Dummy C-4 bomb - General prop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is an old thread but I felt I had something to contribute to it.

I'm aware that in this post 9/11 world there's a lot of fear of terrorism and attacks against the country, to the point that we're basically afraid of our own shadow. We actively warn each other to not build and/or display something that might be "too scary" in appearance that might bring the feds down upon us.

But there's something important to also remember. A lot of the bombs and detonators and explosives used in movies look very little or nothing like their real world counterparts. No visible timers with audible beeping noises, no conspicuous wires sticking out, no stenciled on warnings about the explosive nature of something. For a long time I wondered why this was, until I read on another site that it's a necessity for the professional prop designers to make such ridiculous looking items so that they don't get in trouble with the government. What they make has to look unrealistic enough that they aren't seen as a possible threat.

And a lot of what we make is based on these ridiculous ideas of what explosives look like.

I'm also not overly concerned because I've seen a large number of airsoft models that look like machine guns and sawed off shotguns and grenades and such, and they look pretty real and are lacking orange muzzles. But so far I haven't heard any chatter on the various forums about members being raided because they showed off their airsoft claymore, or their Tokyo Mauri CAR-15 with 11" barrel and three position selector switch set to full auto.

I'm not saying don't worry, far from it. I'm just pointing out that we might be blowing things out of proportion with our fear here. At least that's my position until I see otherwise.

as a few people have said it only takes one nosy naibour to catch a glimps of you work desk and see a block of something and a circuit board with wires, time, alarm clock sticking out of it and you have a visit from armed police men take this clip of simon pegg telling a story how nick frost almost got taken down by armed poice for having a replica

Simon Pegg Video (story starts a 1:15)

But so far I haven't heard any chatter on the various forums about members being raided because they showed off their airsoft claymore, or their Tokyo Mauri CAR-15 with 11" barrel and three position selector switch set to full auto.

I'm not saying don't worry, far from it. I'm just pointing out that we might be blowing things out of proportion with our fear here. At least that's my position until I see otherwise.

I'll quote again what I replied with previously in this thread!

Well sometimes life is stranger than fiction, I won't discuss much as the case is ongoing but lets just say false accusations coupled with ignorant overzealous police that took the claims of a delusional 'tipster' hook line and sinker and thought they had the next uni-bomber, can be a legal headache even if the item(s) are a bona fide replicas and legal toys...

Never under estimate stupid people and the grief they can cause you, it does happen...

You can deny it happens, you can pretend it doesn't and won't... But, I'm here to tell you flat out you are incorrect and wrong, it does in fact happen! It might be rare and it might never happen to you but it does happen, and when it does it SUCKS! The warnings are not all fear...

See the attached image, and trust me when I say that little piece of paper will cost you more grief, money and aggravation then you can ever imagine... Even when it ends with a nolle prosequi...

In the end the warnings are sincere, please be smart about it as it only takes one stupid, lying, overly concerned, or revengeful person to bring down an avalanche of trouble upon you... I'm not saying don't do it as it certainly is a big part of this hobby, I'm simply stating be SAFE and SMART about it...

w_edited.gif

No, we're assuming a neighbor's going to peek into a window, a burglar's going to get in your house, or the police somehow get wind of what is suspected explosives.

Next thing you know, you'll be laying on the floor at the wrong end of an M4 while an armored robot crawls into your prop room to detonate the suspicious package labelled C4, possibly doing a lot of damage to the rest of your props in the process. :lol

We understand the appeal and we understand that the intent of this thread is harmless, but we no longer live in a world that views such things as harmless, no matter how well intentioned they are. If you want to build a replica of a generic C-4 style explosive device, this really isn't the place to discuss it. It is hard enough allowing things like the remote detonators from The Dark Knight, but this? This is just BEGGING for trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back