Firefly - Mal Reynolds

I replied to your PM - for anyone else reading this, the stripe isn't corduroy, but 1 inch, striped grosgrain ribbon that I dyed.

(as per information given to me by Shawna Trpcic)

Hey Guardian Devil,
I have already completed my Firefly Mal costume and at present am working on completing my Serenity Mal costume as well. If you like I can send you some pics of my costume, however you will need to send me your PM and either post them yourself or use them for reference. I have had difficulty in attaching any pics to this forum. Let me know.

omallie970:)

I've really been wanting to start a new costume project and after finishing up my replica Firefly pistol from a member here I thought I'd go all out and get an entire Mal costume done.
Anyone tackled this costume already? I'd love to see some pictures or hear about it.

So far I've got a pair of the gloves, found a really good shirt for the costume and located a source for some great looking canvas saddle pants and a replica of Mals brown coat.
I've also found a local belt and harness maker who wants to have a go at making the gunbelt and holster for me. Anyone know of any good clear pictures of it kicking around out there? I need to try and knock up some measurements and good refference pictures for him.

I'm also still on the hunt for the PAL Comm unit, the right style suspenders and a pair of similar boots to complete the costume. Any help would be really great.

Here's a look at what I've got so far:

MalPistol.jpg
Pistol
MalGloves.jpg
Black leather gloves
MalShirt.jpg
Deep redish/brown corded shirt

Thanks for the offer, but with help from Shawna, J.Logan and a few members here I completed this costume a few years ago. I'm amazed to see this thread still kicking 3 years on :lol

Dumb question, but what the heck is a "corded shirt? Is that like corduroy?

And I'm still not sure what pants to get, I know there Wester riding pants, but there are so many different brands and styles. Mostly I need to know how many packets to get. I see quite a few pair that look like Mal's to me, but come in different numbers of packets. (like 4, 5, etc pockets.)

Oh, and is there a cheep option for the gloves?

For anyone still interested in finding the right suspenders, Try VectorArms
and These brown leather strips.

The back of the suspenders DO need to be modified below the crosspiece, though. Good luck with that.

THIS, is his pistol belt.

Last edited:
For anyone still interested in finding the right suspenders, Try VectorArms
and These brown leather strips.

The back of the suspenders DO need to be modified below the crosspiece, though. Good luck with that.

THIS, is his pistol belt.

Hey great info. :) I already did mine. (turned out really nice too.) but it took a LOT of searching to find the correct harnis to start with.

Hey great info. :) I already did mine. (turned out really nice too.) but it took a LOT of searching to find the correct harnis to start with.

Yeah, I still dunno where to get the pant stripe, but I got a guy custom building TV show boots for me. He's gunna craft the soles himself.

I think the suspenders are elastic between the rear cross bit and the brown leather 'leaf', but I haven't seen a good screenshot yet of how the button hole strip connects to the metal ring hanging off the 'leaf'.

I was SO hoping to get this finished before the local "Can't stop the Serenity" event, too.

I through a Mal costume together for a local con, and I'm hopping to upgrade it before my next event. Unfortunately only on person took a picture of it, and they haven't contacted me yet. :(

Here's what I did.

For the paints I used a pare of modifide dockers, with a stip of cordaroy down each leg. When I loose weight, I'll get the correct paints, and a guy at the con, said he got his (very accurate looking) stripes for his pants at an army navy story (or something like that). He said that there for a cop uniform, from one of the southern states. (he couldn't recall witch state, but I'll be looking into it soon. )

For the suspenders, I used one of those Israly battle harnesses, and then I got a pare of button on suspenders from the threft store, and that gave me everything I needed to do them. I just took a carpet knife between the layers of fabric in the back of the harness, to carefully cut the stitching at the bottom, and remove the two straps y9ou don't need, and then cut the suspenders to the correct length, tucked them up in the opening left by the removal of those straps, and sowed them down. I took one of the little leather thingys from the suspenders that hold the button dealies, and sowed it to the "leather leaf", and that's about it. (Ok that was about as clear as mud. :( )

I made my holster out of vinyl. It was ment to be just a mock up, but I ran out of time, so I just went with is.

I just used a pare of sip up, brown, vinyl, "jedi boots" from ebay.

A maroon ish shirt I got at the thrift store.

For the belt I used a lugar belt, I got on ebay.

I (sith some stiching help) did the coat. I'll what to say more on that when I have pics, but it was a steel. :)

Altogether, it didn't cost me more then $100. (and that's on the high side, I think it was actually a lot less then that.)

I know a lot of people will say it's not accurate, and make a funs, but you know what, I got complements all day, and if I had more time, there were people that kept wanting to get pics with me. :) One guy who paid a ton for his coat, asked me were I go9t mine, and said it look a lot better then his. (mine cost me less then $10. :lol) There was a guy there with a dead on, high end Mal costume, with all the whole 9 yards, and one lady walk past him, walk up to me, and said "I've been to a lot of these things, and yours, is the best Mal costume I've seen" . I felt kind of bad, since mine was so cheep, and I knew all the problems with it, evne if those folks didn't.

Well, I got a J. Logan coat after I missed getting the Original off of Ebay last month. (I was first loser.)
I got pants and a blue shirt off Wild West Mercantile.
Pistol rig from Browncoat fashions, replacing the belt they gave me with the pistol belt I linked to above.

I have a QMX pistol and a Sidkit I haven't yet touched.

Basically I'm down to boots that are being custom fabricated for me, and weathering the Sidkit and putting walnut grips on it.
And I want to get me TWO PALs that I can really wire up for use at Cons.
(Maybe a message recorder and some cashy-money to pocket for effect, to. I dunno.)

For the leg stripe, I just ordered the 1" nylon brown strip that the sheriff's departments use on their slacks and attached that to the pants. The pants are normal frontier pants.

I have the Israeli suspenders that have been modded with a pair of tan Dickie suspenders. I have the Abbyshot browncoat and I LOVE it. For the holster, I went with Browncoat fashions, but I will probably upgrade to one from my normal leatherwork guy who is doing my wife's Zoe rig.

I have the Leather Boutique boots from Argentina and I have to say, they are superb for the price.

Wes

Sorry about bringing up such an old thread, but what are the options for reasonably accurate trouser stripes nowadays? The only at all good options I've been able to find after a ton of searching are this and this and they'll both cost over $30 including shipping and fees, and I'm not paying that for a little bit of ribbon.

Sorry about bringing up such an old thread, but what are the options for reasonably accurate trouser stripes nowadays? The only at all good options I've been able to find after a ton of searching are this and this and they'll both cost over $30 including shipping and fees, and I'm not paying that for a little bit of ribbon.
the dark brown and beige option on the 2nd one you posted is about as screen accurate as you're going to find.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back