Does anyone have pics of Jeff Parks' Mara Jade saber?

Anakin Starkiller

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys,

I know that there have been a lot of variations of this prop made by a bunch of different sellers. But, I'm trying to find some good references of the original version built by Jeff Parks.

Thanks
Dan

Man, that brings back memories!

I'll have a look at some of my older HHDs and see if I saved any...

I just got one made by vektor, his is a exact copy of master replicas. If you need any pics of that just let me know

Thanks guys. Ridire, that is a good link. But I think it shows some of Jeff's later MJ sabers that differed a bit from the one he originally made for Decipher. So, if anyone has any OG Parks Jade saber pics, please post them. Thanks

Yes. He was commissioned by Decipher to make the MJ hilt. This was back in the day when he would advertise in the back of Starlog.

This one?

Star Wars prop Mara Jade EL Lightsaber purple blade | #21653486

03E995FA-3C8C-44E5-9CC1-8F8EF617ABC2.jpeg

Last edited:
It depends on what you mean by your request.

He only made and sold 5 exact replicas (I own one) off the radar of as the one he built for the CCG. He then changed some elements when he later posted them on his website (longer hilt, little holes in the emitter, etc..).. Then later when he changed the technology he also changes some some of the production methods such as milling the hilt grips instead of individual plates.

Here is one of the original 5.

The certificate below is one of a kind. After I bought the lightsaber from Jeff, I created the Certificate and asked him if he would sign it. Not only did he do it, but he also offered to take it to a upcoming convention and have Shannon Baksa (maiden name) and Timothy Zahn sign it.

IMG_5124D.jpeg

IMG_5118D.jpeg

IMG_5121D.jpeg

IMG_5122D.jpeg

mjcert.jpg

Last edited:
I just got one made by vektor, his is a exact copy of master replicas. If you need any pics of that just let me know

Master Replicas is an idealized version based on the control box. But i can tell you this: I know for a fact that someone sent one of the original 5 overseas to Larry Larbel who was in charge of saber hilt design for MR so he could have a good reference. I am not saying who that might be. Oh, BTW, I was given a free Artist Proof of the MR Mara hilt for some reason.

For those that don't know. This lightsabers used early EL technology. So the blade is actually a blue blade and the purple effects were added in post photography. The type of small switch you see had to be held down to keep the blade lit. This predated the ability for hilts to have sound. That is if you do not count the high pitch whine the EL blade made when powered on.

Last edited:
Also, if you are wonder why Jeff never openly offered exact copies of the hilt, I believe he was worried about legal repercussions. As you know, Jeff did a great job selling hilts without any issues with LFL. He never called them lightsabers nor referred anything Star Wars in conjunction with his product. If I remember correctly, he told me that the Mara Jade hilt design was not his. He was given the design by Decipher and he did the construction. So he did not want to rock the boat by selling exact copies of the design. I think he figured if he slightly altered them, it would keep him out of trouble. That's why he made changes as I mentioned in the other post.

Last edited:
If that is a Luuke build (based on the avatar), it's probably a good replica. He may have gotten good info from one of the limited Parks. I also know for a fact that Tim Peneta (Jedi135) borrowed a limited Parks to do his replica. Back in this day, not many people did hollow hilts, mostly solid statics. I know Larry Leung (aka Larbel) also offered a nice replica of the hilt prior to MR starting up and he being hired on. Also later, Chen (5postboy) also did a nice replica. Most builders tend to idealize the design especially the control box. Jeff's also had a very unique way for switching out the brass know for a covertec knob for those that wanted to wear the saber on a belt but his wheel he made was bare metal as most others made the wheel out of brass to match the knob for consistency.

A good copy should be on the short side. Parks made them a little longer when he started openly selling them because for most people, the hilt would seem short

Just another Parks story. Around 2003, Parks was able to offer purple EL blades. Still no sound. He also changed the switch from the skinny one you had to hold down (momentary switch) to a larger one that you could press just once (latching switch ). I reached out to him and asked if he could build me a MJ saber of the original design but purple blade and using the old style switch but make it a latching switch. So he agreed. When I got it, I was disappointed because he changed the way he made the lower grips. Instead of individual plates, bolted on, he now milled them as part of the body design which also made the area around the brass knob rounded instead of squared. He also included the little holes around the top of the emitter like he did when he started offering the hilt openly. This was a similar design he used when he made Obi A New Hope hilts. He confessed to me that he really did not remember all the details of the original design he had built years prior.

One last thing... I at one point owned 2 of the 5 original Parks replicas. Someone sold me theirs. However, it was stolen during a military move.

mjsabercollection.jpg

The above photo was taken around late 2000, early 2001. Two of them are the original Parks, I believe the other is a Larbel and the other could be a Luuke's . I know Jedi 135 did not make his till 2003. The mini one was made by someone on the board for my daughter. She was 3 years old at the time. For those that do not know, my daughter's real name is Mara Jade (hence my RPF callsign).

Last edited:
I don’t know who made those sabers I posted, I had the images saved on my HD.

I have 2 Parks made EL no sound sabers: a Luke ESB using his Gen 1 Graflex, and a Kenobi EP1. I keep thinking someday I’ll gut them and add a modern LED tech set-up.

You know its a Jedi135 version because the cap on the pommel comes off and inside is a brass plaque with a number engraved in it. Hoping to get one of those in my collection one day.

I don’t know who made those sabers I posted, I had the images saved on my HD.

I have 2 Parks made EL no sound sabers: a Luke ESB using his Gen 1 Graflex, and a Kenobi EP1. I keep thinking someday I’ll gut them and add a modern LED tech set-up.
I think most of those images are the MR except the one made to look like a CCG card, i think that is a Luuke.

I thinned out my MJ saber collection a while ago. I figured since I had a true replica, i did not need the others ad sold them off with the exception of the MR artist proof. My daughter still has her mini saber and I gifted her that Parks bladed version I mentioned in a prior post.

If someone was ever to make a quality and accurate FX lightsaber, I might bite but some of those get way too pricey for me. So who knows.
You know its a Jedi135 version because the cap on the pommel comes off and inside is a brass plaque with a number engraved in it. Hoping to get one of those in my collection one day.
I got rid of the hilt but I still have the brass plaque. I forgot I had it when I sold it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back