Gender swapped Captain America TFA 100% done! Slowly adding finished photos!

Re: First build here! Gender swapped Captain America TFA (Update June 8th!)

Hello RPR how are you?

After another break for costume making for charity my progress is back! But It’s been a crappy journey, the first photo is the failed dying of my “100% cotton” herring bone. 10 packages of french blue dye later and it is still baby blue, I am calling shenanigans on it being 100%. So I bought replacement fabric that is 3 shades darker then it was photographed on ebay. It being darker makes the herring bone pattern stand out more. I also managed to pick up some leather gloves from Danier leather for $20! Score.

Then it killed my sewing machine sewing the leather, and went out bought a new one yesterday and flew through the leather work (which is weird because it did all the pouches and straps up to that point with no problems). I ended up just cutting out a US out of the same leather I have been using for all the pouches/straps/the belt so it all matched, and to save me time. I'll be air brushing all the grime on it after FX to make it all stand out. I'm just totally running out of time and still have the costume to sew.

I also dyed the same cotton, as well as all the trim/elastic, in to a muted grey to make it look more dirty like the movie. It took that dye for some unknown reason…

I spent tonight doing piece work so far to sew the thinner trim together for ease in sewing to the shoulder armor later, and sewing all the layers of my straps together. The one is on the master of my rectangle loop and strap slider that I am hopefully going to silicone on Sunday.

Two weeks till FanExpo, let’s do this.

Oh and back to work I go, I'll try to keep everyone updated more, but costume work come first :)

Re: First build here! Gender swapped Captain America TFA

Thank you everyone!

Small update for the night, I finished off all the bullet skuffs and started on the strap brackets for the back!

Also with added goofy picture of me and my lady Loki as Tony.
I was glancing through this thread and saw the thumbnail of you and stark and though WOW! what a great tony stark gotee!! then I clicked it and saw it was drawn on a girl... soniamdisapoint.jpg :lol
I still dont know how im gonna grow that gotee! my beard just doesnt grow that way! :cry

Re: First build here! Gender swapped Captain America TFA (Update August 9th!)

Nice to see the progress. The gloves look awesome.... sorry to hear it was at the price of a sewing machine.

The dark blue really does show the weave better than the baby blue. Where did you get the "suspected" not quite 100% so others know to avoid?
Are you going to lighten the darker blue?

As you can guess, I am still bashing my head against the fabric wall.

Also, not that you would be carrying the toy around with you but the new fabric is almost the color of the Diamond Select TFA figure.

I was glancing through this thread and saw the thumbnail of you and stark and though WOW! what a great tony stark gotee!! then I clicked it and saw it was drawn on a girl... soniamdisapoint.jpg :lol
I still dont know how im gonna grow that gotee! my beard just doesnt grow that way! :cry

And it was drawn by another girl too. She's pro styles at the Stark 'stash so I had her do it for me, in 5 minutes flat. Her trick is a thin brush, grease make up, and making sure you high light some of it to make it look more like hair on your face rather then just make up. Just use thin shirt strokes, slightly blend with a sponge, do a second layer, high light, then set the make up. It should blend in naturally with any facial hair you actually have.

Nice to see the progress. The gloves look awesome.... sorry to hear it was at the price of a sewing machine.

The dark blue really does show the weave better than the baby blue. Where did you get the "suspected" not quite 100% so others know to avoid?
Are you going to lighten the darker blue?

As you can guess, I am still bashing my head against the fabric wall.

Also, not that you would be carrying the toy around with you but the new fabric is almost the color of the Diamond Select TFA figure.

What can I say, sewing machines are not made to last any more. It got me through it's personal hell that was me in college for fashion and still stuck around for a couple years after, so it's had a good life.

I believe it was from the fashion fabrics club. After the first dye, I went back and double checked the site, and it said 100% cotton. (I checked again, and it appears to be out of stock completely, so no more worries there.) Needless to say, I was fuming. As for the new stuff, it's a polyester blend so it won't lighten up at all. I'm going to use it to my advantage to hide my curves and make me look more like I am built like a woman of war and not just the pinup woman painted on the side of a plane. (curves are a curse some times)

I can link you to the ebay seller for my replacement fabric if you don't mind it being dark?

Thanks for the offer but I am trying to stay 100% cotton/natural fiber but I did find a similar darker color in Hemp at 19.95 a yard.

I was too, but this was quite a find at $4-5/meter. So I couldn't really complain :)

Re: First build here! Gender swapped Captain America TFA (Update August 9th!)

Quick update for tonight:

I stared the painting and pulls for my hard ware. I was determined to have a bendable back star, and other then a tumble breaking one of the strap supports and the channel on the bottom piece, I'd say today was a successful day.

Re: First build here! Gender swapped Captain America TFA (Update August 14th!)

Glad to see this build is still going strong :D

Just a question in relation to your belt buckle. I'm assuming it's a resin/plastic pull, and therefore not a working buckle? If that is the case, how are you planning on making the belt workable?

Glad to see this build is still going strong :D

Just a question in relation to your belt buckle. I'm assuming it's a resin/plastic pull, and therefore not a working buckle? If that is the case, how are you planning on making the belt workable?

You would be correct, it's a solid cast. All I did was sew the right side around it, because it's taking all the extra strain of the holster beig strapped to my leg, and on the left I kept an extra 6 inches or so of length to feed through the left side of the buckle, and then Velcro it down behind the pockets.

Your updates are always amazing but I keep being drawn back to your first "Stella" photo.
Can't wait for your full TFA photos.

Super update time!

All my casting and most of the painting is done, I just have one more piece to weather. Most of my sewing is now done too, I just have the shoulder armor and fixing my wig left.

4 more days till I leave for Fan Expo. Let's do this.

(and since there is only 4 days left, I will try to answer any questions you have in a timely manner! I apologize in advance if I can not)

Re: Gender swapped Captain America TFA (80% done as of August 18th!)

OH my god I made it!

I have most of it on, with all the leather hiding off some where in my room because it is waaaay to hot to be wearing it all. I'm kinda glad I am skipping the helmet for now :)

I'll see everyone going to Fan Expo this weekend :)

Amazing! Gender swap is always awesome. You did well with the color of the fabric. I still need to find some...

What was the shaping and casting/molding process you used? Was there mention of you casting more for people to buy? I want to make some of my own but I have no idea how to approach it. :eek:

Thank you!

I shouldn't feel this way about Captain America. :eek

You look great. All the hard work shows.

wow!!!! jealous!!!! great work

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back