Farnsworth Discussion

What size was the screen? Is it a 3.5" or a 4.3"? I'm assuming you're having to use two pairs of transmitter/receivers units.

Last edited:
It's hard to say goodbye to my Farnsworth....but Christmas is coming, and Daddy needs funds, so it's got to be listed. Maybe I'll built a MkII sometime

As far as I read, the font for the numbers for the middle dial was Futura. Is this correct? The "5" on the screen caps I've seen doesn't seem to match any Futura.

The font I used for the centre dial numbers was AvantGarde Md BT - can't remember where I got it though. It might be available free from 'DaFont' or similar web-based free font sites.

farns-neg..jpg

Here's a jpeg of the artwork I produced to etch the brass face-plate. I put a dot screen behind the numbers and as a fill in the Farnsworth logo to make them stand out. I had to redraw it from scratch (in CorelDraw) because my fly tin/case had slightly different dimensions to the original wheatley ones. Obviously, I had to produce this artwork in negative and reversed to print on ink-jet film to UV expose the etch resist coating.

That's great! Any chance you can send me the file in ".AI"? I did one for the Wheatley box in Illustrator, but I think your "Farnsworth" logo is a bit better than mine.

Just finished re-drawing from scratch (using photos & screen-caps) life size vector artwork of 'Farnsworth's Farnsworth' ready to make photo negatives for photo etching plate inserts.

farns-farns.jpg Thoughts or suggestions? (before I go too much further and waste brass!)

My progress on the 'Farnsworth's Farnsworth' has been considerable, but has temporarily stalled for want of a suitable tft lcd screen, because I can't use the configuration I had in the previous 'standard issue' model that I crafted. I've been posting my progress on Tumblr, so you can search the hash-tags 'Warehouse 13', 'Farnsworth', 'show prop', 'working replica' and 'Claudia Donovan' on there if you're interested. But here's a few pics to whet your appetite:

DSCN0820.JPGDSCN0801(a).JPGDSCN0813.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0786.JPG
    DSCN0786.JPG
    479.2 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Wow, glad this thread is still going :)

Well, fans can't stop being fans just because the show gets canned. I hope it goes like the Star Trek and Dr.Who revamps did, and in years to come we'll get 'WH13 - The Next Generation' (or WH13 - The Weirdness Returns), then perhaps a prequel series set around Warehouse 12 and H.G.'s exploits.

Hey wait, if 'Sciffy' do use that last idea, I want some royalties!

I've just posted my latest report on Tumblr, but to share with you guys here, the supply of tubular rivets finally turned up from China. With the aid of the vintage tool I found by accident on Ebay (and picked up for a bargain price), I had the job done in under 10 minutes. They all went in as sweet as a nut, and the crimping pliers made a neater job than setting them by hand with a punch and anvil. (I foresee many riveting projects in my future - just for the sheer joy of using these pliers!). Now, do I paint them black, to stick strictly to the show prop, or do I leave them bare, to enhance the ‘brass on black’ theme?

DSCN0837.JPG

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back