Efx has a new $300 Darth Vader (precision cast replica) Helmet

Do you have pics of the brushed version?I think I also want the brushed version.But I cannot order it at my toydealer here.:(

The problem is that if it's suppose to be ANH version, it's suppose to look gritty and not as pristine, which your received helmet appears as such. The display version posted earlier has a significantly more accurate paint scheme and actually looks more how it's suppose to, and looks much more authentic

To say one is "spoiling the fun" is rather incorrect. If people are looking for an affordable ANH helmet to collect or use otherwise, and EFX, known for their "prop replicas" put one out, then why would one not think it would be a relatively faithful representation of the ANH version helmet? If we wanted clean and shiny, they'd better go with ESB or ROTJ even, not ANH. It's not like people are getting these from Rubies after all

Just because one prefers something to be all new and shiny doesn't make it alright to tell others looking for the correct details, i.e., accurate paintjob, in a replica helmet that they're spoiling for anyone, it means that they're expecting a better standard of accuracy that is not shown in the final product VS the displayed one

Faithful representation, sure. Looking for correct details/accuracy at the $300-$325 USD price point? There are going to be compromises made.

If you're looking for a gritty (not pristine) ANH helmet, the price goes up. But also note, there are two versions of this helmet - much the same way EFX had the Legend and Limited Edition of their original (Fiberglass) ANH helmet. Not sure how similar the paint job is between the Legend and the new Special Edition.

Do you have pics of the brushed version?I think I also want the brushed version.But I cannot order it at my toydealer here.:(

I apologize for posting a link to another forum, but can't we all get along. :D

Here are photos Gino posted of the Special Edition version - the Standard Edition photos immediately follow - good comparison. Even though the photo quality is lacking a bit - as they're a bit too dark, the SE paint job looks very well done.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1127224

You need to look at it or I need to take better pictures. This thing IS gritty. The dome has bumpy "gritty" imperfections that I was hoping for. I'll try to take better pictures with a real camera. I just don't think it's as cheap and shizzy as people are saying. I have had enough of cheap "plasticy" junk, trust me. And I'm not going to pay over $200 for junk again...ever.

It's not as smooth and refined and "idealized" as my EFX Stormtrooper helmet, but more of the crunchiness and grit, like the surface of the helmet on an RS Props Stormtrooper helmet. Could I someday seek out a better ANH for more money and made of fiberglass? You bet. Would my wife march up and down the street with my head on a pole? Yes, she would. For the money, I personally think it's absolutely outstanding, and I've been making Vader helmets and costumes since the age of 12 (1978). I've also bought some of the most inaccurate junk one can find, so I've learned what's shiz and what's shin-o-la.

When someone comes into a forum with something they really like and I think it's crud, I don't go out of my way to tell them that, it's not necessary and it spoils the possible camaraderie.

Anyway, STAR WARS!!!!!!

Last edited:
I think it looks like an amazing helmet... Especially for the price. I'm not sure which version I prefer though...

Jason

Converts to over $500 CAD BEFORE considering duty for a plastic, idealized, slightly simplified helmet, just looking at the standard line. Nope.

I've been making Vader helmets and costumes since the age of 12 (1978). I've also bought some of the most inaccurate junk one can find, so I've learned what's shiz and what's shin-o-la.

When someone comes into a forum with something they really like and I think it's crud, I don't go out of my way to tell them that, it's not necessary and it spoils the possible camaraderie.

Anyway, STAR WARS!!!!!!

Can you comment on, and perhaps post some better pics of the flattened area where the tubes meet the mouth? Again, I'm no Vader expert, but that looks...really off to me for something supposedly cast from, and or digitally scanned from, or not, or cast from digital scans of a cast of whatever lineage is being claimed to the original tour molds. This isn't a hundred dollar Rubies where I'd expect that kind of compromise.

FYI. 300 dollars today gets you way more than you got for the price of a Don Post vader helmet in 1977. $73.81 in 1977 is roughly $300 today. Even if the DP was $39,99 back in the day. this is equal value today for an off the shelf vader.... dont knock it. full disclosure. dont have efx. not buying one. just trying to illustrate the value based on cost alone... ( happy w my GH helmets. #13anh / 13rotj)

I did the best I can to match actual ANH screenshots with this helmet, but it's really hard to get the right angles. I hope this helps.I will take much better pictures with the CANON and diffused lighting when I get the time. 2.jpgside.jpglast.jpg

Attachments

• 3333333.jpg
    3333333.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
I got mine today! (a seller on Ebay had 20) It's my first Vader helmet actually. (Also planning on getting the SE when it comes out).

Maybe someone can educate me a little. At first I thought one of (the left one) the silver things (name?) on the sides of the breather had black paint on it by mistake. But now looking at all the photos here I'm thinking it's supposed to be there.

Am I guessing correctly?

Sorry... not a Vader expert.

Can you comment on, and perhaps post some better pics of the flattened area where the tubes meet the mouth? Again, I'm no Vader expert, but that looks...really off to me for something supposedly cast from, and or digitally scanned from, or not, or cast from digital scans of a cast of whatever lineage is being claimed to the original tour molds. This isn't a hundred dollar Rubies where I'd expect that kind of compromise.

This is a cheaper/simplified version of their premium line fiberglass, even with that flat area its still worth the price IMHO, $300 for a nice Vader helmet is not much to pay these days, if you want a more perfect get their legend version which go for over $1500

- - - Updated - - -

Those flat areas were probably made intentional for unmolding process.

Last edited:
I was originally going to order the pristine one, but now I'm rethinking that. I also have an Anovos on order so that one's already gonna be pristine. Maybe I need a dingy Darth in my collection after all.

I got mine today! (a seller on Ebay had 20) It's my first Vader helmet actually. (Also planning on getting the SE when it comes out).

Maybe someone can educate me a little. At first I thought one of (the left one) the silver things (name?) on the sides of the breather had black paint on it by mistake. But now looking at all the photos here I'm thinking it's supposed to be there.

Am I guessing correctly?

Sorry... not a Vader expert.

It's supposed to be this way indeed

Vader ANH 04.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back