Does Darth Vader’s Costume Look “Dated”??

When it comes to being dated, I always felt this room was a bit there. But it might be those reddish pannels are very similar to the orange cabnets and colors of the 70s and just reminds me of that too much.
star-wars-han-solo-heros-journey-death-star-the-hoth-spot.jpg

Looking through pictures online, I see this one of David without the mask.....
kzrouh5qhd8y.jpg

The look and lighting make him look SO much like Roy.
Roy.jpg

Lighting is closer, but the jacket in the one above then has a Vader look to it. Kinda creepy.
bladerunnerroybatty.jpg

When it comes to being dated, I always felt this room was a bit there. But it might be those reddish pannels are very similar to the orange cabnets and colors of the 70s and just reminds me of that too much.
View attachment 1633148
That's why Rogue One, Andor and Solo, even Kenobi series used dated stuff like that all over the place, most of the props used in those newer films and series were from made from 1970s items. And the display panels were made to look similar.

Who am I to judge, being a Child of the 1960s, who was 20 in 1977.

But in looking over the Vader photos in this thread, the only things that look dated, and indeed resemble Radio Shack kits, are the belt boxes.

As was mentioned above, when costumes take their cues from historical clothes they resist looking dated.

Agreed that the costume was perfectly proportioned to Prowse and on anyone of smaller build it doesn't look right.

Should The Mountain be the new Vader? I don't know the dimensions of those two men, would the costume have to be scaled up for him?

Anyone got any take on the Square Enix Variant Arts Version? Personally, I think its a bit too far here and there, but overall, pretty dang Badass alternative/ modern Universe Interpretation of the Character.

There's too much going on here for my taste, BUT I really like the idea of the chest box being smoothly integrated into the shoulder/neck armor piece. I think that alone would make the body look less "assembled" and more cohesively "designed"

If Vader were designed today, he would just be a bunch of EVA foam panels on a skin tight suit with unnecessary tiny detailing that you can't even see on film, HUD displays, etc. He would just be an Iron Man/Bay Transformer Vader. Less is more. Simplified is better than overdesigned. He's perfect. And since he's never not been in the mainstream since his inception, kids these days don't know any better, like us. He is who he is and that's all he has to be.

I want to offer a counterpoint.

While I agree if 'Hollywood' was making Darth Vader for the first time today, or if 'Hollywood' was re-making Star Wars and re-designing Darth Vader for 'today's audiences' it would probably be a forgettable disaster instead of an iconic/powerful/memorable character and costume.

Where I disagree is that there are many, many talented independent artists, graphic artist, and costume designers who I think could, today, update the look of Darth Vader without re-designing him. I believe it is possible to update his look and make it an updated version of the original without losing what made the original costume so quintessential and enduring.

While I agree if 'Hollywood' was making Darth Vader for the first time today, or if 'Hollywood' was re-making Star Wars and re-designing Darth Vader for 'today's audiences' it would probably be a forgettable disaster instead of an iconic/powerful/memorable character and costume.

Where I disagree is that there are many, many talented independent artists, graphic artist, and costume designers who I think could, today, update the look of Darth Vader without re-designing him. I believe it is possible to update his look and make it an updated version of the original without losing what made the original costume so quintessential and enduring.

Yes, this precisely. There's enough incredible fanart around the internet that I have no doubt someone could modernize the existing Vader costume without it looking like a "modern" costume (and all the design trends associated with that)

there are many, many talented independent artists, graphic artist, and costume designers who I think could, today, update the look of Darth Vader without re-designing him.
After Jenny Beavan's team hit Mad Max: Fury Road out of the park, I would love to see her take a swing at it.

Speaking of, I astonishingly can't seem to locate a single photo online of an "Immortan Vader" cosplay mash-up... Has nobody done this?

Until the studio comes in....Needs more flair!!!

Who am I to judge, being a Child of the 1960s, who was 20 in 1977.

But in looking over the Vader photos in this thread, the only things that look dated, and indeed resemble Radio Shack kits, are the belt boxes.

As was mentioned above, when costumes take their cues from historical clothes they resist looking dated.

Agreed that the costume was perfectly proportioned to Prowse and on anyone of smaller build it doesn't look right.

Should The Mountain be the new Vader? I don't know the dimensions of those two men, would the costume have to be scaled up for him?
Lot of publicity pics thought to be Prowse, but were Kermit Eller or some other person, I've heard some of the ESB ones that are studio shot are not Prowse either. I recall Vader walking down the shuttle ramp on Moon of Endor was another actor (Neither Prowse or Anderson)

To me it would only look dated if it had parts that are old fashion. If it had vacuum tubes on it for example. The push buttons dont date it to me

It is possible to modernize an Iconic design without destroying it. I'm a Doctor Who fan. I think the new series did a good job updating the Daleks and Cyberman (under Russel T. Davies). So it's definitely possible to update the design without ruining the legacy... if done by talented people. The problem is those people are few and far between at Disney.

To me it would only look dated if it had parts that are old fashion. If it had vacuum tubes on it for example. The push buttons dont date it to me

Something else to consider: things look dated only if they stop being used (like vacuum tubes). Some things that haven't been updated in a long time still look contemporary, e.g. the Colt 911 which is 111 years old, or McDonald's Golden Arches, which are 54 years old.

Vader doesn't suffer from lack of exposure, so it's hard for him to date too badly.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back