Flexible Paint for EVA foam?

I'm glad the flexbond idea is catching on... this product is such a godsend when it comes to painting foam (and making sure the paint will stick to the foam).

I've never tried it (mixing it with so much paint)... but I have a friend who showed me what it looks like and I didn't like it.

I don't know how much paint he put in there and how he applied it (and that may make a big difference in the end result) but the flexbond has a noticeable thickness when cured (you can clearly see where you've put flexbond on a piece of foam and where you forgot to put some). So when mixing it with paint and giving more than 1 coat (you'll need more than 1 coat to get a "solid" color... you could see each layer of paint.

What I mean is that it was noticeable (up close) that the paint was not all on the same "level" (because of that thickness that flexbond has).

So, I prefer leaving my flexbond as is when I apply it to foam... or will only taint it a bit (maybe 10 part flexbond to 1 part paint) when I'm working with a colored foam that I know I'll have difficulty covering up with the color I'm using to paint this piece with.

I had planned to use Dupli-Color's Vinyl/Fabric spray paint (they have one that comes pretty close to the auto paint color I'm using for my son's IM hard armor).

Here is a test I did with this paint on thin rubber, craft foam and plastic. It work well on all three surfaces.

5648369326_96775f27b5.jpg

Also, here is my recent test of standard auto paint over plasti-dip: HERE

Has anyone had any luck with Adhesion Promoter products? Sorta like this BULLDOG product?

fullmetalsam - sorry, its not mixing with paint, its mixing with colored primer. or acrylic craft paint may work

I just picked up some Dupli-Color Adhesive Promoter and tested it with a rough 3mm EVA Closed-Cell foam piece I threw together earlier this week. After 3 coats of this Adhesive Promoter, I hit the piece with 3 coats of the Sunburst Gold Auto Paint (also from Dupli-Color). Here is the result video...

As mentioned in the video, the only downside to this seems to be a slight dimpling or pot-mark pattern to the paint. This shot was done after ANOTHER coat (that would be the fourth coat) was applied to this test piece.

5769148098_924ef8eb62.jpg

All in all, I think I'm using this method for the pieces I want TOTALLY flexible. I might modify this slightly for foam pieces I harden with epoxy (or Plasti-Dip).

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back