FINISHED Finally! Doctor Who Judoon build

Re: Doctor Who Judoon build

Hey there!

I'm going to place my dressform on its back, build it up where necessary with tape/bags, then melt Wonderflex on top and trim to size. Two pieces (front mold and back mold). Arm pieces will be done in a similar fashion, but probably with EVA and a heatgun, as they have some bulk.

I've got lots of sewing experience so the rest of the costume should pull together very easily. Also located are two potential boots that are a VERY close match to those worn on screen; I'll link them to this thread tonight. They are about $120 though, so I'm trying to find a cheaper pair!

As for the sculpt of the head: Last weekend I was working at a con, so didn't get much movement forward. I think after one more day of work it will be as far as I can go in clay. I plan to do a throwaway mold this weekend and get to work on a plastic version on Sunday.

Quick question, would love anyone to pipe in if they have experience with Foam-it! from Smoothon.

For the sculpt: I'm doing a throwaway mold and casting the new head in plastic for the final details. Then beginning the mold again. I plan to do the final head in Foam-iT!, hollow it out (or perhaps just build a plug which might be easier) and then reinforce the inside with plastics/fiberglass.

The question here is which Foam-It! will work best for this purpose? At the moment I'm leaning towards the 10 Slow simply because it will give me more of a chance to get the foam into the mold. However I am open to other densities/options if it gets the end result right.

Thoughts?

Hey there!

I'm going to place my dressform on its back, build it up where necessary with tape/bags, then melt Wonderflex on top and trim to size. Two pieces (front mold and back mold). Arm pieces will be done in a similar fashion, but probably with EVA and a heatgun, as they have some bulk.

I've got lots of sewing experience so the rest of the costume should pull together very easily. Also located are two potential boots that are a VERY close match to those worn on screen; I'll link them to this thread tonight. They are about $120 though, so I'm trying to find a cheaper pair!

As for the sculpt of the head: Last weekend I was working at a con, so didn't get much movement forward. I think after one more day of work it will be as far as I can go in clay. I plan to do a throwaway mold this weekend and get to work on a plastic version on Sunday.

Wonderflex... EVA... I have yet to know about all these! Research time :$

I'm brainstorming about some simple animatronics. At least to move the eyelids, maybe the mouth up & down a bit. Isn't there a way to make the mouth activate via VOX?

Oh, has anyone seen the costume/toy Judoon helmet? I saw one review where it said the voice changer made you sound like Cookie Monster, haha

I haven't seen the helmet personally but a few reviews I read said it was very cheaply made. The price point on it makes me agree with that.

I definitely don't know enough about animatronics to give that a shot... looking forward to your build thread already!

I haven't seen the helmet personally but a few reviews I read said it was very cheaply made. The price point on it makes me agree with that.

I definitely don't know enough about animatronics to give that a shot... looking forward to your build thread already!

Well, a LOT of research into stuff I'm not yet familiar with is in order. Might take the whole next year, but I want it in time for next year's DragonCon.

Since this is my first sculpt ever I'm sure you too can do it if you sink enough time into the darn things!

I'm overdue for a real update. I have been taking two steps backward, three steps forward for about the last week; every time I sit down I see something else wrong. At the same time, I've been overly anxious to get down to the detail sculpting since I had NO idea I'd be any good at it. So since the forehead is finally at the point I can experiment a little... I did so:

6916531815_9de0617d2f.jpg

See the wrinkles? A lot still to be done but I feel a lot better about my ability to add the final details--and may be okay without needing a throwaway mold after all.

Side view!

6916531703_e13eb6e6c1.jpg

I'll bet you can't even tell what I did (or redid, actually...) but the details are a lot cleaner. A LOT more cleanup still to do.

I also expect to redo the section below his eyes (to be fewer, less obtrusive bags that will be thicker).

The only piece that isn't yet constructed are his teeth.

More photos end of day tomorrow; I should be MUCH further along (potentially ready to lather in Rebound!)

Last edited:

If you're planning on wearing this to a con, you should definitely make the helmet as well. Walk in with it on, let people be amazed by the costume, then take it off once there's a bunch of people taking your picture. Maximum results. :thumbsup

Risu I like the way you think! If I have time I'll definitely add a helmet to the mix.

This weekend I cast the ears in silicone and then into Smoothcast 300. They need to be cleaned up a bit (and if I decide I want to run copies of this mask, I'll recast from the cleaned up version). Here they are attached to the mask.

One thing I quickly discovered, though, is that the Rebound 25 did NOT print the fine wrinkles and detail that I had hoped. Really disappointed by that. So because of that... I scaled back some of the wrinkles on the main sculpt and got it as smooth as possible in preparation for the mold this weekend. I'll include as many of the undercuts as possible, but there's no point spending so much time perfecting the skin texture if the silicone isn't going to take it in the end.

I also spent a LONG time getting the bags under the eyes baggier.

STILL TO DO: Teeth. Adding more texture to the skin folds on the front of the face.

Comments welcome!

6916532051_db640d4d9f.jpg

6916532387_7b49c6887f.jpg

6916532657_5dc01da09c.jpg

Last edited:

As promised: Here's what I think I'm gonna land on for boots.

Demonia Riot - Mens Knee High Lace Up Leather Biker Boots with Buckles

Here's a link to a Youtube video where you can see the boots in action (set to some fan music based on the issue), starting about :30.

Doctor Who: The Judoon Song - YouTube

Anyone find something closer? There's the extra steel piece at the heel, but the rest of it looks just about right.

I know I've seen the screen-used boots at Hot Topic several years ago... I'll have to dig.

That sculpt is looking better than ever and very nice! Yeah, I wonder if the scales detail can be done later?

Agreed on the helmet, Risu... I planned on doing just that with mine.

Did you brush on the rebound 25 or pour it on? It should have worked. I don't know how you'd go about adding the wrinkles on later, but I think it'll look a little funny if it's smooth.

PhiloniusKel: Thanks, I definitely appreciate the lead. Finding the exact pair would be amazing!

Risu: Brushed on, and I went very carefully with the first detail layer (paint brush and all). It SHOULD have printed!

In the end, I think the details I tried to add were just too fine. The deeper wrinkles I tested printed well. I'm definitely going to add more detail than what shows here (won't be completely smooth) but there's no point agonizing over adding dozens of tiny skin pores if they don't duplicate over. Still about 10 hours left on this sculpt before I declare it ready.

I don't know, I've seen rebound pick up amazing detail, like if you drop a hair on the sculpt it would be plainly obvious. I don't have a clue why it wouldn't have worked.

Oh, wow. Yea, that's DEFINITELY the right boots, but a $300 price tag is stiff. I think I will be buying a $40 pair of inaccurate boots (check out the link below as one option) and upgrading later.

Boots | Shoes

EDIT: Actually, as I'm looking through the catalog you provided, there's several options for boots, because many of their styles are similar... I will take a few screen captures/reference the action figure to determine the exact pair of boots. GREAT LEAD nonetheless :)

Last edited:

The Black Shadow Reactors that PhiloniusKel posted are definitely the ones used on screen. I'll confirm this with the toy once I get home. Check the YouTube video (I've it queued up for a glimpse of the heel, at 32 sec you can see the other side as well):

Doctor Who: The Judoon Song - YouTube

Great (and cheaper) alternatives, CelticRuins! I will probably make due with a pair of black riding boots until I can get the actual pair though.

looks amazing thus far. Have you thought about cutting the smooth on 25 so it's a bit thinner. This was you could brush on for finer detail, or even spray on? Perhaps use 3/4 of the curing agent and then spray it on in coats?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back