Film / TV Shooting Locations Then & Now: Satellite Image Overlays

Tommy

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My earlier post of Elstree Studios satellite image overlays received a decent response, so while rather tangential to props, I thought I’d start a thread in case others might like to share similar illustrations of film/TV set location discoveries facilitated by Google Earth’s wonderful “historical imagery” feature.

Here’s my Elstree post:

And here are a few more examples:

The Silence of the Lambs (1991) – Baltimore State Forensic Hospital, housing Hannibal Lecter’s cell. Western Center (a.k.a. Morganza), a notorious state reform school and later an institution for the mentally disabled near Canonsburg, PA, served as the exterior location in late 1989. Constructed in 1929 and operational until 2000, the administration building was demolished in 2011 to make way for Southpointe Business Park. Imagery dates: 1993 / 2020
Silence of the Lambs - Western Center - 1993.JPG

Silence of the Lambs - Western Center - 2020.JPG

Band of Brothers (2001) – Various sets and production facilities. Hatfield Aerodrome, an airfield and aircraft factory originally run by the de Havilland Aircraft Company in central Hertfordshire, served as a hub for the miniseries in 2000 (as well as Saving Private Ryan in 1997). Established in 1930 and operational into the mid-90s, much of the site was repurposed in 2001 as school, business park, and residential expansion. Imagery dates: 2000 / 2018
Band of Brothers - Hatfield Aerodrome - 2000.jpg

Band of Brothers - Hatfield Aerodrome - 2018.jpg

Troy (2004) – City walls, gate, and battlefield. Undeveloped coastal scrubland outside Cabo San Lucas was cleared and a giant set built, accommodating multiple epic battle sequences as well as the climactic Achilles-Hector duel (the Temple of Apollo was also constructed nearby). The site today is almost unrecognizable, replaced by the sprawling golf courses, hotel, condos, and artificial lagoon of Diamante Luxury Resort. Imagery dates: 2003 / 2022
Troy - Cabo San Lucas - 2003.jpg

Troy - Cabo San Lucas - 2022.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back