Firefly Captain Malcolm Reynolds

they were plentiful on ebay when I went looking six months ago. I hope you have the same luck
I found a pair on Mercari in my size. I also reached out to that individual on Instagram that made your boots, Studiobohemecosplay. I am hoping they get back to me because I would love for them to also make me a pair of boots with the shoes I just purchased. Did you reach out to them via private message on instagram or is there another way of contacting them?

EDIT: I found their ordering form and completed that. I hope to hear from them soon.

Last edited:
Got a hold of some size 12US Mephisto boating shoes with the correct style sole. Now to get them turned into boots.

PXL_20230804_005700684.jpgPXL_20230804_005823457.jpg

Welp, my Mephisto boating shoes are headed to the Philippines to be transformed into space cowboy boots.

Also finished up taking in my pants and adding the brown stripes to the sides. Suspenders are coming along. I need to finish the leather work on the back elastic straps. But the outfit is somewhat wearable, sans the boots and brown coat.

IMG_20230806_213723.jpgIMG_20230806_213744.jpgIMG_20230806_213803.jpg

The cheaper, Chinese boots are supposed to show up sometime this week. I'll have to give a review of them once they are here.

Hand cut and sewn the back of my suspenders together today in some of my free time. These suckers are done now. Just waiting on boots and brown coat then I'll call this costume complete.

PXL_20230808_203001666.jpgIMG_20230808_164702.jpg

Welp, my cheap, AliExpress boots showed up. They definitely feel like $70. I am pretty sure they are vinyl. They roughly look the part but they feel like I'm wearing vinyl socks with boot soles glued onto them. When photographing them, I had to stick wine bottles inside them to get them to stand up straight.

PXL_20230810_210140251.jpgPXL_20230810_210148159.jpgPXL_20230810_210213480.jpgPXL_20230810_210159228.jpgPXL_20230810_210241603.jpgPXL_20230810_204959464.jpg
Are they passable? Yes. Could you wear them to a convention? Sure, but I would make sure you have another pair of shoes to switch out of in case these suckers implode on you. If I hadn't found accurate base shoes and someone to turn them into fairly accurate boots, I would pick these over other captain's boots out there (mainly because of the look).

Got photos from the company custom making my brown coat. They made the coat to my measurements and they even made their own buckles. I am excited to get it shipped out to me. I plan on weathering the buckles and I am strongly debating if I add the gun shot to the left arm. . .

received_988589782214735.jpegreceived_727726532705211.jpegreceived_760826766060760.jpegreceived_640403224844939.jpeg

My boots made by Studio Boheme on instagram made from Mephisto Spinnaker shoes as the donors for the soles finally showed up today. I am SUPER happy with them. They turned out great! Took longer than expected but I guess they had staffing issues or something during the last quarter of last year. But they eventually did show up and are of high quality. I am excited to wear them the next time I rock the costume again.

Attachments

• Finished Boots.jpg
    Finished Boots.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 26
My boots made by Studio Boheme on instagram made from Mephisto Spinnaker shoes as the donors for the soles finally showed up today. I am SUPER happy with them. They turned out great! Took longer than expected but I guess they had staffing issues or something during the last quarter of last year. But they eventually did show up and are of high quality. I am excited to wear them the next time I rock the costume again.

Those look GREAT! I wanted to take a moment and thank you for this thread. I'm a very recently converted Browncoat, having for the first time watched the series through and Serenity for the first time in January 2024. I instantly wanted to make a Mal costume, and your thread has been invaluable in helping me do so.

I did want to ask though, when you bought your Spinnaker shoes, did you go for the brand's recommended fit, or did you size down at all? I have a pair of them that are my "recommended fit", but the soles themselves are quite a bit longer than my actual foot. Is that going to be a problem when I send my own shoes to get converted?

Those look GREAT! I wanted to take a moment and thank you for this thread. I'm a very recently converted Browncoat, having for the first time watched the series through and Serenity for the first time in January 2024. I instantly wanted to make a Mal costume, and your thread has been invaluable in helping me do so.

I did want to ask though, when you bought your Spinnaker shoes, did you go for the brand's recommended fit, or did you size down at all? I have a pair of them that are my "recommended fit", but the soles themselves are quite a bit longer than my actual foot. Is that going to be a problem when I send my own shoes to get converted?
Thanks for the compliment. The shoe size I went with was my regular size shoe (US size 12 mens). They fit me fine prior to shipping them off to be transformed into boots. I just tried them on as boots and they still fit well. So I went with my normal size.

Now that I have my boots, I wanted to take full costume photos. After trying everything on again, I realized I've lost enough weight now that my pants are SUPER baggy so I am going to have to tailor a new pair before I wear this costume out and about. Other than my pants being too big, I am super happy with how it all turned out for me.

IMG_20240206_101503.jpg
IMG_20240206_101535.jpg

This is pretty much it! Other than updating my pants, this costume is done!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back