Darth Unknown's Lightsaber (speculation thread)

The first time I hled a replica Luke I thought "this looks awesome! .... This is uncomfortable to hold... Is this really what it's like?"

Looks impractical. One slip and goodbye fingers / hand / whatever.

That's my thought. There's also absolutely no need for those little blade guard things. There are metals that a lightsaber can't cut through which would be 100% more sense. You have to waste power on those dumb little things.

One of my friends just posted this on Facebook.
Video is by Schola Gladiatoria, a history buff and sword enthusiasts' take on the Episode 7 lightsabre longsword
He brings up so interesting points from the Historical (Earth history) and the practical.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the real motivation behind this design is more simple. Every time we see a lightsaber in a new game or movie, or even described in a book, they try to do something we haven't seen before to spark interest. It isn't about making a practical weapon... it's about catching the eye. I don't think this is practical, but all the speculation is free advertising. Darth mauls double bladed lightsaber is a perfect example, so is Count Dukoo's curved hilt saber. There are only three questions that matter... Does it look cool? Will you see the movie? Will you buy the toy?

Ep7_saber.jpg

-Ss

A neat point made by a member named Lurknomore at theforce.net:

"If the mini-sabers start inside at the base of the crossguard, you wouldn't be able to cut them off with a lightsaber. Your sword might be able to slice at the crossguard's casing, but it would stop there and Driver's hand would remain protected.

The casing protects his hand from touching the mini-sabers, and lasers inside the casing may protect his hand from being cut by the sword of his opponent.

I don't know why this didn't occur to me before. Now I love this new design."

Last edited by a moderator:
Here were my musing on the theme. If the secondary blades are indeed blades and meant to function as a crossguard, I'd rather have them in front like this, with the emitters off set slightly so that the blades pass by on either side of the central blade. Kinda reminds me of the old-school poster, so I threw some flair in the middle, too.

qKtBIsJ.jpg

Cheers.

UJEtIOol.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a shot of it before the cross blades ignite. They look like standard lightsaber emitters to me, with the angled cut and everything.

ScreenShot001.jpg

thinking waaayyyyyy out of the box...... he turns it on "main blade" then turns on the "side blades". maybe he can also turn the main blade off and use it like a battle axe??? throw it with precision, kill the enemy and retrieve using the force. C.Q.B. 2 lightsabers locked together, enemy's face to face. turn your main blade off, letting the enemy's saber pass thru, side step and then battle axe them to shreds. :confused

battle axe lol, maybe an ice pick?

heres a 1080p still which highlights it is indeed an unstable blade. theres also lightning like arcs which ive noticed upon inspection of each frame by frame alternate with the side emitters. feel free to set as wallpaper!

15911971175_de50dd7ae9_o.png

I'm digging the saber, but since this segment is taken out of context of the whole story, perhaps this is a flashback to how the Jedi/Sith were 1000 years prior. Or JJ just wanted something really cool. Who knows.

At first I thought that the lightsaber looks a little bit weird, but after I watched the teaser a couple of times, I started to like it. This claymore-like sword might be great for a ruthless Sith. Plus, I love the unstable blade. I can't wait to see, how they explain it in the movie.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back