E.T. holiday reunion commercial

I know it was a commercial, but that literally made me smile from ear to ear. While I enjoyed E.T. as a kid, I wasn't as attached to it as a lot of my peers were but damn did this reunion hit me in the feels!

Watching Elliot's reaction to seeing his friend after all those long years just made my heart skip a beat. So genuine.

That was really special. I just hope they don't get any ideas and try to make a full fledged sequel. If only other sequels were just well made ads like this film short, I think they'd be much better than full movies.

I can't stop smiling. Honestly. That was perfect! :D

I know it was only a few minutes, but at the end of the commercial, I realized my mind had automatically filled in the timeline and I almost felt like I watched a full length sequel. While I never wanted to see a sequel to the movie, there was a tiny part of me that wanted to see Elliot’s life in the future and ET to reconnect... this was close enough and left me feeling satisfied.

My story is I was in the kitchen and heard some commercial start in the family room with extremely familiar music of John Williams.

"Okay what's ET music playing in a commercial for...."
(As always John Williams music always catches my attention)

I walk in and I'm literally blown away that this is a mini sequel-ish thing with the original Elliott and a VERY well done ET. His son is even wearing an awesome nod to the iconic red hoodie. I just stopped, stared, and smiled at this commercial.

Easily... EASILY the best commercial of the year. Blew me away and is one of my all-time favorite films.

I HATE Xfinity's prices on our bill, but they knew how to make one heck of a commercial. (Okay I'll stay with Xfinity for now....)

Was really fun and cute to watch. Same happened to me, I heard the music, "Oh I hear John Williams!", and looked up from the project I was working on hahaha. I actually rewatched ET later that night and fell in love with it all over again having not seen it in probably 15+ years. Good on you Comcast; very well made. Now if only you weren't Comcast..

Elliot has done well for himself. That's a million dollar house.

Huh.... E.T. Is like IT... All the losers became successful and wealthy because of them meeting Pennywise as children.

I see Psab’s sequel already... and it’s a team up of two aliens who couldn’t be less alike, but both wanna make kids into millionaire adults. Or sometimes kill them.

“I.T.”

Well, that explains why I'm paying $45 a month for 25 mbps...

Why would I expect a modern infrastructure investment from my local ISP monopoly to bring my country into the 21st century with the rest of the civilized world when there's emotionally manipulative nostalgia to be made for the same price?
Priorities...

Unbeknownst to all who use Xfinity, ET had his hand in your pocket and he was not looking for Reeses Pieces! ;)

Well, that explains why I'm paying $45 a month for 25 mbps...

Why would I expect a modern infrastructure investment from my local ISP monopoly to bring my country into the 21st century with the rest of the civilized world when there's emotionally manipulative nostalgia to be made for the same price?
Priorities...

I'll admit, this makes me wish this had been a feature film instead of a commercial. But it's better than nothing. I like they kept ET as a practical effect instead of a CG character (it would have been too easy to do that).

I never felt the original movie ever needed a sequel, but for what this was I think they really captured a small wish I never knew I even had. Which is really the promise that sequels have to live up to if you think about it. Just a chance to revisit characters that you love in a meaningful way and not for the sake of making easy money.

Again I was never a die hard fan of the original movie, but it was a part of my childhood and seeing that added depth of having Elliot with his friend and them being able to reconnect after all those years really spoke to me. Perhaps because I've had similar experiences in my own life that I could relate to it.

Part of me finds it sad that it was a commercial trying to sell us something, but it reminds me that there are rare times when advertisement can actually have a bit of heart if handled by the right people.

As far as a full fledged sequel goes, I think like sweets can be great in small doses this hit just the right spot without over staying it's welcome. Too often sequels get made with the best intentions, only to risk forcing the story in the natural direction the narrative pushes them in order to continue. Often it's to the detriment of the original idea.

For me at least, some stories don't need sequels and should be cherished for the place they hold in the hearts of the fans. This was a rare instance, for me anyway, where it surprised me with a reunion I never knew I wanted and boy did I really enjoy it!

* Here I am like Harry and Lloyd crying over an insurance commercial while wiping my nose with hundred dollar bills. *

Last edited:
That was absolutely GREAT! I agree, it hit all the high points for a short I would have ever dreamed to want and was damn near perfect. Made a 44 y/o man a bit misty.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back