - there are mistakes. I have learned from them. It is like my freshman year at the RPF. This was my first art project. It is not too far off from the first Kindergarden clay art project. Just SMILE and tell the kid that it is "WONDERFUL" - words of encouragement tend to make the child try a second project and the next one is ten times better than the first. It takes a lifetime of practice to become an artist. This is just a first step.

I am proud to have finished a project and cast it. It was my first goal when joining the RPF. Not just to watch and admire others - but create for myself. :love:cry

Thanks to those that have followed and offered encouragement along the way. I am waiting for a Smooth On delivery to pour the first castings later this week. I hope the first pulls will be by the weekend.

This STUNT version would still work ok for distance shots and add to a Gerry Anderson Collection.

In the future - You will SEE:

- HERO UFO Shado Pistol
- UFO Shado Rifle
- Invaders TV series pistol - Season 2
- A Blade Runner CONCEPT pistol project
- A few surprises ..... :love

SEE ATTACHED: :confused

I am not trying to SELL THESE through this thread !!

I don't think I am offering any of these as kits - just because it is not the top quality I want it to be. ANY kits for sale would be through a JUNKYARD thread not this one. This was about the build - the pain - the joy - the journey - not the sale. I think I would take to HARSH critizism on this piece. It is a one peice cast from flawed master. I needed to try just to learn how to do it.

I think it's a HELL of a great start! Far better than I could do, and I'd love to have one like it for my own GA collection.
Until someone produces an original from the show, it's absolutely the best thing going!
Cheers, Jeff

I am FAST at work on a better prototype. BELIEVE me the moment it is finished - it will be falling into silicone RTV for production. I have waited years since I saw UFO dreaming of one day having a pistol for the collection. The second prototype will be far better than the first. But I must say, I still like aspects of this model. The design is certainly in the GERRY ANDERSON style but the ribing on the flash hider - silencer is too pronounced, the count and spacing are not acurate. The overall shape is good - but there are huge differences. When I finished the overall body, I realized errors. I am not happy with the grips - but have learned so much along the process. This is a FULL scratch build. When I got to the end - I could not discard my very first project - then I thought of the STUNT version type. This design would be an easy build for a novice - pull it out of the box and paint. From a distance it looks like a UFO pistol. It feels good in your hand. It is full size when you compare it to the glock. An advanced modeler could fix most of my errors and the finished product could take the added detail like real screws and widgets. :cool :thumbsup The pistol is BIG and takes a lot of resin to fill the mold.

The COST of my education was pretty hefty. The OOMOO RTV is expensive. I ruined a lot before getting it right. I destroyed a test part by putting in acrylic clear resin instead of Smooth On 320. I was in a rush to tes the mold. The mold release had a chemical reaction the smelled like chlorine gas! Jelled in the mold and made the biggest mess you ever saw. :cry The chemical reaction could have hurt someone. BEWARE of follwong directions and mixing only compatable chemicals. :angry I hate directions - but if all else fails - READ THEM. Oh ... and they call them WARNINGS for a reason .....

Thanks for the responses !!! :love:love:love:love the RPF !!!

PICS of the prototype are in the early parts of this thread.

I think you did a great job on this Gordon even it hadn't been your first attempt (it was). Obviously you learned a lot too.

Peter

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back