Fringe

You don't think a person should be able to enjoy a show, if they just ketch a random episode?

No.

The only reason you list in defense of this "random KETCH" style is commerce. So it can "get more viewers." We've got enough of that trash crowding up the airwaves, between sitcoms and reality TV. You can tune in and tune out.

I'm shocked that a fan of science fiction would complain that a show is TOO demanding of their attention. Generally, these are the qualities we relish. The details, the depth of the story, the interconnected, ongoing narrative.

No.

The only reason you list in defense of this "random KETCH" style is commerce. So it can "get more viewers." We've got enough of that trash crowding up the airwaves, between sitcoms and reality TV. You can tune in and tune out.

I'm shocked that a fan of science fiction would complain that a show is TOO demanding of their attention. Generally, these are the qualities we relish. The details, the depth of the story, the interconnected, ongoing narrative.

Look, I'm really sorry, someone twisted you guys arms, and forced you into this thread, and made you read posts you don't agree with. I really am.

A person can be a fan, but have complaints. Ask any Star Wars fan. :lol

You don't want more views, then fine. Let your favorite show die, just like most great sci-fi shows, because no-one is watching. There has to be some amount of pandering. It's a business for god sake.

You want it to be all your way, and not reach the general public, then hope this becomes a PBS, show, and then you can send in a ton of money, and keep it on the air all by yourself, other wise, just except that this is a business, an businesses have to make money, or die.

If you love the show just as it is, that is great, I'm glad your happy. I truly hope you continue to enjoy it, and that it stays on the air, for many years. (I can name way to many shows I truly loved, that died fast, because they may have been great to me as a sci-fi fan, but they just weren't cut out for the idiot masses.)

They call it a "Boob tube" for a reason. Smart people should be reading, not watching TV. :lol

Last edited:
If your girlfriend is a huge SF geek, what's wrong with getting the DVDs and watching 'em all straight through?

She has a thing called a life, I know that is a strange concept to nerds, but it really does happen. :lol

She might do just that one day, but for now, It would be nice if she could watch an episode, from time, to time, and not go "What?"

That's why I wrote that they're not making the show for folks like your girlfriend; they're making it to reward an audience that's paying attention.

And four seasons for an SF show on Fox is nearly an unprecedented commercial success.

For me, the success of a show is not rooted in how many years it runs, or how many viewers it gets. Lost was all the better for running six years instead of nine or ten.

The work can and should be judged on its own content, independent of the broken business model that still spits out so much garbage. Defining its success independent of these factors does NOT mean I don't wish it success or some measure of longevity, simply that they are not the rubric by which I will judge their ultimate worth or effectiveness.

Loved last night's episode. Tons of stuff happened. Walter's chapel monologue was awesome. The Walter/Walternate acting is top notch - two completely different forms of anguish and regret. The electrical conducting jelly bit..."Walter, I know". ooooof...perfect. hit me right in the chestal area.

These next two weeks where there is Fri/Sat Fringe/Who is as good a 1-2 tv punch as anything I can imagine. and I can imagine quite a bit.

I like to be rewarded, on an intellectual level, when I commit my valuable free time to a TV show. I put in the hours, I paid attention, and Fringe delivers.

If you want standalone fare, watch Big Bang Theory. It delivers laughs and has a sci-fi friendly atmosphere. Or Sanctuary. It's pretty standalone, most of the time. However, it's also really cheesy and I usually don't go out of my way to catch it. I will sit up straight and watch Fringe, though! It has been a slow build, and it makes my toes curl!

Larry - when they did that 80s intro, I freaked too... it was SUCH a great touch! Like I was watching Otherworld!

Yeah, up until the end of last week's ep I sort of made peace with the idea that it's likely they will have one season left to finish the story. But after the last two minutes of that ep and this trailer I'm now really hoping they get two more years.

That's why I wrote that they're not making the show for folks like your girlfriend; they're making it to reward an audience that's paying attention.

And four seasons for an SF show on Fox is nearly an unprecedented commercial success.

Nice job, Nick; cogent observations and correct spelling. :lol

God you are such an @!$Whole. I have better things to do with my time then fight with a !@#$ like you over a TV show. You win, have your little thread, and your little show. I won't be back to read any more of your pointless poste, so say whatever you like, I wouldn't be reading it.

Though I will say give you this tip, lay off my girlfriend. I can refer to her, she's with me, but you don't go making broad, insulting, assumptions about someone else's partner, who you don't know, and who is not here to represent themselve. In short, grow up jerk.

Many interesting developments in the penultimate & season finale!

Everything has gone to crap by 2026!
"Gray" title sequence!
Cool future Fringe Division patches.
Brad Dourif!
Olivia's niece is all growed up! :):thumbsup
Dunham can work her Cortexiphan-powers....kinda!
:confused No indication that the other Cortexiphan kids, nor any of the other Massive Dynamic projects are being utilized for any purpose.
Viking funeral!
Bridging the universes!
If Peter never existed, why would Walter have gone over there?
Many Observers! Taking a more active role in next season perhaps?
:unsure The explanation for Sam Weiss & The First People isn't as interesting as the idea of an actual semi-extinct race of "first people".

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back