Facehugger help????

Queen. Sweet crap this thing is horrific.

This is the actual prop.

a3qfacehug06cy7.jpg

a3qfacehug07mv0.jpg

a3qfacehug09ps3.jpg

a3qfacehug08ug6.jpg

a3qfacehug17ra9.jpg

Oh yeah, like anybody would PICK IT UP. :lol

a3qfacehugmr5.jpg

Last edited:
Rob is your kit as large (estimated) as the original?

Man the facehugger is about the most real and nasty fictional beast I think I've seen.

Last edited:
That queen alien facehugger was sculpted by a good friend of mine, and there he is in that photo with his mighty mullet. Gary Pollard is his name, he's a very talented sculpter and a very nice bloke

Pete

Id recommend using a descent flesh tone like Badger FF Pale Flesh for the overall body using a dark brown or burnt umber (If you can find it in acrylyc) and airbrush or wash all the rescess lines of the tail and main body, Then use a pink color to paint the underside and a darker pink washed over it and then a light flesh wash over that. And some brown\burnt umber on the legs primarly on the joints.

Necropost. Just pointing it out, since the project was a couple of years back, and Taz is probably busy healing up right now...

hi guys,
it has been a few years but i just joined and found this posting.

first of all: my english is not the best, I'm sorry in advance for my mistakes.

as a birthday present for my boyfriend I made a facehugger attached to a wooden panel, so you can hang it on the wall.
the result looks.. ok. I've never worked with this material or with any sculpture material at all, actually I've never made a sculpture so this was my first try. It's not very detailed, but you can recognize it as a facehugger and I've worked at for a very long time, so my boyfriend has to appreciate it, no matter what ;)
but as it comes to the coloring I kinda failed. I don't know how to paint it - the pictures I found on the internet all look different.
maybe you can comment on my work and give me a few tipps or just write what you think about it?
That would be great :)

lces2q7u_jpg.htm

gdsiyvn2_jpg.htm

Hi Daraling,

For a first sculpt, it's actually very good.

Though, the paint job is a little one dimensional. What would really bring it to life, is a few wash coats. If you're unfamiliar with a wash coat, it's when you take a dark color, make it very thin (with something that won't affect the base paint), and let it flow into the recesses, thereby creating depth and shadow.

Do you know what kind of paints you used (acrylic / enamel / oil)? That will determine the type of paint you should use for the wash.

First thing I would do, is give the entire sculpture, a clear gloss coat. This will help aid the wash coat, get down to the deep recesses. Then I would do a few wash coats in dark browns and dark tans. Then mist over everything with a clear satin finish. This will help tie everything together, making it look more organic.

Hope that helps.

-Fred

Thanks Fred :)

I used acrylic paints - one in a sandy shade and a nougat tone.
..Let it flow? How do I do that? :D I have no airbrush can I even do this with a paint brush?

I wanted to finish with a clear gloss coat.. you think I should do this before the wash coat?

God, I'm so completely inexperienced in this stuff :D

Ok, since you used an acrylic base, you can use Pledge with Future Shine (used to be Future Floor Wax, by SCJohnson), but you can read everything you need to know about Future, here The Complete Future

The Future is a self leveling acrylic gloss coat, so you can definitely brush paint it on. Even better, put the sculpture in a disposable tin pan, and pour the Future on top. Take the sculpture out of the pan, and let it dry on a sheet of newspaper. You can then pour the future from the pan, back into the bottle. Let the Future cure for 3 or 4 days.

Next, take some dark brown paint (acrylic is fine, as long as the Future is completely cured), thin it with water until it has a consistency of skim milk (a tad more viscous than water). Then, brush it over the entire piece. Wait a few minutes and then dab everything with a paper towel. The paper towel will remove the wash from the high points, but leave it in the recesses.

You may want to do this with a few different color paints, as long as they are darker than the base coat. For something like a facehugger, I'd go with with brown, hull red and definitely no lighter than dunkelgelb (it's a WWII german armor color, sometimes listed as armor sand, but dunkelgelb, is usally darker). The lighter the color, the more random the application should be.

After that has dried (about 2-3 days between colors), give the whole thing another coat of future, then mist with a satin coat (satin clear can be purchased at any decent hardware store, in the paint section).

Remember, you're not really adding color, you're creating shadows. There's an organinc difference in an animal that has spotting or stripes for camoflauge, and an animal that just has different tonal variations in it's skin. Look on google images for facehugger, you'll see some really good examples.

-Fred

Wow. thanks a lot. :eek
I have to admit I have a few difficulties translating everything :$ but except for a few words I understand what you've written. And I really really appreciate your help!
It seems like this future shine thing is not very widespread in Germany. On your page there is listet one german shop where you can purchase it but it has a very fussy layout and I didn't find the product, have to look closer. I hope it's not too expensive, I've already spent lots of money for the modelling clay and the acrylic paints :wacko
To put it in a tin pan won't work, because as I've already written it's attached to a wooden plate, you just can't see it on the pictures, I had to cover it with paper when I painted the hugger.

ah found it. They say it's illegal to sell it in Germany so they only have a remainder of stock (?)
It says you apply it with airbrush but I don't have an airbrush device :(
I'm pretty unsure if I should purchase one bottle (it's about 12€) and try to work with it, as I've never done it before, I don't wand to ruin my sculpture ^^

Future is illegal in Germany? That's new.

We have quite a few german members here, they may have a more in-depth knowledge of the availability of Future, or a similar product. As far as the price, it's only a few dollars, but a bottle lasts months, if not years.

Anyway, you don't need an airbrush to apply Future. I do it with brushes, all the time. Sometimes I just get too lazy to break out the airbrush for a quick job.

-Fred

Last edited:
it's currently made by Pledge here in the US. I wonder what it's marketed as in Germany, it HAS to be available or have an analogue.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back