Dracks Ironman MK VI Build (helmet update)

Re: Dracks Ironman MK VI Build. (page1 includes info on foam armour building)

Did you find a good way to attach the joints so they wouldn't tear?

Yeah and I wish I had done some kind of guide on how I did it so I will just have to try to explain it here. I basically carved out 3mm trenches and glued in some 3mm PVC to reinforce the joints. Then drilled though for some bolts to go through. I will do some photos when I get a chance but working on my Halo suit at the moment so it can finally be done. If I have time tomorrow I will try to get some pics up.

Your helmet is looking sick brother! I may have to get in on that run :love

Yeah and I wish I had done some kind of guide on how I did it so I will just have to try to explain it here. I basically carved out 3mm trenches and glued in some 3mm PVC to reinforce the joints. Then drilled though for some bolts to go through. I will do some photos when I get a chance but working on my Halo suit at the moment so it can finally be done. If I have time tomorrow I will try to get some pics up.

I would also be very interested in this as well Drack. I'm working on my duct tape mannequin currently in preparation for my first Iron Man foam costume. Hopefully just over 6 months will be long enough to create an impressive costume for Halloween.

I bought some metal washers for mine. I intend to place them as follows from the outside: Outside Piece: Washer, foam piece, washer, plastic disc (for less friction between the washers)
Inside piece: Washer, foam piece, washer.

The washers will be glued to the piece that needs to move. They will be glued on the inside and outside of the piece to hopefully reduce tearing. This will also create a nice perfect circle for cosmetic purposes. The two pieces will be joined together with a chicago screw (also called a post screw) so the pieces can turn smoothly.

Do you think that will work?

One thing that I did to facilitate the movement of the Chicago screw joints is to buy some of the really thin (1-2mm) cutting mats and then cut out circles from them. The mats have a really slick side and a rougher side. I put two of the circles together, slick sides facing each other, to use as a friction-less washer for the joints. So, to explain similar to Daborg, my order is (from outside):Chicago Screw body, washer, foam piece, cutting mat circle (slick side inward), cutting mat circle (slick side towards other circle), foam piece, washer, Chicago screw screw.

Here's basically what I used from Walmart (not sure if this is the exact brand)

Color Flexible Cutting Mat: Kitchen & Dining : Walmart.com

Sounds good bugman, looks like we're on the same page! I'm making my body-mannequin tonight so I can start placing my armor pieces where they are supposed to go instead of placing them in my closet!

So guys I have finally got the helmet where I want it. There are a few little bits that aren't perfect but I will go mad if I keep trying to fix them :)

So the journey began here with the foam build.

IMG_1441.jpg

After moulding, casting and filler here it is.

_DSC6114_zps231e02a1.jpg

_DSC6110_zps8577544c.jpg

_DSC6111_zps687d049f.jpg

Yes one eye wall is thicker than the other but I have a plan to change that with out having to do more sanding. I am waiting on some clay for a sculpt project I have in mind which I will be using to fill in the eyes and face plate opening so I can get this thing moulded at long last. I can't wait to get the first cast done and then hit it with its true colours. Couldn't resist photoshopping some colour on it :)

_DSC6115_zps224e91b7.jpg

There is some bad news as to my suit build though. I will no longer be continuing with the foam build. I have fallen in love with what Shelfside has been doing with his plastic covered foam suit that I have to have one too :p My plastizote is in the post and I already have enough plastic to do the whole suit so stay posted for updates on that.

Cheers bro. I think you will definatly like what I am going to be sculpting. Well I have a load of stuff I want to try but the first helmet will be right up your street :)

There is some bad news as to my suit build though. I will no longer be continuing with the foam build. I have fallen in love with what Shelfside has been doing with his plastic covered foam suit that I have to have one too :p My plastizote is in the post and I already have enough plastic to do the whole suit so stay posted for updates on that.

So what's happening with the current build? (which is fantastic by the way) Are you plastic coating around that, or are you selling it/giving it away?
I wish you luck, im sure it will be amazing!! :)

So what's happening with the current build? (which is fantastic by the way) Are you plastic coating around that, or are you selling it/giving it away?
I wish you luck, im sure it will be amazing!! :)

I am not sure yet. I have these options. Sell it, auction it for charity, give it to a friend or keep it for my hall of Ironmen. Yes there are others to come :)
Selling isn't the most noble of choices but my hobby is starting to become quiet expensive now that I am entering the world of sculpting and I have no job.

This looks great Drack, can't wait to see some paint slapped on it :)

That helmets a credit to ya' mate, really impressed:thumbsup Shame about the old suit being retired but glad to hear your going the plastic coated route.:cool

Your foam build was already nothing like foam so the plastic coat route will def be great. Ill keep that method for the nex IM suit tho since it does require bit of a budget and im also out of a job atm :)

That looks soooooooo gooooooood.....

This looks great Drack, can't wait to see some paint slapped on it :)

Awesome as usual! Love watching your work man.

Thank you guys glad you like it :)

That helmets a credit to ya' mate, really impressed:thumbsup Shame about the old suit being retired but glad to hear your going the plastic coated route.:cool

Cheers bro thought you might like it :)
Wish I had the money when I started it to do the plastic coated suit but I guess I could sell the foam one to fund my new venture. The plastizote I just ordered wasn't cheap but I want the suit to look as sharp as the lid.

Your foam build was already nothing like foam so the plastic coat route will def be great. Ill keep that method for the nex IM suit tho since it does require bit of a budget and im also out of a job atm :)

Thank you for the compliment on the foam not looking like foam but since Shelfside started his every time I look at mine it looks very foam and thats not good enough. The other reason I want to go plastic coated is that the helmet will look out of place cause the rest of the suit isn't going to measure up.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back