FINISHED - Hasbro Hero X Wing Conversion 30" 1:18 Scale

yaris

Sr Member

I got this X Wing because of it's size as I've always wanted a big one;)...and at 700mm long (30") it's the largest commercially available.

It's basically a big toy, but it has a lot of potential with some reasonable accuracy.

The wings are one solid piece, the cannons and rear engines are empty and not full pieces and there is no internal engines or any inside wing detail.

The plan is have it finished it in open wing format, build new cannons, new rear engines, new lower wings, internal wing detail and new internal engines.

Attachments

• IMG_0222.JPG
    IMG_0222.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 530
  • IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    905.9 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 480
  • IMG_0233.JPG
    IMG_0233.JPG
    942.2 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_0234.JPG
    IMG_0234.JPG
    930.1 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    932.9 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    939.2 KB · Views: 464
  • x wing.jpg
    x wing.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
Re: X Wing Rear Engines - Big Hasbro - Mod and Cast

My cutting was crud, so I filled it with stuff that is also crud. Cleaned it out and will have to use Bog to fill. Added the other end placement piece so the rear most part of the engine slides on....I don't know what that thing is called. Cowling?? Engine surround??.Exhaust burn thing something??
IMG_0240.JPGIMG_0244.JPGIMG_0243.JPG

Last edited:

Hey Yaris, the moment I read Gumtree I knew you were an Aussie (Newcastle here) and I have 2 of these birds and would love some upgrades for this. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with yours.

And the word you're looking for is "afterburner can"

Hey Yaris, the moment I read Gumtree I knew you were an Aussie (Newcastle here) and I have 2 of these birds and would love some upgrades for this. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with yours.

And the word you're looking for is "afterburner can"

thx junk pilot...i just have to bog and tidy up the gaps and I will silicon and resin cast.

the whole ship i got is a mess, but thx for the encouragement.

so that piece is called the afterburner can?...good to know ;)...thx

Looking forward to your interpretation ! I'm a good ways through mine now but have not had time to put updates on... I too did something similar to you by trying to use the existing parts and pieces. What I found out was that it was extremely frustrating and I ended up scratch building almost everything now except for the fuselage. Probably would have spent the same amount of time had I just scratch built the whole thing, lol. Good luck, sir !

Great job, Yaris.
If postage is too expensive I'm also making my engines available here in the states.

I found that I had to literally cut the entire wing apart, like Pcoz said "probably would have spent the same amount of time had I scratch built the whole thing."
I had to put my X-wing on hold to start a 1:1 scale X-wing.

Looking forward to your interpretation ! I'm a good ways through mine now but have not had time to put updates on... I too did something similar to you by trying to use the existing parts and pieces. What I found out was that it was extremely frustrating and I ended up scratch building almost everything now except for the fuselage. Probably would have spent the same amount of time had I just scratch built the whole thing, lol. Good luck, sir !

thx pcoz! the more I look at it, the more I see why you would want to scratch the whole thing, but it does have some very good parts good enough for me...lol I love the size of the thing, so I s'pose I'll just plod along and see how far I get, seems to be quiet a few builds of this beast, so it will be great to see yours when it's finished!

Great job, Yaris.
If postage is too expensive I'm also making my engines available here in the states.

I found that I had to literally cut the entire wing apart, like Pcoz said "probably would have spent the same amount of time had I scratch built the whole thing."

thx Miranda, your thread was a big inspiration to get started! i will cast and work out a price if there is interest, but I know postage from here is very expensive. I've seen your thread about the 1:1 scale build, which is simply mind blowing!. Good luck can't wait to see it!

Yeah, once I started my Hasbro X-Wing Mod, I had every intention of just slight mods and giving it a quality paint job. Then I started looking around at other X-Wing mods, Miranda & PHArchivist specifically, and decided to do it a little more justice, AKA: scale model accuracy. Both were heading in the right direction, PHArchivist with some great finished painting and Miranda with screen accuracy.

Yeah, once I started my Hasbro X-Wing Mod, I had every intention of just slight mods and giving it a quality paint job. Then I started looking around at other X-Wing mods, Miranda & PHArchivist specifically, and decided to do it a little more justice, AKA: scale model accuracy. Both were heading in the right direction, PHArchivist with some great finished painting and Miranda with screen accuracy.

I can see how easy it would be to want to change much of it, but this beast I got has the wings cut apart and open and that's what I wanted, so I'm gunna try and resist the temptation to do to much more...although....:rolleyes...one thing at a time,,, rear engines

not much of an update, my engines where damaged when I got them, previous owner had used a hot tool to cut them off, some parts of the engines had been melted and cutting them in half was not very accurate, so I've had to fill the gaps. The real problem is the plastic is terrible to work with. It's that soft hdpe crud they use in the food industry, they cast the whole ship from it because it's very cheap.

Anyway, I've filled the gaps and primed them to see what more work has to be done and there is heaps more work:facepalm

The fuselage and some of the rest is usable, but crickey this version of the ship sucks you into thinking adding a few parts and cutting some other parts off will give me something awesome, but it really is a MASSIVE amount of work and like I said the material is rubbish.

Attachments

• x1.png
    x1.png
    632.5 KB · Views: 340
  • x2.png
    x2.png
    628.3 KB · Views: 240
  • x3.png
    x3.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 323
  • x4.png
    x4.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 352
Last edited:

Hey Yaris, I have to somewhat agree with you that it is a HUGE undertaking. The plastic is total crap and most people here couldn't live with the lack of accurate details and not improving them. I too thought I'd buy it, quickly fix a few things, paint it and display it.....Boy I was wrong, lol !

With that said, I'm actually enjoying my rebuild. If anything, it can be used as a guide / reference point for building a new one. Good luck if you decide to keep building it and use the other threads for inspiration!

Pcoz

thanks pcoz, your build and miranda's are so accurate and an inspiration, I just don't think I'd ever finish it if I go down the road you guys are committed to. I've cut the guns apart and will start to match two half's up and cast them probably, I just really want to get this thing done, I know if I can finish it it will look cool by my standards, but will never be super accurate.

anywhoo.....a few more pics and I changed the thread title to cover the whole debacle:lol

Attachments

• IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0365.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 441
  • IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 468
Last edited:
Re: X Wing - Big Hasbro - Some Mods & Casts

Yes sir, it's looking fine ! Just keep going and knock it out !

Trust me, do it the way YOU want to do it. There is no competition or judgement here. I'm sure I can speak for most here when I say we all do this for it's pure enjoyment of creation. Then we get to share our projects with like minded people.... I personally just love seeing all the other threads with everyone's different approaches to construction, materials, painting on any project.

By the time you finish this bird out, it's going to look a 1,000 times better than it did on the shelf !

Pcoz

Re: X Wing - Big Hasbro - Some Mods & Casts

Yes sir, it's looking fine ! Just keep going and knock it out !

Trust me, do it the way YOU want to do it. There is no competition or judgement here. I'm sure I can speak for most here when I say we all do this for it's pure enjoyment of creation. Then we get to share our projects with like minded people.... I personally just love seeing all the other threads with everyone's different approaches to construction, materials, painting on any project.

By the time you finish this bird out, it's going to look a 1,000 times better than it did on the shelf !

Pcoz

thx PC, your build is an awesome inspiration....;)......this weekend I hope to glue the gun pods together, fill the gaps and get them ready to cast...but I still have to build the new gun barrels and the ends........:facepalm

Re: X Wing - Big Hasbro - Open Wings

no much work done, cut some lines into the wings

Attachments

• IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 423
Last edited:

Hmmm! Chewy goodness... eating elephants takes some work, eh?

;^P

Keep it up, looking good.
R/ Robert

Hmmm! Chewy goodness... eating elephants takes some work, eh?

;^P

Keep it up, looking good

R/ Robert

thx for the encouragement....I know it's never going to be accurate, but it's kind of fun;)....eating elephants??...what a random comment, not sure what that means??.....

Last edited:

Great job, Yaris.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO your xwing is so cool, don't give it up .........

thx for the encouragement....I know it's never going to be accurate, but it's kind of fun;)....eating elephants??...what a random comment, not sure what that means??.....
Old joke: "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time..."

It is what I think of when stepping into what seems like a daunting project, such as converting this X-Wing toy into a model...

R/ Robert

okay, I've bought some silicone and I hope to cast my rear engine and the internal engine. No sure if I should try to cast the gun pods separate or wait and finish building the entire gun. im sure this terrible beast monster thing will be the death of me....I don't have the skill knowledge to make this right, but I'll keep going,,

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back