Duplicating a kit by molding and casting?

Studio scale kits use parts of other kits ans the makers of the originals often kit bash for speed and ease but do they normally cast copies of the entire donnor kit ?

hmm, i though he was wanting to recast PARTS not the whole kit, but after looking at the original post, maybe he was thinking of casting the WHOLE kit...which is wrong !

Casting a couple of parts is one thing but the entire kit is a whole new thing. I can see if you need 10 of one part for project as it makes more sense then buying 10 kits.

Is it wrong even if he's not going to make any money from it? I mean yeah it's wrong if he's gonna sell them on, but just to make a duplicate of something you own for your own use. I don't really see a problem.

hmm, i though he was wanting to recast PARTS not the whole kit, but after looking at the original post, maybe he was thinking of casting the WHOLE kit...which is wrong !

Yeah that's what I was kinda getting at. I feel bad for turning this thread into a recasting discussion but I kinda felt like the OP (wanted) needed this input. I'm sure he understands the distinction. Good luck with what ever project it is Checksum:thumbsup

Is it wrong even if he's not going to make any money from it? I mean yeah it's wrong if he's gonna sell them on, but just to make a duplicate of something you own for your own use. I don't really see a problem.

I agree. It is wrong if you turn around and sell someone else's work through a recast method for the means of making a profit. As for casting a kit, to get a desired effect for your own personal use, and the key words are "Personal Use", then I say go for it.

The amount of RTV and resin needed to duplicate all the parts of a 1/350 kit would put it into the stupid expensive range anyway, so it isn't worth it.

The 1/1000 NX-01 kit is also coming back out and it will have the Doug Drexler designed secondary hull that was proposed for a minor refit of the ship if Enterprise got to a fifth season. The core NX-01 parts should still be in there though for somebody who wants to do a model from that kit. As to when the 1/350 reissue is due out? Not sure. But I don't believe there are any parts revisions planned for it (maybe a Columbia deflector dish at most since I believe the kit came out before Columbia appeared and the 1/1000 has that part). Decal revisions is what I would expect at most.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back