FIREFLY DATAPAD HELP NEEDED

Originally posted by DuneMuadDib@Jan 28 2006, 01:29 PM
Just got mine in.  8110 looks right to me :)

Took out the board that plugs into the palm, and the organizer sits a lot better in the Type N Go now.

Now to figure out that cover fitting...
[snapback]1170592[/snapback]​

Got pics of your 8110? I'm assuming it comes with the cover?

It's hard to tell in some auction pictures from poor lighting and the use of stock photos, but it looks like the 8110 has the grey cover and grey trim around the screen while the -8121 has blue colors. I'm not sure what the -8131 has, but I'll find out in a couple days.

Just to be safe, I picked up an -8110 also to go with my -8121 and -8131. These things are so cheap I figured I'd get a few just in case I mess up with the cutting of the screen cover.

The mailman just walked up with both my Palm TnG and my Franklin 8110, woohoo.

As amish said, getting the cover cut to the right size is going to be determined by how far the PDA is pressed down into the case. I don't think the TnG has been widened...I'm leaning more towards the PDA cover being judiciously trimmed to fit the way we see it in the screencaps.

The PDA is just a *hair* wider than the TnG case and presses in very firmly. In amish's second picture, he's got it stuck in there so it's basically sitting even with the case. He could also have pressed the top of the PDA down all the way so it angles down at the top like this:

tngo-3.jpg

I've been playing around with both "installation methods" under some varying lighting conditions to try and match the screencap, and so far my results are...inconclusive.

At times it looks as though the PDA might actually be somewhere in between amish's and my pictures, and then at other times it looks like it could be at either extreme. If anyone else has any ideas on how to more accurately determine the position of the PDA, I'm all ears. :)

Pardon the pic, I can't photograph anything sharply to save my life.
dscn31515tv.jpg

This is natural lighting. Looks right to me.

After I took out that plug in piece at the bottom the PDA sits flush against the bottom. Looks better to me, and it the TnG closes better.

Originally posted by DuneMuadDib@Jan 28 2006, 04:22 PM
After I took out that plug in piece at the bottom the PDA sits flush against the bottom.  Looks better to me, and it the TnG closes better.
[snapback]1170642[/snapback]​

Ah, you'd think I would have tried that the *first* time you posted it. :lol

You're right, it looks really good that way. If I wasn't going out tonight, I'd work on getting the cover trimmed down...so now it's "If my hangover's not too bad tomorrow, I'll work on getting the cover trimmed down." :D

Originally posted by DuneMuadDib@Jan 28 2006, 04:49 PM
You're picking drinking over props?

Man, gotta work on those priorities ;)
[snapback]1170657[/snapback]​
Yeah, I know...but my priorities and my wife's just don't coincide at times. :lol

Thanks for the pics. That does look great. Let us know how the trimming goes. I plan on using my dremel at low speeds so as not to melt the plastic.

Now I really can't wait to get my Franklins and TnG. :cry

*EDIT* - Oh, one more thing...for those of you with your Franklins, how hard/easy does it look to take apart?

I think I am going to try the flush fitting as well and trim the screen guard down. I will wait for my 8110 to get here before I do anything.

The franklin looks pretty easy to disassemble. There are 4 screws on the back, but 2 of them appear for the battery cover, possibly there may be 2 more under it... not sure, but it should be no problems to take apart

Actually looking at this pic, I believe they trimmed the sides of the screen guard so it will fit nicely in the unit. I will try it on Monday or Tuesday when I have access to more tools at work.

pda4good3al.jpg

Until then, I look forward to everyone's progress.

Tom

Lookin good. Looks like you need just a little more silver showing above the screen.

How did you trim the cover? What kinda paint did you use? It looks a little whacky in that second pic, that just the way it photographed?

Originally posted by dr_slurpee@Feb 2 2006, 03:48 PM
Has anyone else gotten their Franklin Rolodexes? I am curious to see what colours the other models are.
[snapback]1174298[/snapback]​

Got my 8121 this morning. Dark blue & silver.

Originally posted by dr_slurpee@Feb 2 2006, 11:48 AM
Has anyone else gotten their Franklin Rolodexes? I am curious to see what colours the other models are.
Mine came in the other day. It's the 8110, gray & silver. Looks just like the screen-used to me. *shrugs*

Originally posted by dr_slurpee@Feb 2 2006, 06:48 AM

I have the -8121 and -8131 in hand. I'm expecting my -8110 to show up any day now.

The -8121 is blue (cover and screen edge).
The -8131 is black (cover and screen edge).
And from the pics I've seen, the -8110 is the accurate (grey) version.

I plan on posting pictures of all three side-by-side to show the difference whenever my -8110 arrives.

Alright, my -8110 showed up today and as promised, here's some pics...

ff1.jpg

ff2.jpg

From the screencaps, I'm pretty convinced that the -8110 is the correct color. Of course, with a little bit of paint, any of them will work. ;)

With the PDA adapter removed, the Franklin sits in there quite nicely and allows the Type 'N Go to close.

Now I just have to do some trimming and gutting. :D

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back