Flynn Rider Completed! Studio pics with Rapunzel pg 5!

Re: Halloween- Flynn Rider from Tangled

Very good, still it does lack one thing: a frying pan.

It's missing a lot more than that so far! But if I have time, I may get around to making one (I'd rather have a fake resin one than carry around 8 lbs of frying pan!).

8lbs of frying pan builds character! Besides by putting this costume on you need to be careful around white horses.

T_T

I die.

Most beautiful fan-made doublet I have EVER seen.

And from the little I can see, I think you're going to be a GREAT Flynn! And an actual guy one!!! There are so few... I always wonder why. Easily the best Disney male since Aladdin.

Following this thread with stars in my eyes and inspired to make a thread for my Rapunzel WIP which is also for Halloween!... but it seems it's mostly guys here so I think it might just sink to the depths...

Anyways, AMAZING amazing work so far and I can't wait to see it progress further. :love

Aaalmost done with the satchel, I just need to buy a toggle and put it on the flap, and then maybe a bit more weathering. Here's the progress!

DSCN2553.jpg

Great work! The leather vest look very nice. You can make a Klingon's costume easily with your level of skills.

*PIC HEAVY POST*

Well the vest needs buckles. Here's a shot of what they look like:
draft_lens13840301module124604011photo_10_1286496548Vest_Buckles.jpg

Since I have no idea where to go about buying something like that, I had to make them.
I got some sculpey clay and went to work:
DSCN2546.jpg

I used this belt buckle as my mini cooking sheet in the oven.
DSCN2547.jpg

Finished clay version, including some good sanding.
DSCN2563.jpg

I understand that hot glue is generally a bad molding agent. It needs to be applied quickly, it sticks to things, and it can break after it dries. But I decided to use it anyway, cuz i'm rebellious like that.
DSCN2564.jpg

(Simulated look once covered in glue)
DSCN2565.jpg

After carefully removing the clay version, I painted the inside with gold paint as a crude release agent. Worked better than I thought it would!
DSCN2566.jpg

A piece of bent coat hanger goes inside to give it some strength, as it will have to hold the doublet closed and I don't want it to break.
DSCN2567.jpg

Fits!
DSCN2568.jpg

Mix up a bit of this stuff here... super cheap casting material!
DSCN2570.jpg

Carefully pour some into the mold...
DSCN2572.jpg

Let it cure, pop it out, and paint with a cleaner layer of gold paint
DSCN2573.jpg

Buckles!!
DSCN2574.jpg

I need 5 total, and I'll be making the belt buckle the same way probably. Unless someone can suggest a better way!!

I think it'd be a shame to use painted resin buckles on a real leather doublet, espeically one so well crafted as yours.

Have you considered buying a handful of brass halter buckles and sawing the center bar out of them?

halter buckle
They've got a variety of sizes in solid brass, so you could find one in about the right size, cut out the center bar, file the break down smoothe (and buff the laquer off the rest of the buckle while you've got the abrading tools out,) and strap it to the doublet as if it was a D ring.

You'd also have the center bar and the prong left over, which you could use to make the catch. Just hammer the prong backwards over a file or screwdriver head, cut off the excess right past the bend and round off the end with a file. Then all you'd have to do is cut a slot in a small square of the blue leather, feed the hook you made through the slot (with the center bar behind it on the nap side of the leather,) sew and rivet the leather down to the doublet and the center bar would hold it.

Like so:
catch.jpg

Since Tandy (or whoever you end up using if you go this route) supplies the same style of buckle in a range of sizes, you could get a larger version of the same buckle for your belt.

Thanks for the comments on the sporran, by the way! I tooled the front and back panels out of the 14 oz. leather, and used the 6 oz. for the sraps and the gusset.

Last edited:

Ooh, I like those buckles! I might get some of those, it'd be nice to have real metal ones! They aren't quite the right shape, but a little work with a hammer or bench grinder might fix that. Thanks!

Meh, those buckles don't look almost anything like the ones in the movie. But I appreciate your interest and help! It's really encouraging to see people following the thread!!

I think the homemade buckles shows ingenuity. I wouldn't change it.

I've been stripping off the paint and making them better--a little Bondo, lots more sanding, and repainting. They look better. I'm still not discounting the idea of buying metal ones, but only if I can find them in a store, I don't trust online sizing.

Completed (but not attached) buckle assembly!

DSCN2582.jpg

That photo is larger than I meant for it to be. Oh well, lots of detail!

Ya, that looks good, modern buckles are to perfect. I take it this movie was set near the renaissance era. Lots of buckles would be made of iron and look very similar.

The doublet is super close to completion!
Unless I discover perfect buckles, I'm gonna go with my home-made ones. I've cleaned up all five of them, so they're smooth, sanded, and all nearly identical, with a nice brushed-brass look to them. I don't have access to the rivet tools at the moment, but once I do I'll attach all the clasps where they belong.
Also, I got the sleeve studs in. Easiest decoration ever, just some brass brads.

DSCN2584.jpg

I've weathered the leather around the clasps, I'll get around to the rest of the doublet soon!

For anyone watching this thread, you may also be interested in seeing the Rapunzel WIP by aelynn000 here!

Today's project was his hip pouch, where I presume he carried all his stuff, as he doesn't appear to have pockets.

Best screenshot I know of:
draft_lens13840301module124607901photo_4_1286485334knapsack.jpg

Here's what I have so far.
DSCN2585.jpg

DSCN2586.jpg

DSCN2587.jpg

It's still missing the clasp/button (what is that thing?) and some large, hard-to-see-in-this-shot stitching around one of the seams. Maybe a bit of weathering, as well.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back