Doctor Who opinions

I'm conflicted on Clara 'surviving' Sure, she eventually has to die, but really, so does everyone. She effectively has infinite time, however, so travel with her TARDIS and Me. I do love the old style control room, and am really curious if they'll do any spin off radio or anything with Clara/Me.

So freaking glad the Doctor got a Sonic Screwdriver back though. About damn time. Enough with the ****ty glasses.

I loved this episode.

And I LOVED the idea of Clara an Me heading off with their own tardis. With hope, we might meet them again in a few seasons (and cap'n jack!)

great finish to a very slow season in my opinion . although I still can not decide if the last two episodes were that great or they just seem better when compared to the blah of almost all the rest of this season .

I loved this episode.

And I LOVED the idea of Clara an Me heading off with their own tardis. With hope, we might meet them again in a few seasons (and cap'n jack!)
I know the tumblr lesbians are going to go nuts for this headcanon (without Jack), what with Clara strongly hinted to be bisexual (kissing Jane Austen, bi sexual in other incarnations) and Me/Ashildr outliving the human race, and having met many species has probably broadened her mind. And while it might seem fun, basically it'd be the worst of Moffat's Mary-Sue clichés all the time. What's next... pick up the Doctor's daughter Jenny?

On the positive: the more I look at that default Tardis interior, the more I love it. It's the perfect update of the original with hints of new. Just lose those Dalek-neck-ring round things, and add a comfy chair.

Meh. Terrific performances by Capaldi in the last few episodes, but I didn't care for some of the story elements in Hell Bent; just more of Moffat's fanboy attempts to screw with the audience (I'm being deliberately vague so as not to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet). I did like the retro TARDIS console room, but I wish the new sonic screwdriver looked a whole lot less like something Geordi La Forge would have kept in his toolbox.

The sunglasses were a nice detour for a bit. We'll always refer to this as the ray Ban season

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I hated everything about it, in fact, even though I said I was off the idiot Moffat train last year, I still watched, but no longer. I will never watch another Moffat Doctor Who episode as long as I live. It took a lot, but he's made me hate the show. Screw you, Steven Moffat.

The sunglasses were a nice detour for a bit. We'll always refer to this as the ray Ban season

From what?... the fact that Capaldi has to be playing the guitar in every episode? Comon! The Sonic Rayban's were like a slap in the face to all Whovians... they are as much of what defines the Doctor as the Tardis is... how would you feel if the Tardis all the sudden ended up being a Yaris and stuck like that all thru the season with no appearance of the Police Box at all! This season literally blew chunks. The ONLY redeeming quality of this season was the Capaldi had a few good moments to show that he can act... he had a couple of good speeches and dialogs and really showed me that he could be the Doctor... the stories on the otherhand were trash!

I haven't watched the last two episodes, but have read reviews/recaps to prepare myself.

On balance, I've found this season to be a very...mixed bag. I appreciate that there wasn't a "big thing at the end of each episode" arc again, but I think they woefully mishandled Clara's character and she should have ****ing gone last season at the end of the season like she was supposed to. I'd so much rather watch Faye Marsay from the Christmas episode last year as the new companion.

I thought the two-parters structure was also ill conceived and ill executed. It ended up always feeling like the first half of the episodes didn't really matter much, so the whole thing just dragged.

Overall, there were some good episodes, but I honestly found myself...bored this season. I didn't really care what happened, I didn't find many of the stories interesting, I found most of the "intentionally cool" moments to be distracting, uncool, and trying-too-hard, and they seemed to be an excuse for developing substance.

I don't know. I'm finding it harder to stay engaged with the show. I want to love it, but it just isn't doing it for me lately. I think Jenna sticking around well past her welcome really, really hurt this season, and depending on what happened at the end of the season, I may just be inclined to "skip" the season altogether in my mental canon. Kinda like the season where Amy "killed" the Doctor. Individual good episodes aside, that one is just a total blur to me, and one that I really don't give a rip about.

I hope the show will improve with a new companion. I think the best parts of this season have been when the Doctor is on his own or with Ashildr/Me. And I think that speaks to the need for fresh blood. For that matter, we need a new ******* showrunner. Moffat has now been running the show as long as RTD did, and much like RTD, I think he's stuck around about a season too long. RTD had similar problems with the "Season of specials." And, much like RTD's run, the prior season would have been good if sort of left to itself and contained.

I guess we'll see what comes next and what happens with the Christmas special. >sigh< I want this show to be really good again.

I think we all do! I personally feel as if Moffet has more or less given up... but there are a ton a good writers out there that would love a chance to write for DW... I think it's time Moffet hung up his typerwriter for awhile... you gave us some good show Moffet... some very memorable storylines, but we can tell you're tired and I think it's time to pass on the torch to someone who really cares about the characters and can make Capaldi shine as the Doctor.

From what?... the fact that Capaldi has to be playing the guitar in every episode? Comon! The Sonic Rayban's were like a slap in the face to all Whovians... they are as much of what defines the Doctor as the Tardis is... how would you feel if the Tardis all the sudden ended up being a Yaris and stuck like that all thru the season with no appearance of the Police Box at all!
A slap in the face to all Whovians is a huge over reaction - but, so is saying they are as much of what defines the Doctor as the TARDIS. The Sonic Screwdriver made its first appearance five years into Doctor Who's run and was destroyed during the 5th Doctor's run, not returning until the 8th Doctor. I didn't care for the sonic sunglasses - but, let's not pretend that's as integral to the series as the TARDIS... which, of course, a great deal of the series takes place without it being part of the storyline.

I think we all do! I personally feel as if Moffet has more or less given up... but there are a ton a good writers out there that would love a chance to write for DW... I think it's time Moffet hung up his typerwriter for awhile... you gave us some good show Moffet... some very memorable storylines, but we can tell you're tired and I think it's time to pass on the torch to someone who really cares about the characters and can make Capaldi shine as the Doctor.

It's less his flaws as a writer and more his flaws as a showrunner. He makes the larger scale creative decisions, but the individual writers write the episodes. I think the real flaw this season was the lack of clear characterization beyond the most superficial aspect of Clara (namely "She thinks she's the Doctor."). Clara has never been consistently written, but this season really took it to extremes, coming hot on the heels of last season and her supposedly having been almost destroyed by the experience of Danny's death. And ultimately, that falls on Moffat. Managing the continuity, having a clear sense of direction for the show, all of THAT is on Moffat. He gives the writers their marching orders, they go off and write an episode, and then he's supposed to be exercising quality control over them after the fact.

You know what it's really like? It's like every season with Clara she has "regenerated" a new personality with maybe only passing reference to what came before. Clara's the Impossible Girl! No, wait. Now she's a thrill-seeking adventure junkie, torn by her love of Danny Pink and her desire to continue adventuring with the Doctor, and ultimately shattered by Danny's death! No, wait. Now she's a wannabe Doctor herself, and basically acts just like the Doctor!

There are other things that have happened over the show during the Moffat period, and he's just totally abandoned/forgotten about them. Remember when Rory was an Auton? Then he somehow just...uh...wasn't, and managed to knock Amy up? Remember when Clara split into a billion aspects of the Doctor's timestream? Oops. Guess that doesn't matter anymore, either. Remember how Orson Pink -- Danny's descendant -- exists out there somewhere in time? We still don't know how he came to exist. Even in this season, we see the introduction of the Sandmen, the Morpheus pod, and their (literally) viral video message. Does any of this matter? Will it ever be addressed again?

Probably not, because Moffat doesn't really give a ****. He introduces stuff, treats it like some big mystery, and then just moves on as if he's bored with it and doesn't want to bother answering the question he allowed to be raised. Moreover, he doesn't want to play within any rules that the story has set for itself.

Ultimately, I think this is the single biggest weakness of Moffat's tenure, and it's one which even spills into the characterization of the Doctor. It used to be that this show had internal storytelling rules. You establish a rule, and then you have to either live with it, or create a new rule to explain how you can break the old one. The number of regenerations is the classic example. 13 and that's it. EXCEPT that we saw -- in the old series -- the Time Lords granting the Master additional regenerations, so there's your escape hatch. It's similar with storytelling. When you tell a story, part of world-building is in establishing the in-universe explanation for how/why things work. Some stuff is explicit (e.g. the regenerations rule is clearly stated multiple times), other stuff is implicit (e.g., we know that identical characters with the same last name have to come from somewhere or have some connection to each other). When you touch on the implicit rules, you have to explain them. Otherwise, you're doing ineffective world-building and it looks like you're just making **** up as you go.

So, too, with characters. We, the audience, know how people behave. We know how events affect them. We know how personality traits tend to be reasonably internally consistent with each other, or at least have an explanation/root cause/motivation behind them. So, you have a character who is acerbic and brusk with strangers, except for children, and who has a hatred of female authority figures. When the character's backstory is revealed, we learn that they were orphaned at a young age (explains the bruskness with strangers -- fear of attachment, and the kindness to children -- self-identification with them), and left at an orphanage with a tyrannical headmistress (explains hatred of female authority figures). Likewise, when we see the character go through events during the story, we expect those events to register on the character because we know that people change based on their experiences. So, if the character travels in time and confronts or otherwise finds peace with the headmistress, we wouldn't be surprised if they then react less negatively to female authority figures.

Moffat, though, doesn't give a **** about these rules at all. He's just as happy to have a character be an isolated collection of personality quirks with zero backstory or explanation for them. Likewise, he doesn't care about the experiences characters have. So, if we see Kate Stewart cry at the death of a subordinate in one episode, it's purely written for the moment and will have zero impact on her the next time we see her. That experience might as well never have happened. Likewise with the world-building. He's happy to introduce some random question-raising plot element....and then never touch on it again because he doesn't care. Or to the extent it's ever explained at all, it's some half-assed dashed-off answer because he can't be arsed to really work at world-building.

Some people say "Oh, well, that's just a fantasy show." I say, "No, that's just an excuse for poor writing."

I don't expect every writer for Doctor Who to know all the ins and outs of the show and its intricate history. But I DO expect that from the showrunner.

Although I do agree with pretty much everything you said I have to disagree with you, slightly, on what you said about Moffet creating things and just forgetting about them. I wonder if what's going is that he's trying to legacy build, trying to create the next Dalek, or Cyberman, something for writers to pick up on later and make great, something to become the next fan favorite. I'm not saying that's what he's doing but I wouldn't be too surprised if that's what he's trying to do, it's something that fits into the ego of some script writers.

Although I do agree with pretty much everything you said I have to disagree with you, slightly, on what you said about Moffet creating things and just forgetting about them. I wonder if what's going is that he's trying to legacy build, trying to create the next Dalek, or Cyberman, something for writers to pick up on later and make great, something to become the next fan favorite. I'm not saying that's what he's doing but I wouldn't be too surprised if that's what he's trying to do, it's something that fits into the ego of some script writers.

Oh, he's definitely done that. He's done it with the Weeping Angels. My sense was the thing with the Sandmen was a similar attempt. Probably the Silence, too, and any of the other various monsters that got specific racial names or something (e.g., "The [Bigscarymonsters]"). Sometimes they're just some one-off like the Mire (whom I doubt we'll see again except as some obscure reference in the future), but others I think they're pushing hard to "make it happen." The Angels are part of the merchandising so, to some extent, that genuinely worked. Plus, to be fair, the Angels are a pretty awesome monster. It's just that he's gone back to that well too many times in his tenure, I'd say. Very much like River Song, actually.

In most cases, these were intriguing ideas that became far, far less interesting after repeated appearances.

--EDIT--

Also, I think if you look at the stuff that Moffat has bothered to go back and "explain," his explanations are usually of the "Can't really be arsed about this" type. So, Rory was an auton which, YOU'D THINK would mean he can't actually produce children and is functionally immortal, seeing as how he was a centurion who lived for a gajillion years waiting for Amy. And then he's just human again because the Doctor hit the reset button on the universe in The Big Bang.

Stuff like that makes me think that Moffat really just....doesn't care. He doesn't care about making his stories have weight, consequences, or any kind of internal logic. He can often do solid emotional writing, but as soon as you look past that, the whole story falls apart and makes no sense. And not just because wibbly-wobbly-bulls***, but because he really can't be bothered to try to make the explanation work any better. This is, as far as he's concerned, perfectly acceptable.

Last edited:
Solo4114

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, let's just count ourselves lucky that they didn't make the mental connection of a sonic screwdriver and an electric guitar, and make the Doctor Open doors by playing his guitar at them.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back