Fun question about resins

Marnok

I have 2-part resins which I mix and they set.

While I pour the liquids, I can smell the chemicals. Just faintly.

Does this mean that some tiny trace of each chemical is wafting into my lungs,
where they react....
and set...
coating my lungs in resin?

SUDDEN PARANOIA please convince me I'm being stupid.:unsure

Short answer: no

Long answer: depending on the type of 2 part resin you are using I assume you are using equal parts casting resin? Good, you probably won't stroke out for a good 30 years. However if you are using something one of the more caustic resins, make sure you have death insurance. More likely however is you'll go by cancer, most of the chemicals used by the amazing talents lurking here, can and will cause long term health defects if breathed in for extended periods of time. Oh and brain damage, lots of brain damage.

Best answer: buy a respirator! No point spending years learning all the cool techniques you can, just to spend the rest of your life in a hospital as the price!

thanks, I had a sudden fearful feeling after using some.... I have a cold so I *know* my throat is sore and my breathing a little harder due to that, but once the idea gets in... well, it's like resin fumes, it sets in hard :)

Most two part resins are highly toxic , some more so than others especially the iso cyanocrylic ones , ALWAYS ( and please forgive me for shouting !) always wear a respriator, mask and goggles or safety glasses and always, do it in well ventillated ares or best of all outside!!

Fibreglass resin gives me a massive chemical hangover and sore throat/sinuses the same night.

okay, any guidelines on choosing a respirator? Before my lungs are encased in carbonite and I need to build myself a real working Vader respirator. (Actually I am talking myself into this now.)

Just make sure to get one that gives you complete protection fumes and dust , not a cheap, disposable you have to change say every month.

I lied the one I use is $40.00 3M Tekk Protection Professional Multi-Purpose Respirator. You can change out the cartridges and it is very comfortable.

thanks for the replies, I'll start shopping, desirable features:
1. Protection
2. Comfort
3. Reasonable Price (inc. new filters)
4. Looking a bit like a scifi prop

I just bought a new respirator that has a doubled strap that cradles the back/top of my head, plus a strap that fasten around the back of my neck. It all holds really firmly and stops air leaking around the sides. Well worth looking for this type, and don't worry if it costs a little more - it's worth it.

Are their any vapors that are hazardous after the resin cures? The plastic smell of some masks lead me to believe they could still leach chemicals... is this a concern?

Take it from someone who was born an asthmatic, has lungs that work at 50%, and is sensitive to the smallest things.

Urethane resins are no big deal. Maybe half a step up from epoxies and acrylic paint, which are several steps below the smoke from burning your toast in the morning.

Mid range stuff would be heavy enamel or a spray can.

Stuff you absolutely need a respirator for:

Polyester resins will give you an awful headache, and can take months to fully air out.
Monomer acrylics (powder+liquid) are god awful.
Sanding anything that generates huge amounts of dust, or anything that contains glass.
Airbrushing (this can be argued but that fine nebulized stuff always sets me off)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back