Dracks Ironman MK VI Build (helmet update)

Re: Dracks Ironman MK VI Foam Build (page1 includes info on foam armour building)

Hello there

I've been thinking about building my own foam costume for awhile now, and after extensive research I think I want to try and follow the steps you provided. I saw where you posted a link to where you buy your foam earlier in the thread, but that's not really an option for me since I live in the USA. I did find this link to the US version of Amazon and it looks identical. Would the posted link below fit what I'm needing for foam? Any help would be appreciated.

Amazon.com: We Sell Mats Interlocking Anti-Fatigue EVA Foam Floor Mat: Sports & Outdoors

BTW, I love your progress, it truely is extremely well done

Re: Dracks Ironman MK VI Foam Build (page1 includes info on foam armour building)

man I have been sooo busy I havent had the chance to make my reactor yet! I got some plaskolite to use for the window of the reactor but havent gotten anything else. Finding it quite hard to find the components in my area

:confused

Holy S**t. I really hope that I run into this IRL one day... just not when I'm wearing mine! :L Great work, can't wait until it's done... have you got any plans for the elbow/thigh/knee gaps?

Hello there

I've been thinking about building my own foam costume for awhile now, and after extensive research I think I want to try and follow the steps you provided. I saw where you posted a link to where you buy your foam earlier in the thread, but that's not really an option for me since I live in the USA. I did find this link to the US version of Amazon and it looks identical. Would the posted link below fit what I'm needing for foam? Any help would be appreciated.

Amazon.com: We Sell Mats Interlocking Anti-Fatigue EVA Foam Floor Mat: Sports & Outdoors

BTW, I love your progress, it truely is extremely well done

First off thank you for your kind words, it's the comments (and having an awesome fancy dress costume) that keep me driving forward.
Second they are exactly the right foam mats in the the link. How ever I see a lot of the guys in the US using 8mm thick rolls of the same foam. If you ask Stealth here on RPF he may point you the right direction for those. Most don't like the foam as thick as I use but I feel it has that extra strength.

Look forward to what you come up with :)

man I have been sooo busy I havent had the chance to make my reactor yet! I got some plaskolite to use for the window of the reactor but havent gotten anything else. Finding it quite hard to find the components in my area

:confused

Yeah found it tricky too but if you look hard enough it's all on eBay, if that's an option for you of course.

Holy S**t. I really hope that I run into this IRL one day... just not when I'm wearing mine! :L Great work, can't wait until it's done... have you got any plans for the elbow/thigh/knee gaps?

Well if you are going to the MCM expo in London next year I will be there as Ironman, Masterchief and what ever 3rd suit I have come up with by then :)
In fact I have ideas for the new suit after this one which is going to be a custom build based on this but bigger :)
b22a5f94494e9d171b5a2de0a02050c4.jpg

As for the gaps I have a few ideas but will be testing them when I get to that stage.

Thank you for watching guys and keep on building,
Tom.

Last edited:

it would be an option but at this point I need to have it put together by Saturday at the latest for my local costume contests.. :/

it would be an option but at this point I need to have it put together by Saturday at the latest for my local costume contests.. :/

Ah crap! Well the only thing I can think of is try an automotive store cause the vinyl tints I used are headlight tints (I think). I know what you mean about timing cause I am racing through an assault rifle build to go with my master chief suit for Saturday so we have the same dead line!

You could just have it light up white for now then add the vinyl later I guess.

Hey Drack, what did you use for the bezel to hide the seam on the ouside?

It was the arc reactor bezel I was talking about but just re-read the thread and saw you used 3mm expanded PVC :)

Ah I thought thats what you meant but wasn't sure. Glad it's sorted though :)

I rescaled every part as its very rare pep is to the individual's size.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Thought I would pop up a pic of all the bits together.

IMG_1493.jpg

That is soooooo sweat I love it.

Thank you man. I can't wait till its finished now but my glue gun death and helmet casting is slowing me down.

Thank you for watching,
Tom.

Last edited:

omg dude thats amazing, that looks perfect, cant wait to see it finished :p

one question, how good do you think the buttons will hold with actual movement? Velcro many times de-attached

Mini update.

Got my silicone on this week so here it is before mother moulding.

IMG_1535.png

great job, looks pretty neat
Cheers man.

omg dude thats amazing, that looks perfect, cant wait to see it finished :p

Thank you and hopefully you will get to see that before the new year cause I want to wear it out new years eve.

one question, how good do you think the buttons will hold with actual movement? Velcro many times de-attached

I am assuming you mean the Snap fasteners and they hold fine. I have done a movement test and they all stay closed. To be honest though I haven't used them where movement effects them.

Cool stuff, looking forward to seeing the first cast!

Clean looking i like.

Hi guys I have been lurking about for around a year now and thought that it was time I posted one of my builds here and as the MK VI suit is my latest I should start there. I have been building a Masterchief suit that I have on 405th which some of you may have seen. I started an Ironman MK V custom build too which I will be picking up on after I finish the MK VI so that will be resurrected before the new year hopefully.

My plans for the MK VI suit are to hopefully have a motorised faceplate and film accurate arc reactor. I have read up on the skills needed for the face plate and I doubt I will be able to do this alone so might have to call upon a kind mind to assist me, that was in no way a request as I know peoples time is precious but I will work it all out when the time comes.

Things needed to make foam armour. Click blue text for links.

Pepakura. You need to download both the viewer and designer.

Tutorial: Simple Armor Scaling

Some tutorials I made on techniques I use. I hope to get some more done as not everything is covered in them. There are many others if you look around.

Dracks Foam Technique Tutorial Part 1 - YouTube

Dracks Foam Technique Tutorial Part 2 - YouTube

Nice set of techniques by JFcustom http://www.therpf.com/f24/foam-speed-building-filesntricks-added-im-mk6-148889/

Electronics Tutorial by Xrobots.

List of materials, links are UK based. I am sure you can find all these things in other countries but I thought it would be good to throw this info in the thread as a guide on what you need to make a suit of your own.

1. Foam Mats 10-12mm thick. I got a better deal than this. They seem to have gone up in price, Camping Mats 5-6mm thick & Craft Foam 1-2mm thick

2. Blades. No.11s. You can get the handles here too. Also you can get cheaper blades on ebay but they snap easy and blunt easy. Swann Morton are the best I have found so far so sticking with them. They are the best imo because they don't blunt as fast as the cheaper options. I can't offer an American alternative because I don't know what is best for you guys but if any one reading this knows of a top quality blade producer let me know and I will add to the links.

3. Glue gun I use & glue sticks.

4. Plastidip. Used for the first undercoat to seal the foam and give it that smooth base ready for painting.

5. Primer car spray and then the spray/paint you want for your finished paint scheme. Finally some lacquer to protect your piece and make it nice and shiny.

6. Webbing & Buckles for strapping.

7. There are many more materials I use/used but as you build your armour you will work out the bits needed for those extra touchs.

8. Moulding Optional but thought an armour moulding link might help people out wanting to have a go.

So with out further a due here is my progress so far.

The armour pieces are attached using snap fasters. I made some 3mm thick PVC platforms to mount them on because when you try to push the snaps together with out them the foam is too soft to allow for enough pressure.

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

A quick lick of paint.

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

I do have 2 biceps and a forearm finished too. Once I have the second forearm made and the hinges installed I will post up an update for you all. I am not going to post step by step as there are enough Ironman builds out there but if I use an idea that may benefit people I will post more detailed pics so people can learn from them.

Good to finally be part of this community as there is some amazing work out there and look forward to seeing what all you guys are progressing on.

Tom.

Looks good, really interested to see how the cast comes out of your mould. My foam helmet had a lot of leaks in it and other bits that came out in the mould and cast, but your looks a lot cleaner.

The accents on the back and the chest, the gold and silver, did you paint then freehand or did yoy tape off around and spray paint? Every time i tape the paint peels right off

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back