Doogie Howser M.D. Reboot

Psab keel

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just in case you were clamoring for the sacred days of Doogie Howser M.D. here is the modern reboot to help cheer you up.

I'm trying to keep in mind the whole idea that Keith Coogan mentioned at Iconicon that studios must exercise their IP rights by a certain time before those rights revert back to the original writers, but it just makes me laugh that THIS is what they're clinging to. I watched the original show as a kid but I couldn't attempt to revisit it because the idea is so painfully corny. This looks just as bad.

If you want a good laugh, check out this trailer.

I've completely changed my mind on reboots. I love them now. I want every franchise to be remade, rebooted, reimagined. All of them. Every single one. Then after they've all been redone, maybe just maybe we might get something original. Or Hollywood will implode. I'm good with either.

It's interesting when it's purely about trying to make money and not sharing stories from your imagination and heart.

The IP rights aspect is a valid point though.

I just see that meeting going like this:

Presenter: "We want to reboot Doogie Howser M.D.".
Execs: *Grumbling, seat shuffling*
P: "Just stick with me. This time we will, now hold onto your seats, make the main character a... girl!"
Execs: "You brilliant SOB, you have gold right in your hands!"

PtjTzb6.gif

It just feels like desperation at this point with certain stories. Take a mediocre show from the 1980's, gender swap it and suddenly it'll be a hit, right?

I mean the concept is as goofball as they come. Is Disney that desperate to try and cash in on such an average property? I don't get it. Some things should just be left to history. Doogie Howser is one of them. :lol:

Small Wonder? Yeah that show was terrrriblleeeeee..... watch it will be the next one to come back. :lol:

According to Wikipedia:

Reception:​

Despite proving popular, it has been regarded as one of the worst sitcoms of all time. In 2002, Robert Bianco, TV critic for USA Today, listed it as a contender for one of the worst TV shows of all time,[3] and according to the BBC, it "is widely considered one of the worst low-budget sitcoms of all time."

I WANT AN IMMEDIATE REBOOT NOW!!! IT WOULD BE AMAZING!!!

Last edited:
Jason Scott Lee is still alive and acting, I did not know that. Enjoyed Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story but can't seem to recall ever seeing him in anything else. Oh well I'm sure this role will do wonders for his career. Yikes.

Hmmm, 16 and in training? Mom is her attending?

Makes references to the show they are rebooting?

Is Kevin Smith involved? I hear he was a big fan of the original show. XD

I'll take, "things I wont waste my life on," for $400.

I just find it hilarious that this is the kind of thing that they are worried about losing the rights to. Doogie Howser. I'm clearly not seriously upset by any stretch of the imagination. I only posted it because it made me laugh out loud.

I mean if it were a struggling studio who is in dire financial straits I guess you hold on to whatever you have but this just feels pathetic to me. I'll date myself here, but this comes across as the modern version of the direct to video remakes and sequels that I saw lining the kids shelves at our local video stores or the things you'd see on the Disney channel.

It just makes me wonder how bereft of originality a company has to be to mine from the depths of mediocre television to try and make a buck. Though I mostly consider Disney an aquisition company than a movie studio anymore.

On some chemical bottles they have first aid instructions that may say, "If swallowed, induce vomiting". Watching this show may be an easy way, instead of sticking a finger down your throat.

TazMan2000

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back