Darkside501st's Iron Man/Tony Stark Gauntlet and Arc Ractor Project

i dont know much about LED's. I am doing a new build and i need information about LED's so that I can do it right. What is the difference between G4 LED's and regular LED's, and SMD LED's. This is my project http://www.therpf.com/f9/new-iron-man-arc-reactor-build-186495/. Its the iron man arc reactor. How can i get the most light out of an LED? Which one is best? and how do I wire the whole thing? thanks Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 8.47.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-05-29 at 8.56.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-05-29 at 8.57.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-05-29 at 8.58.19 PM.png

Yeah, the LED part of it can be tricky. The G4 is just the type of 'bulb' that you can find. It usually has SMD LEDs which are surface mount LEDs. The brightness of the LEDs is directly related to the current that passes through it. There are many types of LEDs and many, many different ways to design the circuit. You should read a little more about them. There are lots of great tutorials out there.

This is totally the costume I'd LOVE to do. Let me know if you ever produce these gauntlets - they're by far the best I've ever seen.

Nice work!

I wanted to share with you guys that I have posted an interest list on my gauntlets for those that are interested. Take a look in the Junkyard for more info.

Darkside, I've been following your numerous awesome threads for about a year now as you do great work and I've used your build to reference while building mine. I have a couple of questions for you. Is there an issue with the G4 bulbs you use for the repulsors getting too hot? Also, how did you mount them to the gloves? What about the arc reactor, how is that mounted? I'm getting close to finishing all the pep/bondo work on my Mark VI and am getting ready to start connecting all the pieces and adding electronics. I'm using a modified neck brace to connect the chest and back. (had to mod the brace because it was taking up so much room inside the chest piece that I couldn't get the abs on under it) and am wondering if folks mount on the brace or not or if it is just strapped to the chest. Earlier in this thread you mentioned attaching it to your chest and I was wondering if that is what you ended up doing.

Thanks, I am glad you like my work. If you leave the G4 lights on at full power for an extended period of time then they may get warm but not hot.

I made a light pod that fit on the inside of the palm that holds the g4 disc. The arc reactors I use now are worn with elastic straps in a cross pattern... see my FS thread for more info. This one was glued to my chest with prosthetic appliance glue.

Some people use the brace and others chose not to. It is not really needed but some think that it helps. Hope that helps.

I have a right hand glove in the new junkyard for sale. It is ready to ship. It has been painted Mk XLII style. It comes with a repulsor light.

The member that ordered it backed out of the transaction so his loss is your gain. Go check it out and send me a PM if you are interested.

Last edited:
On the glove... lol .. actually the payment went through and the glove is sold. I would sell the phone too but I would feel bad for the person that buys it.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back