DEUS EX - Augmented Arms

okay that is the most difficult piece of the vest. this piece has a double curve. you need to leave it big, so you can bend it to the right shape before you cut it to bend well with the adjacent parts.

okay that is the most difficult piece of the vest. this piece has a double curve. you need to leave it big, so you can bend it to the right shape before you cut it to bend well with the adjacent parts.

huh ? kinda got lost here. how can i leave it big ? :confused if you want PM me

i recommend you study the photos of Sloan and my vests. then you'll see how the piece is supposed to role over the shoulder. leave the piece long, form the piece into shape using a heat gun. then cut to meet the front shoulder part.

i recommend you study the photos of Sloan and my vests. then you'll see how the piece is supposed to role over the shoulder. leave the piece long, form the piece into shape using a heat gun. then cut to meet the front shoulder part.

Thanks I understand. But how can I print that exact page on the correct scale ? Since it doesnt line up with the other part ?

@rsloan: I am building an Adam Jensen Deus Ex Human Revolution cosplay costume and this post and this article have been extremely helpful. I just wanted to give you (and Zook_One) credit for all the content!

I printed out the PDFs that were shared on the article I linked above and cut the pieces in EVA Foam, then proceeded to try the vest and make some modifications, particularly to the neck line because it needs to fold instead of be flat, and I am making it slighly shorter to not rub on my jaw/neck so much.

Here are some photos of my early work (started a week ago):

IMG_20160728_101815.jpg
Back View

IMG_20160728_101800.jpg
Front View

IMG_20160728_101821.jpg
Neck line (work in progress). I made a cut in the middle to make it tighter and curve at the bottom. Seems to be working but I hope it doesn't look too ugly, I may have to tape and paint it (kind of how you patch drywall)

Early_Test_One.PNG
Super early test with "simulated" inner layers (multiple shirts and fake muscles)

Looking great so far!

Zookone deserves all the credit for the vest though. Those are his patterns. I'm the upper arm guy :)

Regarding the upper arms. I've made iterations and improvements over the years. Most recently I completed the Mankind Divided suit.
I've ditched the upholstery foam covered in black fabric and now, I just cut the muscle shapes out of the craft foam and foam mats. Much simpler, easier and sturdier.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 13700033_1150432555013173_7043775895370996895_n.jpg
    13700033_1150432555013173_7043775895370996895_n.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 324
Wow that has really come along way from the pictures I originally saw. I really like the arms, they definitely look way better!

This is my very first build, so I am sure there will be room for improvement. I am hoping to finish the outer vest in the next 3-4 days so I can move on to making the shirt that goes underneath.

For the arms I've been going back and forth in my mind between making it with thin EVA foam or fabric, or EVA foam covered with fabric. I have many more questions about building, but I'll take it to the general forum to ask them or search for them.

In the mean time, I am documenting the making-of the costume on my blog: http://alexkywalker.com

Please let me know if it's OK to PM with specific questions about this particular costume or if you prefer me to use this or another thread. Thanks!

Looking great so far!

Zookone deserves all the credit for the vest though. Those are his patterns. I'm the upper arm guy :)

Regarding the upper arms. I've made iterations and improvements over the years. Most recently I completed the Mankind Divided suit.
I've ditched the upholstery foam covered in black fabric and now, I just cut the muscle shapes out of the craft foam and foam mats. Much simpler, easier and sturdier.

Good luck!

I think I said this before but you pulled off his look perfectly.

Well, here's my first version of this costume... the augmented arm muscles sort of fell apart (velcro malfunction), so I am back to the drawing board.

Constructive criticism and suggestions welcome, thanks!

AdamJensen_01.jpgAdamJensen_02.jpgAdamJensen_03.jpgAdamJensen_04.PNGAdamJensen_05.PNGarms.png

(I know it looks a bit off in some areas, but keep in mind I put it on by myself with no help, so next time it should have no gaps or showing throughs :))

Work to be done next:
- Gloves
- Glasses
- Weapon

Improvements/Redos:
- Arms
- Pants (minor lines needed, attach leg bag -not shown in picture)
- Add missing EVA pieces to belt
- Use a belt in pants to prevent them from hanging like in the picture.
- Shave face and fix hair ;-)

Looking good man!

I think you might benefit from some better reference images for the vest(s) though. The lower back is not part of the inner-vest as you have it now.
As you can see in this image, it's part of the outer armor vest.

(Note: the lowest part of this vest is not attached yet (yellow).
Jensen_Vest_01.jpg

Here's how I made my vest(s):
AJ_14.jpg

The "inner vest" is basically a mock turtle neck. There's no back to it in the upper section. The ribbed area you see along the sides does go around the back though. Almost like an apron with super thick ties. -If that makes sense. The whole vest opens along lower one side with velcro.
The ribbed section was made from a ribbed foam mat that I bought from Lowes. It came by the foot and was displayed on a roll. -It was definitely a lucky find. At first I was going to use that clear plastic ribbed shelf/drawer liner stuff.

The first image below you can see is before I cut off the upper back part (since the neck clearly goes all the way around). You can also see the ribbed foam mat I used.
AJ_15.jpg
Here's the finished "inner vest."
AJ_16.jpg

Also, here's an image (from The Missing Link DLC), which shows each of Jensen's armor pieces:
2011-09-30_00046.jpg

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Attachments

• Jensen-combatgear.png
    Jensen-combatgear.png
    609.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Jensen_Vest_01.jpg
    Jensen_Vest_01.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 78
Looking good man!

I think you might benefit from some better reference images for the vest(s) though. The lower back is not part of the inner-vest as you have it now.
As you can see in this image, it's part of the outer armor vest.

(Note: the lowest part of this vest is not attached yet (yellow).

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Thanks a lot!

I am done with the first pass, so now I am sitting down to review revisions to it.

1) The arms didn't work out as I expected. I covered a black-long sleeve shirt with velcro and for the muscles I cut the pattern you/Zook posted in black shiny pleather and covered thin EVA foam pieces, then put velcro in them individually and attached them to the arm. They look kind of sloppy, not well put together.

2) I found an excellent deal on a MakerBot 3D printer so I 3D printed the glasses and need to paint them.

3) I am working on the B.S.F. gun, I have the innards ready, and I have been scoring the outer layers. I acquired a Dremel to help me smooth edges.

4) Vest improvements: I think the back part is completely messed up, but can be fixed per the photos you attached.

I will add new reference photos for more detail, so you can see where I am and offer any other suggestions, because I really want to make it better.

Mark II FTW!

Here's another reference image. This is the Human Revolution armor featured as a "costume" in Mankind Divided. It's definitely a more simplified version than what was in HR, which may be helpful to you.
xvhhvgjpvb7w.jpg

Fantastic!! Thank you! I am going to TwitchCon next week and plan to wear my cosplay there. I think I can manage to make the change to the back in time.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back