Diegator's Grey Fox / Cyborg Ninja *COMPLETED*

Re: Diegator's Grey Fox / Cyborg Ninja WIP

Your cuts were much thinner than mine probably because you used a thinner cutting blade than I did which means it should be a lot easier to get everything back together.

I have Tokugawa Heavy Industries on the back as well because reference images from the artbook show that the words on the back are also three lines with the first line being longer. This pattern matches with what's on the front so that was my reasoning for having that on the back as well. Also, with regards to the Omi Gibson helmet decal I don't think the triangle is large enough at least compared to the reference images I have.

Decals that I designed. I made up some stuff for the forearm armor and made a random bar code since I thought it would fit in with a secret project.

Another note is that your design will depend a lot on which version you go for as the helmet is different between the game and the line art in the artbook. I believe there's even differences between the original game and the one for Gamecube. For instance, I didn't include text on the back of the helmet about 3/4 of the way back because that doesn't appear in any of the artbook images nor figures available at the time. Also in the original game the area on the back of the helmet is a hexagon while in the artbook it's a pentagon. Well actually there's a version even in the artbook that has it drawn as a hexagon but that was early concept art from what I understood. I also chose to make the entire helmet white instead of painting the area on the back orange/brown.

Overdue update and question:

Here I finished splitting the faceplates and the neck piece of the helmet, and I'm now debating whether to make one final cut or not:
IMG_3436.JPG

IMG_3442.JPG

IMG_3439.JPG

So the question is whether or not I should cut the forehead piece and make that one removable. My original plan was to make it move, since no one has made that, and that's what it looks like in the artbook:
51332_ninja2_122_855lo.jpg

However, in-game, which I played through yesterday, it doesn't look like it opened.
(here's the best picture I could find online, not of the original game)
e78596d06eecb989762de10d60f445f5047d1521_large.jpg

So, I turn to you, RPF. What should I do? It's a pretty important cut. I can make it happen, and it doesn't seem like it'll make the helmet any less stable at this point, since the faceplates were the ones providing the most stability. I have also worked out how to make it move once I cut it, and how to keep it in place and all that (at least I think I know... you know how these things go) I just don't know if I should risk it or whatever, seeing as how it doesn't move in the in-game version.

I vote for cutting the forehead piece and making it move just because you can. Plus it's in the artbook/concept art so clearly it was planned to have the forehead piece move. I think it doesn't move in the game because there wasn't a need for it to move. I had also mocked up some methods for making it shift into the higher position but I got lazy and never implemented them. I might have to go back and rework my helmet based on your work.

Also, smart choice with having the back piece cut out. I have some issues since I cut the chin piece - the weight of everything makes it drop down a cm or two - enough to increase the gap where the cheek pieces go. I'm sure I can add more points of contact to increase the stability but with yours you don't have to worry about that at all. Definitely one of those "wish I had done that" in hindsight things.

Previously on Diegator's Grey Fox / Cyborg Ninja WIP:

So, you have convinced me to cut the forehead.In pictures here's what's happened so far:
IMG_3783.JPG

I added some nylon finishing washers
IMG_3957.JPG

Sculpted the housing for the light and lens out of a sheet of styrene (I think it was styrene at least)
IMG_3961.JPG

Glued said housing to the newly detached forehead piece
IMG_3969.JPG

IMG_3984.JPG

Filled the area around the washers:
IMG_3987.JPG

Here's a detail of the back:
IMG_3992.JPG

Took it to the paint shop:
IMG_3995.JPG

IMG_3997.JPG

IMG_3999.JPG

And TADA!!

IMG_4016.JPG

IMG_4017.JPG

IMG_4018.JPG

I have one more round of sanding/priming to do (I hope) and then I'll make my first mold. (fingers crossed)

Also, I designed two tokugawa logos. Tell me which one doth theRPF prefer.

tokugawa%2520logo%2520copy.jpg
tokugawa%2520logo%2520copy2.jpg

The reason for the variation on the second logo is this:
1171132441-00.jpg

Check out the little box on his hip I was going to do it exactly like it, but it looked too much like an upside-down triforce, so I made only the small triangle. What do you think?

Sweet mother of god and all of her wacky nephews!

That is amazing! I personally prefer the more-angular Play-arts interepration, but hot damn, that's smooth-looking!

I personally prefer the filled triangle, but te other would look better imo if it was a straight Y-shape without the curves and thin, barely noticeable. Good spot with the logo on the cover though.

_Atlas

The second version is certainly interesting but if you're going for accuracy stick with the solid triangle. Other than that, looking great! I really like the profile of your helmet, especially the small protrusion just under the front sensor. Mine's pretty much flat going down but I think yours looks much more interesting.

Oh actually I do have one question - you have all three sensors on the back pentagon area at the vertices. In the line art from the art book the lower ones are not at the vertices but halfway down. Are you going by the game? I had a hard time telling the precise location in the game so I went with the line art version.

Yes, I'm going by the game version. Although when I was modelling the thing I looked at all the references at the same time and kinda came up with my own interpretation. For instance, the front 2 small sensors are slightly above the midpoint of the line, as shown in one of the artbook drawings above, yet that's the only place where they are shown so high.

One last coat of primer!
... until I ran out of primer...

So I switched to white!
OMG, this looks awesome. I'm beside myself :love Check it out:

IMG_4026.JPG

IMG_4029.JPG

IMG_4030.JPG

IMG_4032.JPG

Aaaand with light:
IMG_4039.JPG

IMG_4042.JPG

IMG_4058.JPG

The camera really doesn't do the light justice... it comes out this really deep red.

And in this last one, I photoshopped the logo in to make it look cool :D
IMG_4059%2520copy.jpg

I know the paint coverage isn't perfect at this point, but that doesn't matter too much, since this only the master - for those of you tuning in now.

So now onto some more serious business:
I noticed that while assembling the helmet for photo ops, it's really hard to get everything to fit just right because of the amount of flex some of the parts experience, and since this helmet is mostly open surfaces, meaning I don't get any truss structures to hold the shape down, there is little I can do to make it any more rigid.
How should I go about making it rigid, at least for the mold making part? The thing is, once I take it apart, it is anyone's guess if the pieces held their shape, since the only way to check is against each other. And since I don't want to waste silicone making multiple trial and error molds, can anyone suggest a way I might go about reinforcing the individual pieces while still assembled, such that when I take them apart they will retain their shape?

Thanks for looking. Stay tuned!

This is just amazing. I always wanted to do this costume. I'll use this thread as a guide for when I do mine.

amazing work man.
IMG_4059%2520copy.jpg

This is just amazing. I always wanted to do this costume. I'll use this thread as a guide for when I do mine.

amazing work man.
IMG_4059%2520copy.jpg

And I'll be using your threads, and vlogs, and tutorials to build the rest of the suit :)

Thanks for the kind words!

So now onto some more serious business:
I noticed that while assembling the helmet for photo ops, it's really hard to get everything to fit just right because of the amount of flex some of the parts experience, and since this helmet is mostly open surfaces, meaning I don't get any truss structures to hold the shape down, there is little I can do to make it any more rigid.
How should I go about making it rigid, at least for the mold making part? The thing is, once I take it apart, it is anyone's guess if the pieces held their shape, since the only way to check is against each other. And since I don't want to waste silicone making multiple trial and error molds, can anyone suggest a way I might go about reinforcing the individual pieces while still assembled, such that when I take them apart they will retain their shape?

Thanks for looking. Stay tuned!

I had similar issues as well when molding and casting mine. I have to do some corrective work after I make each cast to make sure it fits back together. Basically I use a heat gun and make some tweaks here and there. Yours should be better at keeping deformations down because the chin area is connected to the bulk of the helmet while in mine that was a separate piece so more deformation. Part of the reason it took so much more work after I cut it apart was because the pieces flexed on me so I had to add body filler to bulk it back up in areas where they line up.

Not sure if that's really helpful. Yours is looking a lot better than mine already. There's definitely things on mine I would have done differently if I had seen yours first :lol

That helmet is beautful, really.
If you want i can tell you what is written on the exoskeleton :)
I make some research for my suit!

That helmet is beautful, really.
If you want i can tell you what is written on the exoskeleton :)
I make some research for my suit!

Thanks! I actually asked for that question earlier in the thread and got some neat replies, mostly from the play arts figure and the McFarlane one - check it out. Have you found anything else?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back