finding a resin to replicate stone

Wes R

Legendary Member
I haven't had much luck online. I'd like to go with polystone like most statues and such are made of but I haven't been able to find a source for it in liquid form if it is even available to anyone who isn't a large company buyer. I'm wanting to do the various versions of the Marker shard seen in the new Dead Space cartoon and while i can do them in normal resin I thought polystone would be better since it would feel like stone and not a piece of plastic in your hand.

Couldn't you use a plastic resin as a binder, but mix it with powdered stone? I thought that's what polystone was, polyester resin mixed with stone powder to make a pseudo porcelain type material.

I never thought of that. I'll have to look into it. Have to find some red stone dust. i just figured maybe they had it already made so you didn't have to worry about screw ups.

How about the stuff used to color grout? It's like a powder used to tint grout if you want a specific color. I think you can find it at the hardware store.

That could work. I have some left over resin here and i bet i can get a small packet of the stuff and at least try it out.

i think that red would be perfect. I'll see if lowe's has something close to it that way i can get 10% off lol

That's what i was thinking at least for the parts that are broken from the main chunk since the outter half is smooth. Actually the resin may be heavy enough to replicate stone since it's a fist sized piece. You have to love a movie with 4 art styles and none of the shards match even though they're the same item in each storyline.

Kind of like this??

Give me a shout and I will let you know the material and process.

that's neat looking. actually in the game and animation it has no texture other than totally smooth and red. I imagine ti would look like blood red granite but probably not polished as there is never any reflections. I'm not even really sure it is stone in the games.

that's neat looking. actually in the game and animation it has no texture other than totally smooth and red. I imagine ti would look like blood red granite but probably not polished as there is never any reflections. I'm not even really sure it is stone in the games.

OK--- I have tons of options also.

Let me know how I can assist.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back