Dracks Ironman MK VI Build (helmet update)

Re: Dracks Ironman MK VI Foam Build (page1 includes info on foam armour building)

Whoa! The suit is looking great Drack, and the mark VI reacter is really nice!. Just about to get a tin of plastidip and was wondering what size would you think would be needed for an entire suit? I haven't got a clue how much to get? Thanks. :)

Re: Dracks Ironman MK VI Foam Build (page1 includes info on foam armour building)

Tough to say. I bought a 2.5 ltr tin and made a Masterchief suit, 2 metre tall gravety hammer, top half of an Ironman MK V suit and most of my MK VI suit and think I might be able do a warmachine too. So I guess a 750ml should be enough.

ok great info here. So the original triangular box looks like regular pep with maybe some reinforcement/popsicle sticks right? As for sanding away the perspex would adding the additional LED's your planning to add intensify the light enough to not have to sand the perspex maybe? I've never used perspex or plexi before since this is my first build so I will have to see what I have available in my area for this. Hopefully a hobby shop or home improvement store should have these. And the more pics the merrier!! thanks Tom!

Ant

Ok so got more pics to hopefully show how and why I did it the way I did.

First off the box showing the different plastics.

IMG_1475.jpg

Here are the bits of vinyl I cut to fit on the inside.

IMG_1477.jpg

The grove I dremeled out to let more light through than the rest of the reactor. Yes I could have made a complete triangle of LEDs but they wouldn't have illuminated the true shape I wanted.

IMG_1478.jpg

Finaly here is the reactor with out the LEDs to show you what I meant about having the triangle for the new element to let more light through so it glows more.

IMG_1479.jpg

Hope that gives a better idea of how I did it :)

Tom.

Thanks for all the info. Should have time this weekend to try and build it!!

Hey man how u get ur lines so neat?
very nice by the way!

Thanks for all the info. Should have time this weekend to try and build it!!

No worries man glad to help out.

Hey man how u get ur lines so neat?
very nice by the way!

I have tutorials I made explaining some of the techniques I use on page one.
And thank you man I am starting to get quite proud of this build now due to how well its coming together. Its a much more chalenging build as i have alot of failed scalings. When I made my master chief suit every piece fitted perfect but it is alot more forgiving than this build. When I am done I will have to post a pic of the bits gone wrong :p

Cheers for watching guys and if anyone has questions feel free to ask away.
Tom.

I will post up some pics in a sec for you :)

So first off the top of the shoulder. I made a 3mm PVC addition to the hole I cut for the strap to go through so there was less strain on the foam.

IMG_1484.jpg

Then you feed the strap through thus so.

IMG_1485.jpg

Shots from underneath.

IMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

Snap shut and that's the top centre of the pad attached.

IMG_1487.jpg

I have enough slack so when I lift my arm the pad rises. Now to combat the pad going all over the place I added elastic to the front and back so I can lift my arms and when I lower them they spring back into place. Here is a pic of the elastic fasteners underneith. I will be using fabric paint to add a bit of detailing to the elastic as some shows when I lift my arms.

IMG_1488.jpg

Hope that helps and makes sense,
Tom.

To show the webbing and elastic straps in the shoulder here is a better shot. The 2 red elastic straps on the joints of the pads attach in the back of the armour and on the neck colar to make sure it holds to the right alignment.

IMG_1489.jpg

Last edited:

okay, like this looks AMAZING!!! It doesn't even look like foam at all. I think the arc reactor casing that is in the picture with the helmet and shoulder pads... so much detail that I haven't seen in foam to much.

Wow love the tutorials wish I would have found them before starting my build. Loads of very useful info. My next build should be a whole new level of awsome.
Thank you for taking the time to make them.
Your build is phenomenal so clean and sweat looking. Can't wait to see it finished.

-------------------------------------------------
My attempt at Ironman MKIVhttp://www.therpf.com/f24/ironman-mk-4-first-attempt-foam-build-158310/

okay, like this looks AMAZING!!! It doesn't even look like foam at all. I think the arc reactor casing that is in the picture with the helmet and shoulder pads... so much detail that I haven't seen in foam to much.

Thank you man. I tried to perfect my foam techniques for that very reason. I first started the MK VI build a year ago in pep and wasn't so good at the bondo stage. Although now after reading thousands of threads I think my products weren't right. Ah well never mind, saved me a bunch of cash doing foam :)

Wow love the tutorials wish I would have found them before starting my build. Loads of very useful info. My next build should be a whole new level of awsome.
Thank you for taking the time to make them.
Your build is phenomenal so clean and sweat looking. Can't wait to see it finished.

No worries man. I wish I could get more done to be honest. I really wanted to film a comprehensive video diary of a helmet build but time is precious now I have a little one and my only free time is at night when the house is asleep.
Also love your build man just checked it out. I am going to use your inner arm articulation idea for my suit. It was one of the ways I had in my head about how it could work but now I have seen yours it's made up my mind :)

Thank you for checking the thread and keep on building guys.
Tom.

Did you do any scaling or did you use the default files

Did you do any scaling or did you use the default files

I rescaled every part as its very rare pep is to the individual's size.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Thought I would pop up a pic of all the bits together.

IMG_1493.jpg

Drack, fantastic work. The accuracy is fantastic. I'll be keeping an eye out on this build

Thank you man. I am taking a week off from this build though cause I want to make my MA5C assault rifle to go with my Masterchief suit for Halloween. Up side is my silicon will have arrived next week so the helmet casting begins then :)

Tom.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back