Dann's Luke Skywalker ANH Stunt Macrobinoculars Build Thread

Playing around with the black mystery disc on the battery door...
1113181529.jpg

Fantastic work Dan! I’m impressed. How do you know that Miranda lenses? Nevermind I took a better look I think your right and the two lenses are different it looks like.

I see the mystery box on the side looks different than than the Hero too. It appears to have a flat solid plate on the front however even though what you have looks very close.

I looked around for the 8mm camera which looks pretty accurate to me. I can only find a gray version though. Good work man!

Last edited:
Looks good! I finally found the correct mamiya and need to build another set . I'll probably redo my first set too with a correct faceplate. Wish ii could figure out the mystery box and the "viewer" thingie.

Thanks, y'all!

Today I made the belt clip from aluminum sheet and bent it in my bench vise brake jaws.

I also printed a slightly updated transition box hood, with sharper outside corners.

I also printed a new mystery top box, slightly longer and thicker, with a slightly smaller window to better fit the little glass viewfinders. (This hasn't been installed yet, so it's not in any of the pictures.)

The side box does need a flat rectangular plate on the front, don't worry I haven't forgotten!

Jediseth If you find the correct camera body, snag it regardless of the color! You can always paint the darn thing!
1114181741.jpg
1114181742.jpg
1114181742a.jpg
1114181742b.jpg
1114181743.jpg
1114181743a.jpg
1114181744.jpg
1114181744a.jpg
1114181744b.jpg

Last edited:
It looks great dann, I doubt I’ll ever own any version of it now lol
Well hey, if you have no hope for the real parts, I know Trooper and maybe a couple other folks make great (like, REALLY GOOD) resin parts!

Looks good! I finally found the correct mamiya and need to build another set . I'll probably redo my first set too with a correct faceplate. Wish ii could figure out the mystery box and the "viewer" thingie.

Yeah, the correct body is stupid rare. I've seen maybe four in the past five years. Including mine. Fortunately, there are really nice resin face plates for when you find the incorrect zoom model. Heh, of course that one's just as rare.

It would be great to know what the real parts are for the black side box and the top two-tone box! Oh, and the black disc, as well! I know most folks use the 35K knob, and I have one as well, but I think it's a little too small and doesn't seem to have the correct detail on top. There's a knob on the bottom of one of my Kalimars that's really really close, but in the end I modeled and printed mine. And it needs work. From what I see, it looks like there's more concentric circles with tighter spacing creating that duller look to part of the disc, like grooves in a record. But it also looks like it has threading in the center, so I'm inclined to believe it is the bottom knob from some camera or camera case that we haven't found yet.

4 (3)~2.jpg

Last edited:
If your're looking at US eBay, there isn't one on there, and as far as I know, hasn't been for quite some time.

Last edited:
Reworked the black disc, made the rectangular front piece for the black side box, installed new printed top two-tone box with glass viewing lenses, swapped the Kalimar knobs for some Yashica knobs I had and painted the bottoms black. Also added some curve to the back top and bottom of the black side box. Whew!!

I have printed one more version of the transition box parts, with some measurements changed to better reflect what I see in my scant reference, but I haven't finished or installed it, yet.

Pics!!
1116181406.jpg
1116181406b.jpg
1116181402.jpg
1116181406a.jpg
1116181401b.jpg
1116181402b.jpg
1116181406c.jpg
1116181402a.jpg
1116181359.jpg
1116181403.jpg
1116181404.jpg
1116181400a.jpg
1116181403b.jpg
1116181400.jpg
1116181401.jpg
1116181400b.jpg
1116181401a.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good buddy.

Curious what you come up with reg. the extra "block" underneath the transition box...that´s the only thing missing on my build atm

Same here. I haven't added that part to mine either, nor the side box. I am going to redo my first set and start another set so ill be starting a new thread soon with all my reference.

Last edited:
What's the block you're talking about?

I'm not sure if my reference is good enough to see it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back