FemShep N7 Armor, Valkyrie Rifle, + Omniblade (Mass Effect 3)

Re: FemShep n7 Armor: SYNTHESIS (ME3)

Looking great! Actually in the process of cutting my pieces out of the foam now. How soon I get that done, is another story.

I like how Shep's armor looks natural, so I just molded my own chest with plaster.

That's a great idea...until someone requests a copy of that mold... :behave

Thats another possibility. I am actually only playing through the first game right now (I NEVER have time, sigh), so I'm not as intimately familiar with all the gear possibilities of the 2nd and 3rd games - I watched my brother play those

There are a lot of different things you can add. Which is kinda good, as it changes your stats. But ultimately, some have a cooler look compared to the straight up N7 armor. I think if you go to the ME wiki, they have pics of all the different suits. Each piece can be crossed over to the suits. So, that is one way to do it.

That's a great idea...until someone requests a copy of that mold... :behave

Once put into armor shapes, it doesn't look so personal. :)

It looks really good when I put it on; like me but android-sexy. I wish my roomates were around so I could duct tape this to myself, make a theatrical living room entrance, and ask for iphone pictures. For now you'll have to look at it on her. Her lack of ribcage and torpedo-boobs make it hover in a frustrating manner, I will probably switch to working off my dressform.

Awesome progress! I'm fighting an idea on how to texture my undersuit without buying fabric

I was excited about this idea of a secret pouch in the undersuit, and since mine has a center seam it could also go under the ab plate (minus phone as well)... but when I got home, I realized my zipper goes all the way down to the stomach. So no room for invisible pockets :(

The beautiful thing about making an invisible zipper is that you can just cut in to the fabric beside the zipper and add a second zipper in. To explain, if your zipper goes down to just below your hips (like mine does) you can cut a 4" slit a few inches to the left or right of the zipper and add in a simple pocket.

I've played all three of the Mass Effect games and the only ammo increasing gear you can get is the Armax stuff and I wasn't very keen on the look of the armor. Honestly, I like the Serrice Council gear second to the plain jane N7 armor. For comfort, I suppose you could build a pouch or two and hang them off your thigh plate support structure, but to stay true to the game models you'd want to go with a hidden pocket.

I'm so glad you pointed over here! This is a great costume and you're tackling it with such patience and detail. Lots to learn here.

I'm subscribing for sure and looking forward to more!!

This has to be one of the coolest costumes for a girl that's around the universe. And you're doing it, so it makes it even cooler.

Thats another possibility. I am actually only playing through the first game right now (I NEVER have time, sigh), so I'm not as intimately familiar with all the gear possibilities of the 2nd and 3rd games - I watched my brother play those.

I'll warn you guys in advance - I've already scrapped some stuff and I am redoing it. Mainly the bicep pieces and belt details (didn't have the right curvature when I put it on myself).

So, I think the Halloween deadline is a joke.

Here are a few screen captures. I had to switch to white so they would show up. I use blue normally.
http://i.imgur.com/Q4p1q.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0QARI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2Vx6u.jpg
The thigh pouch might be the way to go because the bicep pouches don't look that big. Any kind of military looking pouch would work, I don't think anyone is going to say "That's not how it looks in the game!"

This has to be one of the coolest costumes for a girl that's around the universe. And you're doing it, so it makes it even cooler.

Omg thanks brahhh!

The thigh pouch might be the way to go because the bicep pouches don't look that big. Any kind of military looking pouch would work, I don't think anyone is going to say "That's not how it looks in the game!"

Wow, sweet. Thanks for grabbing those. I see what you mean, the arm pouch would be really small on me. I could put lipsticks in there, and that's about it (<---sooper important provishens).

I'd definitely consider making those if I plan on wearing the costume for long periods of time. Right now I have no events on the horizon since I've mostly ruled out Halloween - I don't want rush this costume. I've never been to NYCC, might hit that up 2013. I went to DragonCon '10 wearing Twilight Princess Zelda and dodged splashing drinks the entire time, and it made me wonder if I'm too high-maintenance for convention costumes.

But Shep is less dainty. A lot of people have told me the N7 armor is horrible to wear, but, if I'm not wearing a gown - that sounds effing fantastic.

Re-did the belt pieces (where they connect in the center).

View attachment 115007

The buckle thing I have now is going to be sliced in half and modified to look more like the reference, possibly attached to the trapezoid-piece behind it. If I remember correctly that part of the suit lights up, so I'm attempting to make it hollow.

Updates are going to be slow, I'm cutting out the leg pieces from 9 and 13oz leather. My fingers get all shaky and useless after about 30 minutes of xacto cutting. I'm averaging about 10-15 minutes per template layer, bleh.

Hooray for another update! I've been looking for more each day, so today was an awesome surprise. Really looking forward to seeing more :cool

I've never been to NYCC, might hit that up 2013. I went to DragonCon '10 wearing Twilight Princess Zelda and dodged splashing drinks the entire time,

So you also side with Batman about cons. :lol
We need to get you a handler like the ones for the characters at Disney.
Last time I was there I had the idea for Disney Tactical Services. All black BDU's, Protech helmet and goggles, but a blue and white Disney name plate and Mickey's ears for shoulder patches. For some reason, that picture would be the funniest thing.
But in NY you will only need to worry about 16oz drinks or less.

Hooray for another update! I've been looking for more each day, so today was an awesome surprise. Really looking forward to seeing more :cool

Thank you! I'm also trying to wrap up two other costumes, so when I loose steam on Shep I'm probably fixing Kirin Armor or Zelda. I have a problem of starting too many things... but since it takes me months or years to finish costume stuff (started Zelda back in 2010), I'd begin Shep likely in 2015 if I imposed a rule that other things had to be done first.

So you also side with Batman about cons. :lol
We need to get you a handler like the ones for the characters at Disney.
Last time I was there I had the idea for Disney Tactical Services. All black BDU's, Protech helmet and goggles, but a blue and white Disney name plate and Mickey's ears for shoulder patches. For some reason, that picture would be the funniest thing.
But in NY you will only need to worry about 16oz drinks or less.

:lol Bahahah I forgot about the drink thing! I wonder if the statistical odds are more in my favor, maybe I wont be splashed?

Definitely agree with Batman. (Love how he talks about other people in costumes as if he isn't wearing one. I, uh, do that).

Yay. Finally someone doing a Shepard in a way other then foam. Always thought foamsheps looked a little chubby. Can't wait to see it finished and I'll keep an eye on it along the way!

Definitely going to keep an eye on this build! I'm starting my own custom build this weekend and doing some research. I've got several ways to approach the chest plate, and I'm glad to see someone using a vacuum former, because that'll be my first attempt. At first, I had no idea how to do molds, but being on here has really helped me a lot!

I'm also making sure my gloves are touchscreen compatible, because I was my friend's handler at SDCC and she was forever yanking off her glove to use her phone. As for where I'm putting my phone, I lucked out. I decided to do the Kestrel leg pieces, and there's a utility belt that goes along with those. I'm going to make a box that can hold my phone and several others that can hold money, credit cards, etc. I really like the idea of the invisible pocket, though. It's something I'd never considered.

Thanks!

Hi, Been a while since I have logged in but I saw this and thought WOW! Just a thought but what if you add your cell phone as the base of the Omni tool? you could leave just enough open to use the touchscreen and then bluetooth the rest.

I love your idea for using leather, by the way. If I may ask, where did you get the leather and how did you attach it to the boot?

Ok everyone, get ready for some purple leggings.

My leather came from a Tandy Leather store. They sell online/have a catalogue if you don't have one near you. I molded the thigh pieces around some paint medium jars, with rubber layered to mimic a muscle-shape. I've been using Aleene's Super Fabric textile adhesive (really flexible) to attach it to things, but right now most of my leather is temporarily hot glued until I get stuff the way I want because that glue will not allow you to reposition anything.

I'm having some fitting issues. It's important to me that I can move freely in this costume, even though the materials I've chosen are more rigid than foam. Basically when I made my templates I could move around and nothing seemed to crash together, but now it has become obvious that everything will need to be up to .5" smaller.

View attachment 116181

When I compare my leg in an extended position to the reference, most of the negative space (when I say that I'm talking about all areas between the plates, where the undersuit is exposed) remains somewhat close to the proportions of hers, even though my leg is significantly shorter. I already observed that I needed more knee exposed.

Now, while considering that the pieces are just duct taped to myself and not totally secure, this is still a pretty big problem. When I wore the boots with my bare leg, I was aware that they touched the back of my knee. With the unforgiving thigh armor there - this is intolerably annoying. So the very first thing I had to do was say goodbye to the top inch of my precious boot before I had any second thoughts.

I can bend my leg now, but I still can't crouch like a ninja and I wont be satisfied until I can.

For the rest of this week I will be carefully slicing leather a few millimeters at a time until I get something I can work with, and then transferring those new proportions to the other leg.

Last edited:

I can bend my leg now, but I still can't crouch like a ninja and I wont be satisfied until I can.

That's my favorite quote from any costume thread, ever! :lol

You could probably get away with keeping the boot the way it is, then make a half round cut out on the back of the thigh piece so when you bend your knee the curve on the boot would fit into the cut out on the thigh.

I think game designers don't think of realism because most armor wouldn't work in real life. Like Fallout BoS power armor, ME armor, Clonetrooper armor, etc. They cheat and have the models break into corresponding areas to move.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back