Da Vinci Code Cryptex

I was one of those 10,000 :) Got it in the mail today. Pretty nice replica. Though there's no marble coloring in the letter wheels.

IMG_1697.JPG

I had heard through the "grapevine" that the Noble one wont either...the pic they show is the actual prop. Do you think the google is the right size? I had heard they are equivelent in size to the Noble one.

The Google one is definately the "mini" based on the photo in this thread and the dimensions provided by Noble.

The google one is the mini version. It says it's 4 inches long and from the pic above, that size fits. The screen accurate version is 6 inches longer. I also think it'll be a bit more detailed than the mini just because it's only 2 inches longer but almost triple the cost. The cost has to count for something more than a little increase in size. Does anyone know if it comes with the box?

About that contest so many people are saying they should have won, just remember how much hype surrounded the book. Millions of people have read this book. 10,000 winners may sound like a lot, but not when you have a million or more entrants. From what I read, it was a very popular contest.

<div class='quotetop'>(TFrosst @ May 16 2006, 01:00 AM) [snapback]1245006[/snapback]</div>
10,000 winners may sound like a lot, but not when you have a million or more entrants. From what I read, it was a very popular contest.
[/b]
Exactly.

I was semi-hoping to be a winner, but jeez...I'm probably under-imagining the number of entrants by several million at the very least. Can't get really upset about losing to the odds on that one.

Still, it would have been nice. :D

I think the google winners only got the mini cryptex. If you compare Junos friends cryptex to the two cryptex on Noble Collection, it's the mini one.
I was sure that some prop company was going to produce these. There's just so much money to be made off of these, given the hype of the book and now the movie. I guess it takes the weight off our shoulders in having to make this.

yea, theres a lot of interest in the book. that makes the 10k a lot harder to get than it normally would be in the big media hype, and i can already see signs of "whoever has the most money and least sense" coming into play on ebay. add to that the people that get 2 or 3 by signing up with different email addresses, etc.

personally, im banking on the noble one. they havent done anything stupid yet like announce its a limited edition, so thats probably the best hope. why limit the cash you can make off something? i never got that.

ironically, i hated the book, and im not seeing the movie. i just dig stuff made by leonardo :), thats my reason for wanting one :lol.

chris

Yes...the "google contest" cryptex is indeed made by Noble Collection. It's the mini.

I had a chance to examine one today at work that was still in the packaging and sure enough, on the bottom of the box, it had noblecollection's URL.

I think for my money, I will probably go with one of the cryptex replicas off the cryptex.org site instead. I wasn't too impressed with the die cast construction and plastic letter rings.

Edit

In fact...here is a shot of the bottom of the box....

83_12.JPG

I too did not win the Google contest, and I started the contest a couple of days after it was first released and finished the final puzzel within SIX MINUTES of its release.

But...I too will invest in a Noble Collection version. It looks good. Real nice and slick.

Anyone know if the rosewood box will be included? Yes? No? Maybe? Don't know?

--Ash

Couldn't resist the urge to take apart my cryptex to see how it was constructed. What it revealed was an easy way to set the password to anything you want. (of course, on the code conquest ones, only the last two letters matter anyway) Here are the pics:

IMG_1702.JPG

IMG_1703.JPG

IMG_1704.JPG

All you have to do is take off the plastic ring and realign it so that the letters you want match up with the hole. Of course, like I said, on the code quest ones, this only matters for the last two.

Anyone know the best way to marbelize the plastic rings?

Check out some faux finish tutorials on home diy sites. They have many techniques. The one that most readily come to mind is the feather technique to add all the veins.

Here is the response that I recieved today from The Noble Collection Customer Service Department to my enquiry about a box for the full size Cryptex;

Dear Customer,

Yes it does come in a nice wooden box

Thank you and have a great day.
Maria

The Noble Collection,
Customer Service,
1-800-866-0232.
www.noblecollection.com

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back