Escape From New York Remake

The story just doesn't make any sense anymore. I don't see how it works now. In the 1980s, New York was a run down, crime ridden city. It had a reputation for an incredibly high crime and murder rate. Not so much these days. I don't see audiences so willing to buy it as they were in 1981.

Yep, the same reason the first trailer for Robocop remake is all I saw. Never saw the film, never will. I am sure the movie might have its own merits, but I am just not interested.

But I am not opposed to all remakes/reboots either. There are ways to make them work by taking familiar elements and putting a unique spin on them. Carpenter's The Thing is a good example of that and so is Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

You were right with Robocop, I gave it a chance, but the guy wasn't even likeable before he got killed, how are you supposed to root for him afterwards?

I've already posted this on Facebook, but I'll go ahead and post it here as well:

My Dad came up with a actor who could play Snake. He suggests Karl Urban, who i think would do the role some justice.

But honestly, I don't know how to feel about it. I mean, I'm sort of relieved Carpenter is involved, but I'm still worried it might suck.

I've already posted this on Facebook, but I'll go ahead and post it here as well:

My Dad came up with a actor who could play Snake. He suggests Karl Urban, who i think would do the role some justice.

But honestly, I don't know how to feel about it. I mean, I'm sort of relieved Carpenter is involved, but I'm still worried it might suck.

I wouldn't want to sully Urbans name any further with this. I think it would hurt his rep more than anything. Let him land a role he really needs like Dredd!

Carpenter is just taking the money and running with it which I wholeheartedly applaud for him.

Just don't be surprised if his "Creative influence" will not be listened to

I'm sort of relieved Carpenter is involved, but I'm still worried it might suck.

For it to make any sense they're going to have to make it a post apocalyptic so that NYC is a mess or have it flooded or something which means very little writing and lots of CGI. Hate to say it but Carpenter being involved isn't really making me feel any better about it, he's not exactly on the top of his game anymore. As for the Robocop remake the only part i liked was when they showed him how little of his body was left as it struck me as the best acting and a very real moment that could happen as tech goes on.

I don't need to read the whole thread to say I'm NOT INTERESTED in any shape or form or way. Even IF they got Carpenter, I personally believe, he lost his mojo - he always ruins a good movie he directed with an over the top too goofy end, that I can't him serious anymore… Gahhhh!!!!!

I lost faith in Carpenter after Escape From LA

Yeah, I'm with you on this. I was more excited about seeing Escape from LA that I was when the Phantom Menace came out. Escape from NY was just...good. Solid characters you cared about and a high suspense level. The very thought of the further exploits of Snake just blew my mind!
Then I saw Escape from LA and I walked out of the theater hiding my head I was so embarassed. What kills me is all the principle creative minds wrote EFLA, sat back, re-read the script and thought it would make a great movie. And Kurt Russell HELPED write it! :facepalm
After that, I considered John Carpenters career over.

I accepted "L.a." for what it was, although I know many hated, it I enjoyed it.

John and Kurt getting away from home and the wives and having a good time and making a film. :lol

I accepted "L.a." for what it was, although I know many hated, it I enjoyed it.

John and Kurt getting away from home and the wives and having a good time and making a film. :lol

Not to mention, Escape from L.A. seems like one of those studio interference examples. As I've said before, I came across an earlier draft of Escape from L.A. online years ago, and it wasn't the rehash of Escape from New York that it ended up being.

Besides, I love both Vampires and Ghosts of Mars, which was made after that, and I think both of those were pretty good for what they were.

'Escape From New York' Remake Story Details REVEALED!

Dear Santa, let this Escape From New York remake remain in development hell for eternity.

no.gif

I love the original. So much as to say it's on my top ten best movies I've ever seen, and brother, I've seen a l LOT of movies!
With that, the very thought that they would remake such a perfect movie is complete blasphemy!

Or is it?

When end they remade Ghostbusters people grabbed their pitchforks and torches and they were ready to riot! As much as I love the original, I'm not stupid. I will certainly give it a chance...and I don't even like the choices they've already made.
I suspect I may even like it (hell, I loved the remake of Ghostbusters and I LOVED the source material!)
I just look at it as a different spin on a film I love so much. It doesn't take away my love from the original. It's okay to love both for different reasons. It's okay to hate the new version (AFTER its release! Make no assumptions until then), and it's even okay to hate the original and LOVE the new version.

Just give it it a chance. Open your mind. Expand your horizizons!

My hope is that I love them both. :thumbsup

'Escape From New York' Remake Story Details REVEALED!

Dear Santa, let this Escape From New York remake remain in development hell for eternity.

I say let it come. Nothing they change about the movie could be anywhere near as bad as making Space Jockeys from Alien human in Prometheus. We get to know Snake's real name? Ok. Van Cleef's character is now a woman? Why not? Doesn't start in New York? That's almost how the original started. New York is not a maximum security prison? You should read what it turned into in One Second After.

If it's bad, we'll have plenty to work with. If it's good, we'll have even more to work with. If it's mediocre, it will be forgotten.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back