Firefly Captain Malcolm Reynolds

mburkit

I have been re-watching "Firefly" with my wife, as she has never seen the series and I have it on Blu-ray. As we have been watching through the series, I was reminded how much I love this show. I have had a metal replica of Mal's pistol from almost 10 years ago from a run I believe was completed by Sarednab. I figured I would work on securing the rest of the costume. As of this post, I have the more common pieces of Mal's costume sourced, including a button down maroon shirt; high waisted pants; and gloves. I recently purchased 1" wide cotton fabric tape and dyed it the correct dark brown color. I will be having the tape sewn to my pants and having them hemmed to fit me correctly.

I have found 2 different IDF sets of web gear that I am waiting to show up on my door step. The reason I purchased 2 was because the first 1 I purchased was from a military surplus store's website that looks like it was created in 2010. After I got the confirmation email for the purchase, I did not get any other information about the item being shipped. I got nervous about possibly not receiving the web gear from that site, so I continued my search on ebay and found a set outside of the United States. As of this morning, I now have shipping information for both the Mil Surp website AND the ebay purchase. When I first set out to make this costume, I was worried I wouldn't find any of these suspenders, but now I have 2 sets coming to me. I will probably sell one of these once I have both in hand.

The last 2 pieces of the costume that I am waiting on are boots and the iconic brown coat. Sadly, the best replica I could find of the boots were on aliexpress, so I have a pair of those coming from China. They aren't accurate, but they are better than the "buccaneer" boots I see many people use. The brown coat is coming from a company that is custom making it for me. Once I have that coat, I will share photos of it and will review my source, in case anyone would be interested in one.

Lastly, here is a photo of what I have so far. I'm looking forward to dying my suspender and modifying them to attach to the pants.

363415035_10130466471473834_8434321443092496575_n.jpg

I'm so glad that folks are still collecting/cosplaying Firefly. I've scaled down my collection but I will always keep my Firefly stuff. My Sidkit Model 47 is my prized possession that I'll never part with.

Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 2.57.50 PM.png

Funny Internet Firearms Database is using my Zoe pistol I built

Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 3.00.28 PM.png

I'm so glad that folks are still collecting/cosplaying Firefly. I've scaled down my collection but I will always keep my Firefly stuff. My Sidkit Model 47 is my prized possession that I'll never part with.
Thanks! Yeah, I love my Model 47 as well. I prefer my replica firearms to be made out of some sort of metal so they have some weight to them.

As for the rest of the costume, I am excited to build it and then hopefully wear it later this year. I normally costume as a Ghostbuster, so I am excited to not have 30lbs of crap on my back.

Thanks! Yeah, I love my Model 47 as well. I prefer my replica firearms to be made out of some sort of metal so they have some weight to them.

As for the rest of the costume, I am excited to build it and then hopefully wear it later this year. I normally costume as a Ghostbuster, so I am excited to not have 30lbs of crap on my back.

I’ve costumes as Mal before and most people think it’s a civil war costume but the ones that get it, love it!

I’ve costumes as Mal before and most people think it’s a civil war costume but the ones that get it, love it!
Yeah, I assume not everyone will get it. I have a habit of rocking outfits from properties from the 80's, 90's, and early 2000's. Unless you're wearing something from the last 3 years, most people don't care (unless they are huge fans of the property you are representing).

I have been re-watching "Firefly" with my wife, as she has never seen the series and I have it on Blu-ray. As we have been watching through the series, I was reminded how much I love this show. I have had a metal replica of Mal's pistol from almost 10 years ago from a run I believe was completed by Sarednab. I figured I would work on securing the rest of the costume. As of this post, I have the more common pieces of Mal's costume sourced, including a button down maroon shirt; high waisted pants; and gloves. I recently purchased 1" wide cotton fabric tape and dyed it the correct dark brown color. I will be having the tape sewn to my pants and having them hemmed to fit me correctly.

I have found 2 different IDF sets of web gear that I am waiting to show up on my door step. The reason I purchased 2 was because the first 1 I purchased was from a military surplus store's website that looks like it was created in 2010. After I got the confirmation email for the purchase, I did not get any other information about the item being shipped. I got nervous about possibly not receiving the web gear from that site, so I continued my search on ebay and found a set outside of the United States. As of this morning, I now have shipping information for both the Mil Surp website AND the ebay purchase. When I first set out to make this costume, I was worried I wouldn't find any of these suspenders, but now I have 2 sets coming to me. I will probably sell one of these once I have both in hand.

The last 2 pieces of the costume that I am waiting on are boots and the iconic brown coat. Sadly, the best replica I could find of the boots were on aliexpress, so I have a pair of those coming from China. They aren't accurate, but they are better than the "buccaneer" boots I see many people use. The brown coat is coming from a company that is custom making it for me. Once I have that coat, I will share photos of it and will review my source, in case anyone would be interested in one.

Lastly, here is a photo of what I have so far. I'm looking forward to dying my suspender and modifying them to attach to the pants.

View attachment 1722708
Is there a color code or anything on the tag of those Scully trousers? I've been looking for a pair for my Mal cosplay and the colors they make seem to show up pretty different in different listings I've seen, and yours look just about perfect.

My IDF Suspenders showed up today. These are the ones from the shady looking Mil Surp website. They can be found here: RDD USA.

suspenders 1.jpg
These are them after I striped them off the rest of the web gear and remove most of the hardware.

I plan on dying them soon then I have to modify the back to install elastic bands.

Also, another issue I have run into was the first pair of Scully Pants I ordered are too big (guess I lost more weight than I thought). When I went to order the correct size for myself, they are backordered until September. So I may try my hand at taking in the ones I currently have. If I completely mess it up, then I have the correct size coming in September. We'll see.

Sadly, the best replica I could find of the boots were on aliexpress, so I have a pair of those coming from China. They aren't accurate, but they are better than the "buccaneer" boots I see many people use.
I'd love to hear your review of the boots when you get them.

For years I've been using a pair of those cheap vinyl Funtasma "Captain" boots that I did fake distressing on with Liquitex paint.

They finally fell apart and I bought a new pair, here they are side by side.

It's hard to find footwear in size 14UK 15US and the Funtasma XL fit perfectly.

PE9xXWX.jpg

I'd love to hear your review of the boots when you get them.

For years I've been using a pair of those cheap vinyl Funtasma "Captain" boots that I did fake distressing on with Liquitex paint.

They finally fell apart and I bought a new pair, here they are side by side.

It's hard to find footwear in size 14UK 15US and the Funtasma XL fit perfectly.

View attachment 1723504
Yeah once they show up, I will be sure to share photos and comment upon them. I believe the boots I have coming from China are made from the same material as the boots you posted.

I’ve costumed as Mal before and most people think it’s a Civil War costume but the ones that get it, love it!
That's how my Alan Quatermain costume went!

Most people didn't recognise me at all, or thought I was a Jedi. Many said "hey, you're... that guy from... that thing!"

Worse, in a way, were the people who DID recognise me! They'd say "oh I saw that movie. It's not as bad as everybody says it is".

Attachments

• 86AMuOd.jpg
    86AMuOd.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 100
That's how my Alan Quatermain costume went!

Most people didn't recognise me at all, or thought I was a Jedi. Many said "hey, you're... that guy from... that thing!"

Worse, in a way, were the people who DID recognise me! They'd say "oh I saw that movie. It's not as bad as everybody says it is".

That’s great! League of Extraordinary Gentleman is one of my favorite popcorn flicks.

My IDF Suspenders showed up today. These are the ones from the shady looking Mil Surp website. They can be found here: RDD USA.

View attachment 1723055
These are them after I striped them off the rest of the web gear and remove most of the hardware.

I plan on dying them soon then I have to modify the back to install elastic bands.

Also, another issue I have run into was the first pair of Scully Pants I ordered are too big (guess I lost more weight than I thought). When I went to order the correct size for myself, they are backordered until September. So I may try my hand at taking in the ones I currently have. If I completely mess it up, then I have the correct size coming in September. We'll see.
If you're unable to order or can't wait, try adding a couple darts to the back of the pants to bring the waistline in. Even with your correct size they may not fit 100% due to the nature of the pants wanting to "float" because of the suspenders.

For those looking for a Browncoat from the "Guy" that made the originals Brown Coat | jalogan
Also, a company called Abbeyshot did them years ago, but have been out of business for a while. Every so often you can find them on eBay, not 100% accurate but don't usually come with the J. Logan price tag. There was also another company run by fans. They were using the Logan patterns and same supplier of the correctly dyed deerskin and Logans buckles. That's where I got mine, I'll take some pics of it and the boots from one of the replica makers from years ago this evening.

So glad to see folks still rockin' Mal!

Last edited:
If you're unable to order or can't wait, try adding a couple darts to the back of the pants to bring the waistline in. Even with your correct size they may not fit 100% due to the nature of the pants wanting to "float" because of the suspenders.

For those looking for a Browncoat from the "Guy" that made the originals Brown Coat | jalogan
Also, a company called Abbeyshot did them years ago, but have been out of business for a while. Every so often you can find them on eBay, not 100% accurate but don't usually come with the J. Logan price tag. There was also another company run by fans. They were using the Logan patterns and same supplier of the correctly dyed deerskin and Logans buckles. That's where I got mine, I'll take some pics of it and the boots from one of the replica makers from years ago this evening.

So glad to see folks still rockin' Mal!

I have a company called, "The Jacket Maker" making my jacket. They had already made one for another customer. I had asked them to make some modifications to their design; specifically they were making it with the front and back of the coat "paneled" to make it cheaper and not have to use as large of a piece of leather. I went with them because they were willing to make the coat the way I wanted and they also make their own buckles for the jacket that look similar to the real deal. With all of this said, I have only paid for the coat at this point. Here is hoping they follow through with making it the way I want it and it arrives safely at my home. I will do a review of it and share photos once it is done.

Got around to dying my IDF suspenders. Came out a little darker than I would have wanted. Going to probably hit them with color stripper to lighten them up. Also have brown elastic to replace the back straps. Then I get to mess with leather to complete the back side of these things.

PXL_20230728_223459715.jpg

Also decided to take in my Scully pants since they are already getting hemmed and having the fabric tape added to them. We'll see how they come out. Worst case scenario: I just try again in 2 months when the back ordered pair I ordered in the smaller size show up.

Those buckles look so nice, I wish there was someone who made reproductions. I know Abbyshot sold some leftovers they had at one point and I came across a set for sale on Etsy many years ago (when my cosplay budget was far smaller than it is today), but those were all I ever saw. I'm pretty happy with how the coat I made turned out (especially considering it only cost me about $60, mostly for the old couch I tore apart for the leather) but a set of more accurate buckles would be really nice.
358999778_1099279631476801_4593158422899196448_n.jpg

Great to see a fresh Captain Mal build thread! I FINALLY got around to debuting my suit at SDCC last week. Not a TON of love for the suit, but the few folks who did recognize me were super jazzed by the costume. The strangest one was someone asked me if I was Sherlock Holmes. So that was weird.

FOR BOOTS, I cannot recommend Cosplay Studio Boheme enough. I sent them a pair of accurate soles that I got from a pair of shoes on ebay and tons of reference materials, and to my eye these are absolutely perfect. Check out my IG for pics

And thank you for that link on the pants. I have gotten the wrong color like FOUR times now but the Wheat ones seem right. That's the one remaining todo item for my costume, then I will consider it done.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back