Chucky TV Series Cable Telemetry Animatronic

SlasherCrafter

Ok, so I have this Cable-Operated Chucky Chucky Doll I have long wanted to build for Halloween season, but couldn't find enough resources on how to make the arms work. I specifically was going for the same type of joint and Bowden cable system as what's in this picture, yet I could figure out how I can be able to make all the joints and everything else that works with each other in the mechanical aspect of the animatronic doll, and plus I am on a limited budget. I have tried to find help from the Stan Winston School of Character Arts, which I KNOW suits more well with the subject, but I am desperate for help. I know a majority of the torso is 3D printed in red filament, and SERVO driven but I know I can replace the servos with a bike cable control joystick yet, I don't know how to make the mechanisms work and doing so properly. I hope any of you guy's can help. If you can, I SURELY appreciate it. Here is a screen grab of the Animatronic doll from the behind the scenes production.

1710615754206.png

I might suggest that before you try to figure out how things can work, you start with a list of what you want the character to do. Fortunately your own body provides the perfect model. First identify the list of every joint you want to model. This will also help you prioritize which joints are the most important to do first. Moving the head is probably more important than moving the waist, Next for each joint, what kinds of motions do you need? The neck can turn the head left and right, and also nod up and down. Do you want both; do you need to do both at the same time? (It makes a difference) Again what is important? Turning the head might be very important, twisting the elbow less important, and twisting the shoulder not important at all. While examining each joint movement also look at the “range of motion”. The human neck can only turn so far in each direction but you might need the creepy effect of being able to turn the head in a complete circle. Once you have your breakdown you can the address each movement problem separately. The one complex mechanism is now a set of much simpler joints. Your breakdown list can now help you see where the solution of one “bending” or hinge motion solution can be used at several body positions. This will help to make standard parts or solutions to reduce cost and speed fabrication. The same is true for“twisting” solutions. When you have a good understanding of what you need, you will be able to do better research and also ask more specific questions when seeking help on forums like this one.

I might suggest that before you try to figure out how things can work, you start with a list of what you want the character to do. Fortunately your own body provides the perfect model. First identify the list of every joint you want to model. This will also help you prioritize which joints are the most important to do first. Moving the head is probably more important than moving the waist, Next for each joint, what kinds of motions do you need? The neck can turn the head left and right, and also nod up and down. Do you want both; do you need to do both at the same time? (It makes a difference) Again what is important? Turning the head might be very important, twisting the elbow less important, and twisting the shoulder not important at all. While examining each joint movement also look at the “range of motion”. The human neck can only turn so far in each direction but you might need the creepy effect of being able to turn the head in a complete circle. Once you have your breakdown you can the address each movement problem separately. The one complex mechanism is now a set of much simpler joints. Your breakdown list can now help you see where the solution of one “bending” or hinge motion solution can be used at several body positions. This will help to make standard parts or solutions to reduce cost and speed fabrication. The same is true for“twisting” solutions. When you have a good understanding of what you need, you will be able to do better research and also ask more specific questions when seeking help on forums like this one.
I will take your advices into consideration. I will now do my research using them. And I do thank you for your help. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back