EVA Foam

I went to Foam Order today. Really great experience. I got 2 40"x80" sheets of 1/4 inch EVA foam. All they have is charcoal grey which is fine. It's smooth on both sides. No texture at all. This is exactly what I've been looking for. Cost me about $50 for the two sheets. Not bad really.

Since I live in SF I didn't get into their shipping procedures. But they just rolled the two sheets up for me when I was here. I imagine that's how they ship it too.

I highly recommend this place.

I found some 1/4" anti fatigue foam from a local Pep Boys. They have them in a big giant roll or tool box size sheets.

I placed an order with foam order, and after a about 4 days of not hearing anything I contacted to find aout when it would ship. The 40" x 80" sheet was on back order, but they could ship a 48" x 72" the next week. I didn't have the time, and I needed a piece 77" long. They canceled the order no problem and were very curtious.
This topic lead me to Sears to pick up the garage mat. It has worked very well but there are a few issues. One side is not smooth, has a diamond plate pattern so that it has traction on the floor. For my build that is fine, I am only have one piece that is exposed on both sides and it is not noticeable. I am a newbie to EVA, and all crafts for that matter, but I assume the EVA foam manufactured for crafts would be much higher quality than this. I bought 2 rolls, and one had some very large defects, easy to avoid them though. But now as I am painting I see a bunch of pin holes.

So I cannot thank you guys enough for this conversation. I have only been costuming for about a year and a half and only a short time ago went from just sewing to attempting armors, etc. So I had been fibergalssing over Pep. While that makes for an extremely durable end, it is super messy and takes forever. So only a couple weeks ago I started looking into foam. I got a bunch of that 2mm stuff and was so horribly disappointed with the results. Also, in attempting to seal it, it bent so easily that the sealing just cracked right up. So I just got a few sheets of the 6mm(1/4") from Michaels, the regular paper sized. I did a quick base of a Magneto helmet and love the rigidity. But the sealing is still a no-dice, so I actually experimented with "sealing" with fiberglass resin, sans clothe. absolutely loved the result. But despite reading up on EVA foams and looking at pictures, it still was not terribly clear to me what I really needed to look for. So in comes this thread and I have SUCH a clearer idea of what I need. I was looking at web-sites(because I want to get large sheets for ease of large pieces), but after shipping costs, prices nearly doubled. It is New Years Day, so nowhere is open. But I am now stoked to hop out to Big Lots and Sears and Play It Again Sports to scope out some fatigue mats and yoga mats.

So thank you guys again.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back