DARTH VADER ROTJ & EMPEROR displays -updated 3.14.12 new pics post #224

Re: ROTJ EMPEROR and DARTH VADER display progress

Thanks guys.
I wasn't sure what kind of response this would get as I didn't think there were very many emperor fans, and I already KNEW there aren't very many ROTJ Vader fans.
The emperor is probably my all time favorite SW character. Of course Vader still has the best costume, but for me the emperor has the best character.

I would like to start on the Royal Guard display next, which will probably be the next big sewing project. I've never seen them done just right and their costume is more complex than most people realize I think. Then there's the force pike.

However, more than anything, I've wanted to do a ROTJ Luke. Despite my efforts, I can't convince Cyberman to do one with me. :cry
I guess neither of us think there would be much interest (outside of myself) in a hyper realistic silicone ROTJ Luke.

Thanks guys.
I wasn't sure what kind of response this would get as I didn't think there were very many emperor fans, and I already KNEW there aren't very many ROTJ Vader fans.
The emperor is probably my all time favorite SW character. Of course Vader still has the best costume, but for me the emperor has the best character.

I would like to start on the Royal Guard display next, which will probably be the next big sewing project. I've never seen them done just right and their costume is more complex than most people realize I think. Then there's the force pike.

However, more than anything, I've wanted to do a ROTJ Luke. Despite my efforts, I can't convince Cyberman to do one with me. :cry
I guess neither of us think there would be much interest (outside of myself) in a hyper realistic silicone ROTJ Luke.

Ummmm, no...I'd want one!

Your representation of this legendary ROTJ duo seems quite real....you made an impressive work :thumbsup

Thanks!
I'm just about to start cutting out the eyes on that Emperor bust.

The emperor is probably my all time favorite SW character.

The emperor is one of my favorite characters as well!!! Well, from ROTJ anyway. He's not as witty or clever in the prequels. Chalk that up to the writer.

Anyway, awesome job. I think they both look great. But to make the emperor more screen accurate, don't forget the black slug on his hood. :)

You got it.
Have to do that in post production though. :lol

Thanks guys.

I LOVE the ROTJ Emperor. Stand these two bad boys together - with two Royal Gaurds just ahead at each side, and, well.... *drool*...

It really is a sight to behold- Seeing the two of them actually there like that. That bust is amazing and the pose as far as I can tell is spot on.

I'm looking forward to the updates on this one. You are the type of guy who keeps attacking things until they are perfect. So this will be one hell of a 101 for anyone who purchases a copy.

I think a ROTJ Luke would be an awesome next human bust to tackle. With that life cast option going on in the junkyard. You'd certainly have a good starting point to take off from.

Thanks a lot guys.
As long as you guys aren't getting numb from all the threads/pics I've been posting lately. I feel like all I've been doing for the last couple weeks is taking pics of stuff as opposed to actually working on them. :wacko

I really hope to get this head banged out in a few days. But just like everything else, I'll probably paint it, take pics. See the pics, then change it (maybe a couple of times) before I'm happy with it.

Thanks Jarvis,

I made some decent progress tonight. I'll take pics and create the step by step thread on SWP tomorrow, but for now, here's the progress breakdown.

Tonight I poured a bunch of resin eye blanks.
It was pretty nerve racking tinting a realistic eye white. It has a super subtle blue-ish grey tint that is extremely difficult to get right. Wasted a lot of resin.
These will ultimately become the eye blanks for my Darth Maul and Emperor, but finishing those won't come until I've finished painting the bust. Until then, I have my old custom made cantor nissel emperor eyes I'll use as a stand in for pics.

I used one of the incorrectly colored resin eyes (one of my many screw ups) to check the fit as I ground out the eyes of the bust. Total pain, but a perfect seamless fit is essential for the hyper realistic look I'm shooting for.

I also sculpted in the tear ducts with apoxie and spot filled any minor imperfections. This casting was 99.9% perfect so I only had to fill a couple of extremely minor surface imperfections (they were so trivial that I wouldn't have bothered with them, but since I had my putty already out...). Phil does really nice molding/casting work.

Now that he's all prepped and ready to go, tomorrow I'll start the paint work on the bust. I imagine I'm in store for a bit of trial and error on the paint scheme. :sick

Last edited:

Here's a couple pics based on the progress description in my last post.
The eyes are my custom made cantor nissel eyes that I had made for my cking bust.
These are just stand in eyes until I make some new ones.

I started a step by step thread on SWP for anyone who wants to follow it.

emperorstep1.1.jpg

emperorstep1.2.jpg

"I find that since I have a 7 year old the corners are generally the safest places."

I don't think a seven year old is gonna go NEAR a corner with Vader and the Emperor standing there. LOL

INCREDIBLE!!!

I think it would look very natural to have the Emperor slightly in front of Vader covering about 1/3 of his left side. It'd fit nicely in a corner that way as well. That is...if you plan on displaying this in a corner. I find that since I have a 7 year old the corners are generally the safest places.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back