Fathom Events

Ron

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Rather than create a thread for each upcoming movie they'll be showing, I figured I'd just post each one here as they're announced. They show more than just classic films but I think we'll just keep it focused on that for now.

Someone clue me in: I've heard that all Fathom events are streamed, even motion pictures. I get doing that for a lot of applications, but if I'm seeing a MOVIE in a theater, I want there to be a local "print" on a hard drive or whatever, at the same bitrate/resolution/whatever that their regular showings are. A stream is NOT going to be that.

Is this so?

Probably just a side effect of the fact they do a bunch of live events streamed. If they already have to set up an infrastructure to fulfill that side of the business at the theaters, then there's no reason not to use the same infrastructure for the recorded Media. Why mail crud out or require a theater to have a SECOND type of infrastructure to support them for recorded shows?

If they're already accomplishing the same video and sound quality through streaming, they're just going to do that.

Someone clue me in: I've heard that all Fathom events are streamed, even motion pictures. I get doing that for a lot of applications, but if I'm seeing a MOVIE in a theater, I want there to be a local "print" on a hard drive or whatever, at the same bitrate/resolution/whatever that their regular showings are. A stream is NOT going to be that.

Is this so?
You are correct. It's only ever going to look as good as the bitrate will allow. I've seen some quality showings though. The 4k release of Lawrence of Arabia looked really good despite having to be streamed. Ideally, it would be great if they had prints but yes, as was mentioned, it's more viable to simply stream it.

You're basically going for the "big screen" experience.

Recently added...

Just a reminder:

The Thing 40th anniversary tonight

G.I. Joe: The Movie 35th anniversary tomorrow

Just a reminder:

The Thing 40th anniversary tonight

G.I. Joe: The Movie 35th anniversary tomorrow
Thanks again! just got back from The Thing.
Second time on the big screen for me so it’s always good to see. I was a bit young in 82 to see its theatrical run.

The only downside is Fathom didn’t broadcast it in 2.35:1 anamorphic and the picture and sound quality were off a bit.

Happened to hang after a while talking with my boys and there was a portion of the making of documentary : Terror Takes Shape after the credits. Rob Bottin telling set stories on the big screen was a hoot.

Screw you E.T. …. Lol
44B58EAC-79D9-42A8-B372-AF5B8DC71058.jpeg

Dang that's too bad it wasn't 2.35:1. Makes me feel better though as I ended up missing tonight's showing. Believe it or not it was nearly sold out! I got to the theater (I like buying them in person for the stub) and saw a bunch of people. I go to the kiosk and see that most of the seats are taken. I find an usher and ask "Is everybody here for the Thing?" She says yes. Younger crowd too. I said "Thank you and have a goodnight!" Lolol. I just can't do crowds anymore, especially younger ones. I checked online this morning and it was fairly empty. It's okay though, I've seen it in the theater before.

They said they were going to show it in 2.35:1 after they got a ton of complaints. I guess they lied. It isn't like I'd have gone anyhow, there aren't any theaters showing it in a 60 mile radius anyhow.

They said they were going to show it in 2.35:1 after they got a ton of complaints. I guess they lied. It isn't like I'd have gone anyhow, there aren't any theaters showing it in a 60 mile radius anyhow.
I saw those complaints and that they were going to fix them. Maybe my theater just played the Sunday recording ? Not sure but it was still cool to have a theater experience on this one, even with the issues.

That's just the kind of thing I was concerned about :(
I saw those complaints and that they were going to fix them. Maybe my theater just played the Sunday recording ? Not sure but it was still cool to have a theater experience on this one, even with the issues.
They must have gotten a lot of negative feedback because they've scheduled a new showing in the proper aspect ratio. Good on them.

I’m glad it happened, because otherwise I would have missed the showing! Glad to see it got rescheduled, I just bought tickets for the 6th. The Thing is a fantastic movie.

I don’t see it in my area on July 6th.
Not sure I would give my money again directly after that. Glad i saw it in a theater though with my boys again.

We might just watch the 4K disk in surround on the evening of the 6th….

Thanks again for then heads up!

Watched The Thing last night. Theater was practically empty except for maybe 10 of us. It was indeed presented in its original aspect ratio. Funny, it's like the riff raff got their "event" movie two weeks before while those of us who try to focus on what we're watching got the better presentation last night. Not sure if there was any remastering done for the 40th anniversary but the movie looked good. Sounded good too.

I have to mention I also caught The Fifth Element last week. What a great movie. While I've always enjoyed it, I don't think I've given it the appreciation it deserves. It's one of those films that just works in every aspect. Acting, character, dialogue, plot, direction, music, set and costume design. I think being in this time where everything is a reboot or adaptation or continuation of Star Trek, Marvel, Star Wars, etc., it's so refreshing to revisit an older movie that took such an original approach. Yeah yeah, the cityscape has a Blade Runner vibe. I think that's more a testament to how well BR established the look of a future high-rise city. Even then though, FE gives its own flavor with things like Thai's flying boat Chinese food stand. Such a great little piece of world-building. Then looking at all the costumes and props, they really put in a lot of effort into it.

Interesting trivia: The "Divine Language" that Leeloo speaks was created by Luc Besson for the film. It contains about 400 words.

Last edited:
Wathched The Thing last night. Theater was practically empty except for maybe 10 of us. It was indeed presented in its original aspect ratio. Funny, it's like the riff raff got their "event" movie two weeks before while those of us who try to focus on what we're watching got the better presentation last night. Not sure if there was any remastering done for the 40th anniversary but the movie looked good. Sounded good too.

I have to mention I also caught The Fifth Element last week. What a great movie. While I've always enjoyed it, I don't think I've given it the appreciation it deserves. It's one of those films that just works on every level. Acting, character, dialogue, plot, direction, music, set and costume design. I think living in a time where everything is a reboot or adaptation or continuation of Star Trek, Marvel, Star Wars, etc., it's so refreshing to revisit an older movie that took such an original approach. Yeah yeah, the cityscape has a Blade Runner vibe. I think that's more a testament to how well BR established the look of a future high-rise city. Even then though, FE gives its own flavor with things like Thai's flying boat Chinese food stand. Such a great little piece of world-building. Then looking at all the costumes and props, they really put in a lot of effort into it.

Interesting trivia: The "Divine Language" that Leeloo speaks was created by Luc Besson for the film. It contains about 400 words.
Bruce Willis Movie GIF

Ron who you calling riff raff????
Lol awesome to hear you saw it with only a few people in the right aspect ratio!
It wasn’t showing yesterday within 2 hours of here … boo.

Alright, I've been wanting this one to be shown for the longest time...

They were actually planning to screen this in 2020 but Wuhan beer had to ruin it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back