Duplicating a kit by molding and casting?

Checksum

Hi,
I am wondering if anyone here has ever tried to duplicate a plastic model kit by creating molds and casting the parts? I am thinking of doing this for a kit that is discontinued and wanted to see if the idea was just plain crazy or something others had done.

yes, it is done all the time. if it is an off the shelf kit there is nothing wrong with doing that. but if your considering recasting a resin kit of some other artists work, your going to get your self banned.
what kit is it ?

Oh I would never resin cast another artist/modelers work. Its the NX-01. I cannot find this kit anywhere. And any site that has a placeholder for it says its discontinued... But I might have a chance to buy one from someone. So I wanted to make a copy of it so I could do more than one version...

yes, it is done all the time. if it is an off the shelf kit there is nothing wrong with doing that.

Sorry to jump all up in ya thread but I find this interesting and a little confusing. Is this the part of the rpf guidelines? Am I right in reading this as recasting a available kit-set model is ok. I find this strange.

I dont really consider Ebay unless its a total last resort. Besides Ebay has them listed for 129.00 - 200.00. Just ridiculous...

recasting off the shelf models/parts has been done for a long time and is fine, you cannot however recast another artist work with out there permission. this is in the rules you accepted when you joined.
this is done with kits that are discontinued and and are rare, such as the aurora sealab model that was used in several ILM models

Yeah I realise the no recasting artist kits. I figure that's a givin. The thing I was trying to ask is if a kit is available or in production casting off it seems a bit suspect. Sorry I don't want to hijack this thread. Nevermind.

JUST a heads up, if you are referring to the 350
NX-01 don't bother... In a few months, Fall I think,
Round 2 is re-issuing the kit..

No more expensive Ebay purchases ! :behave

Soo, if you can hold out jsut wait a few months.. :cool

Wolvster,
Thanks for that heads up. Since I am already asking about this. Is there someplace that has updates on what kits are available and when certain kits are being re-issued?

Yeah I realise the no recasting artist kits. I figure that's a givin. The thing I was trying to ask is if a kit is available or in production casting off it seems a bit suspect. Sorry I don't want to hijack this thread. Nevermind.

not sure the rules on that, but i would agree with you on that point, pluss if its available why recast it :)

I thought about doing with my mercury capsule but then i realized by the time i buy the materials i can just get the kit plus it's not worth the material if you only use the mold once.

recasting off the shelf models/parts has been done for a long time and is fine...
It is? That's news to me. I've heard of modelers occasionally casting an extra part or two for their own use, but recasting entire kits regardless of whether they're mass-produced styrene kits, resin garage kits, in production, no longer in production, new, old, nearly impossible to get, whatever, is most definitely not "fine". You can sugar-coat it however you like, but it's still replicating another artist's work without their permission.

This is, of course, my opinion, but it's shared by the vast majority of modelers I know and/or are in contact with through forums such as this. And, admittedly, there's a lot of "grey area" when the subject is recasting--some people are clearly in favor of it, others are 100% against it in any form, while others believe it's okay to recast "X" but not "Y". If someone has to ask whether or not it's wrong, they already know the answer.

And, uh, in before the lock. :cool

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back