Defined Green Lantern Comic Rings

This is an awesome thread and I'm learning stuff I have never known. Thanks to all who have contributed.
What are we expecting to come out of this thread? I'm just trying to see the over all purpose of this thread.

I can't speak for gregatron, but i'd like to make each one. I'm modeling each symbol as everyone puts a new one up. Here's what I have so far.

greenlanternsymbolchart.jpg

After I model all of the symbols, i'm going to model them into rings.

Later tonight i'm going to put each symbol up so everyone can give there opinion on accuracy, (be critical guys, I want them to be right) and correct them if needed. And I need help organizing and naming each one for gregatrons chart.

Last edited:
Alright guys, this is all I have modeled at the moment. Be critical, i'd like these to be as accurate as possible.

91514400.jpg

50078585.jpg

95920590.jpg

37751183.jpg

44593111.jpg

38977595.jpg

41697093.jpg

24041813.jpg

87878154.jpg

77409140.jpg

18551707.jpg

68850873.jpg

42328651.jpg

23570836.jpg

34224577.jpg

46927094.jpg

36917599.jpg

50337162.jpg

58134021.jpg

95078711.jpg

23303393.jpg

52046513.jpg

12138271.jpg

42595572.jpg

Again, this is just what I have modeled. If you see any missing, let me know, and i'll model it as well.

Oh yeah, i'm going to take a crack at modeling the concept gl movie rings as well.

Last edited:
General:

* The reliefed GL symbols on the disc-rings should probably not be so thick in some cases.

* The V2 symbol-rings should probably be thicker, for the most part.

There should be a center circle in the middle of # 1's symbol. Only part of it is visible in the reference image of Abin Sur giving Jordan the ring, but it's there. Also, the edges of the symbol should be less pointy and more rounded, and the top more curved, instead of being a straight line.

The face of the symbol on # 4 should probably have curved surfaces, representing the actual shapes of the "real" lantern (like # 19), instead being of a flat-faced, reliefed representation of the GL symbol's shape. There should also be an extra horizontal lien separateing the main body of the symbol from the domed top portion.

Assuming # 7 represents the M.D. Bright version from EMERALD DAWN, it should be two-toned, with the lighter lime green color in the recessed areas.

# 12 should have the convex gem peeking out (unless you're reprsenting the flush gem variant, in which case, the gem should be flush with the surface instead of recessed).

# 14 should have more of a lime green color for the inset areas, as opposed to what looks like yellow.

The shape of the rear of # 15 is off (the rear is flat, instead of having a sloping top and bottom), unless you plan to rectify that when you add the band. One variant should also have a lighter-colored, slightly recessed, flat-faced gem, and another should not.

# 16 looks to be based on the DC Direct rings (what with the recessed face), rather than being a comic variant.

# 24 looks to be based on the movie ring, and, if so, should have a silver ring surrounding the gem rather than yellow/gold, and the gem should be a dome, rather than flat.

I'm currently doing the revisions on the symbols that you guys said needing correction, and i'll get them up for you guys to see as soon as i'm finished.

I'm also wanting to do the symols and rings for the rest of the corps and the more obscure rings like Power Ring, Bizarro Lantern, ect.... So if anyone ( Jack :)) has any pics of those, I would greatly appriciate it.

I'm currently doing the revisions on the symbols that you guys said needing correction, and i'll get them up for you guys to see as soon as i'm finished.

I'm also wanting to do the symols and rings for the rest of the corps and the more obscure rings like Power Ring, Bizarro Lantern, ect.... So if anyone ( Jack :)) has any pics of those, I would greatly appriciate it.
Ask and ye shall receive! :D

There was at least one story in which it was revealed that the Guardians of the Universe had at some point made their own Oan Power Rings to wield themselves! This was very controversial within the Corps' ranks once they found out, as the Oan Power Rings did not possess the weakness to all things yellow!

Oan Power Ring
1069329-oan_power_ring_super.png

Then of course, you have the magical power ring and battery that belong to Alan Scott, the Golden Age Green Lantern and member of the Justice Society of America...

Alan Scott's Power Battery (Note: This is the ONLY Power Battery that can accurately be described as a "train lantern", as that's exactly what it was!)
Scott1.png

Alan Scott's Power Ring
ring31.gif

Note: Some Golden Age artists may have drawn Alan's ring as a signet style ring, with an image of a lantern on it, similar to the symbol on his chest. It's been a VERY long time since I've looked at any of the Golden Age comics, so I could be wrong.

Next up, we have one Power Ring, from the Crime Syndicate of America! His ring, like Alan's, is magical, created by a mad sorcerer by the name of Volthoom!

I LOVE this ring's distinctive look, being a signet ring with a TRIANGULAR face and a stylized "X" as the symbol:

CrisisOnInfiniteEarthsPowerRing.jpg

PowerRingsRing2.gif

A neat CG render of the ring I found
PowerRingsRing.jpg

Power Ring also has his own unique battery...

PowerRingsBattery.jpg

DC Direct made an action figure of Power Ring several years ago. Included with the figure was his distinctive Power Battery, and a CHILD-SIZED PVC replica of his power ring

7d4271d8-1b55-4fd5-aba8-0dc70016633f.jpg

DC Direct also made a high-end, adult-sized, metal replica of his ring, sculpted as a proper signet ring. This was included ONLY with the Planet Krypton Power Ring Replicas Set, and is one of the reasons that set is so highly sought after on the aftermarket.

KCGLRings2_800.jpg

In the last few years, there have been some lazy artists that have chosen to draw the ring as a standard round signet ring instead. This was especially noticeable during the stories that featured a John Stewart version of Power Ring:

545195-0003.jpg

Couple more odds & ends...

(Counterfeit) GL ring from 1,000 years in the future, seen by Kyle Rayner during the time travel storyline "Emerald Knights"...

FutureCounterfeitGLRing.gif

Another design for Kyle's ring... might be from Jim Lee...

JimLeeKyleRaynerPowerRing.jpg

I swear, the boy redesigns his rings as often as he does his COSTUME... I'm frankly surprised that he never changed up his battery's design! :rolleyes

And.... I'm spent... gonna be out of town 'til the weekend... probably won't post again 'til Friday night at the earliest. See you poozers then! :cool

Last edited:
Thanks Jack, i'll start working on these as soon as I finish up revising the other symbols. BTW, a couple of your pics aren't showing up for me, would you mind fixing them when you get back in town? Thanks again.

Sorry for the lack of progress guys, I got a virus and had to redo my computer. Fortunatly, I saved all of my files on my external HD. I'm just now getting all of my programs reinstalled, so it could be a few days before i'm able to make anymore headway. Sorry guys.

Sorry for the lack of progress guys, I got a virus and had to redo my computer. Fortunatly, I saved all of my files on my external HD. I'm just now getting all of my programs reinstalled, so it could be a few days before i'm able to make anymore headway. Sorry guys.

Oh no problem man, you're doing us a favor by doing the work. Take your time.

Alright, I finally got everything re-installed. I've been working on adjusting the other symbols, but I couldn't resist starting on one of my favorite rings.

ring31r.jpg

asringwip.jpg

I haven't added all of the detailing yet, but I wanted to show you guys that i'm still making some progress.

Howsabout... more info on other rings, eh? ;)

Next up, we have a nefarious scheme hatched by the Weaponers of Qward! Their scheme? To create an ANTI-GREEN LANTERN CORPS wielding BLACK power rings charged with BLACK LIGHT!

These guys were seen in exactly ONE issue and then never seen again! Might have something to do with the fact that THEIR RINGS KILLED THEM WHEN THE 24-HOUR CHARGE RAN OUT!

Or it could be because Hal Jordan destroyed their Central Power Battery. Most likely it was the combination of the 2! :lol

Anyway...

The story of these guys is so crazy, I'm just gonna copy it from THIS WEBSITE verbatim:
The Black ... or possibly Blue:

AntiGLblackRing.jpg

Deaaaaaaath! Or laaaaaaaaack of emoooooooootion! Or hope. Whatever. This is "Qwardian Corps Plot #3." The Anti-matter Green Lantern Corps! Green being used in an ironic sense here (if you know your history it makes sense!). Okay, you know I'm actually kinda torn on this. I've always looked at this ring as black, because this was printed in a comic from the 70's with limited colors. And it shoots "black light" (not the actual black light, just light effects drawn with grey coloring). BUT, it could very well be blue.

The Qwardians spent 100 years perfecting their rings (during which time they made a few yellow rings for Sinestro and he stole the Central Battery from OA and made his own Corps of ill-trained thugs). This time ... ACTUAL QWARDIANS would use their own weapon! Wow. Finally. These rings worked off black light (but not "a" black light, just light that's colored black ... or a slight blue because that's the color for black in old comics). These rings functioned like GL rings (even if they were only used to blast things in the comic), but they'd also kill anyone wearing a positive matter ring instantly and painfully (but not if they're wearing a force field, which makes these rings slightly less than useful). One drawback, though, since a tremendous amount of willpower is needed to use these rings the bearers die after the 24 hour charge is up. Moreover, the bearers had to be genetically enhanced to have greater willpower (so they look like apes).

AntiGLcorpsmen.jpg
AntiGLcorpsmen2.jpg

This Anti-Green Lantern Corps had two different symbols. One was just a regular black GL symbol, but the other was more of a "twisted" GL symbol. Oddly enough, their rings are consistently drawn with the "twisted" GL symbol, even if their costumes are not.

So, these guys can kill a GL just by hitting them. You'd think a threat like this would last at least five issues. But, no. It lasted just the one. Apparently these guys have horrible aim; only three GLs actually died. This corps was beaten when the GLs destroyed their central battery (which was not as big as the Oan one, but was as tall as Hal Jordan).

AntiGLcorpsCPB.jpg

After their defeat the Qwardians promptly forgot they ever bothered making these things (100 years of research down the tubes) and made a more perfect GL ring replica for the next Anti-GL Corps. Which they promptly gave to morons. And these rings have absolutely nothing to do with the Black Lanterns at all.
:lol

Alright, I finally got everything re-installed. I've been working on adjusting the other symbols, but I couldn't resist starting on one of my favorite rings.

ring31r.jpg

asringwip.jpg

I haven't added all of the detailing yet, but I wanted to show you guys that i'm still making some progress.

I love this ring too
scg6iv.jpg

You can find A LOT of awesome and unique rings at Green Lantern Ring | Arrobasilver I got mine from there, and it looks kinda like a class ring. Took FOREVER to get here, I don't know why it took so long, but I still like my ring :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back