Dredd 2012 Judge helmet based on Blaxmyth's pep file

To the guy using "styrene" to build his "mush" helmet....if you are using any reasonable primer....I use Rustoleum Automotive primer...it should not dissolve styrene at all. If you are talking about styrofoam....yeah that would indeed dissolve with most solvent paints. You can seal it with white glue or if you want a harder barrier or hard coating, go with Styro spray 1000. It is a epoxy base coating that dries slowly....about 4 hours,to full cure in 24 hours. It leaves a high gloss surface when dry and is kind of self leveling so it seals and masks some imperfections in surfaces. Costs about $45 US, per quart,shipped from www.industrialpolymers.com....hope that helps.:)

Doing a bit of a bumperoo here... I've now had a chance to finish up a helmet for myself.

To get the Dredd helmet look, I heated the sides of the helmet with a heat gun and curved them in quite a bit more than the base casting, so that it fit snug around my face.

It's a small change, but a big impact on the look!

And I'm back! There were some nagging things that I wasn't happy with, so I finally sucked it up and just made another new one!

New:

Old:

I fixed some symmetry issues, made the helmet tighter to the face, made it shorter (about .25" overall, 1" in the back), the badge/respirator on the forehead is about 0.25" taller now and tapers toward the bottom.

I just finished up the new mold and will be casting one up this weekend!

New to RPF, really inspirational. Have to say stormtrooperguy brilliant thread, you've given me the kick to just 'get on with it!' One comic style street Judge in the making is starting now..........

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back