Do we know what the inside of Vader’s helmet prop looks like? (ANH/ESB/ROTJ)

ToyBoy

Hello!

I am looking to see what the interior of screen used Vader helmets looks like.

I am trying to get a sense of how the lenses perch on the nose.

The only image I was able to find was the interior of an ESB stunt helmet, but I am not sure if that is how they all look.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_5077.png
    IMG_5077.png
    167.2 KB · Views: 74
There was definitely padding inside the helmet in each film. Dave Prowse used to relate a story about when he first put the helmet on and turned his head -- the helmet didn't move, so they added the padding.

In ANH the padding was either black-ish foam or covered with black fabric. In the behind the scenes footage where Prowse is being dressed you can see the inside of the face mask is black.

Cheers,

Dave C

Last edited:
Do you think there was originally padding in the helmet?
I don't know. I can imagine that this was used for promos for quite some years and the original foam probably was removed because of wear and decay. There's some glue residue and traces of foam around that triangle in the middle. But looks like it might have been originally padded with foam that was taped over with black gaffer's tape or something similar.

There was definitely padding inside the helmet in each film. Dave Prowse used to relate a story about when he first put the helmet on and turned his head -- the helmet didn't move, so they added the padding.

In ANH the padding was either black-ish foam or covered with black fabric. In the behind the scenes footage where Prowse is being dressed you can see the inside of the face mask is black.

Cheers,

Dave C
Thanks Dave!

Do you know if there was a nose bridge for the mask to rest on? Similar to eye glasses?

In photos where you can see Vader’s eyes (tie advanced scene) it seems like the lenses are pushed up right to his eyes and show only his eyes (no cheeks / nose).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back