Cowboys and Aliens (not really a) Movie Review

Ha! I thought of you and your genre/gender concerns at the end, but in a more positive way than I guess you saw the story at first blush. I loved loved loved that although people shake off the hypnosis at different rates (Jake has amnesia for most of the movie; the Colonel's son seems rebooted at the end, etc), Doc's wife... while exposed to the alien light... still didn't have her love for her husband erased. That spoke to me more of the strength of women in the flick than anything. The men are held powerless by greed, power, etc., and you can say what you want, but the two main female characters either sacrificed everything for good or didn't forget good in the face of outside influence.

Either way, thought of your concerns at the end. :)

Larry you kick soo much ass. :thumbsup

Totally agree.

LOVED it.

This wasn't gone with the wind.

If you went in to see a movie... called COWBOYS AND ALIENS... expecting more than a "let go of all your worldly thoughts and enjoy the ride" kinda thing...

You need to be evaluating yourself more than movies. :angel

This wasn't gone with the wind.

Yeah. Yeah? Yeah, yeah. :sleep

If you went in to see a movie... called COWBOYS AND ALIENS... expecting more than a "let go of all your worldly thoughts and enjoy the ride" kinda thing...You need to be evaluating yourself more than movies. :angel

Hey OldKen, it's called personal taste. You're free to love or hate whatever you want regardless if someone agrees or disagrees. For some folks like me, not every ride is a fun ride. Cowboys and Aliens just wasn't much of a fun ride. I'm glad I went on it, but it's not one I'd want to do again.
And when your movie's advertising campaign lists Steven Spielberg, Ron Howard, the director of Iron Man with Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford, I think "expecting more" out of this movie isn't much of a stretch.

Last edited:
Judging from the box office not too many are enjoying the ride. It's expected to loose quite a bit of money. Too bad but maybe studios should think twice before spending 163 million plus the marketing cost.

I will check it out when it hits the rental market. Shouldn't take long at least.

Judging from the box office not too many are enjoying the ride. It's expected to loose quite a bit of money. Too bad but maybe studios should think twice before spending 163 million plus the marketing cost.

I will check it out when it hits the rental market. Shouldn't take long at least.

That was my original prediction and post. i hate that,,it may affect future sci fi endeavors...

Just got back from seeing it. YEAH!! :lol:thumbsup

Best movie ever? No. Best movie I've seen in a looooong time? Yes!

OMG - a new idea! Of course it won't do well - regurgitating what has gone before is what sells the tickets.

This is to "Epic Western" what Raiders was to "Action Serials of the 40's". I'm not saying the movie equals Raiders (I'm too jaded at this point), but I will say it paid homage to the great western movies, keeping it's own identity just like Raiders did.

Yep, it's all personal opinion. I paid my money, and at the end we walked out smiling feeling it was money well spent. We laughed, we cried, and more than once my spouse literally jumped out of her seat!

saw it with someone tuesday...

we both thought it was just meh :p......it had lots of parts that dragged on too long....the aliens creature design was terrible....harrison ford really phoned it in....it was all around just meh.
it wasnt terrible....but i couldnt say it was really all that good either.

it was ok.....daniel craig was pretty cool in it..that is all

i wonder why hollywood thinks aliens can build lazer guns and spaceships....but not pants?

Well that was certainly a waste of good money. Sub-par movie with sub-par acting. Horrible, I found myself checking my watch halfway through this crap heap of a time waster. Save your money and go to the video store and rent THE BURROWERS instead of watching this craptacular excuse. Seriously The Burrowers is the movie this movie wishes to be.

Movies are so subjective...:lol

I really loved this film.

There seemed to be plenty of negative buzz. Rotten tomatoes has it around 45%. I went in with pretty low expectations and came out thinking it's the best geek movie of the summer.

I just totally bought into everything this movie was about. If your a geek, (and you know you are, you belong to a prop forum for petes sake!) then you should give this movie a chance.

Again, just my $.02

Brad

I am just not feeling it, guys. I just saw this movie, and didn't think it was bad, just not anything moving. I couldn't get behind any of the characters. Why are aliens always naked? Why were aliens scooping up people when all they wanted was gold?

The whole plot was: Town attacked by aliens, they form a posse and ride after them. Battle ensues.

Was there any point to atacking anybody? They already had the gold mining operation. The aliens that had all the high tech were, in th eend, just a bunch of thugs.

The whole plot was: Town attacked by aliens, they form a posse and ride after them. Battle ensues.

That's not really the plot, no.

A mysterious stranger who has glimpses of his half-remembered past comes to town seeking personal answers and gets embroiled in a broader mystery: townspeople are disappearing and gold is getting gone under circumstances that belie belief. An old soldier with a shady past and a beautiful woman with secrets of her own make an uneasy alliance with the stranger to save the ones they hold dear for whatever reason throws them in. Their struggle giving them a reason to overcome their differences, the three solve the mystery and defeat the force encroaching on their way of life.

Honestly, the thing I love about it is that, boiled down, it's the plot of fifty filmed Westerns since they've been making movies. That, and it has Indy and James Bond and Quorra punching aliens with no pants. I mean, that's icing.

Honestly, the thing I love about it is that, boiled down, it's the plot of fifty filmed Westerns since they've been making movies. That, and it has Indy and James Bond and Quorra punching aliens with no pants. I mean, that's icing.

This is the best thing you've posted in a while now! :thumbsup

^ What Larry said.

What I don't understand is how people can miss what was explained, such as why the aliens were experimenting on the humans, why there *wasn't * an option to just let things be, and why they wanted the gold.

It doesn't matter; ya either liked it or ya didn't! :lol

On topic: anyone catch the homage to Ridley Scott?

saw it with someone tuesday...

we both thought it was just meh :p......it had lots of parts that dragged on too long....the aliens creature design was terrible....harrison ford really phoned it in....it was all around just meh.
it wasnt terrible....but i couldnt say it was really all that good either.

it was ok.....daniel craig was pretty cool in it..that is all

i wonder why hollywood thinks aliens can build lazer guns and spaceships....but not pants?

Sort of agree...

And it sloped down hill, both in terms of plot and visuals.

Visuals
I enjoyed to old western set (actaully spoke with the woman who owns it not long ago), but by the time the first act has wrapped, we're pretty much done with it.

Second act is a lot of open country. Pretty, but not much in the way of Western production design, save for wardrobe and hand props. Good cinematography, though.

Third act is pretty much isolated to a rather bleak looking exterior location (interesting with the white cliffs, but failry drab and monochromatic, if you ask me), and the interiors of the ship, which sort of reminded me of Monsters Vs. Aliens.

Plot
Just got more boring as we went along. In the first act, you had all the mystery and intrigue of both Jake's past, and the alien encounters.

By the second act, most of the mystery has been unraveled, and you have the contrivance of a smoking hot chick from another "good" planet.

By the third act, all the mystery is over, hence no more journey or intrigue for the audience during the third act. It really is just a ho-hum shoot-em-up between the cowboys and the alines, while the Macguffin is carried to its destination. A bit boring, really...

I just don't get it that so many people are disappointed that this movie didn't have more depth, or that the storyline was fairly simplistic and straightforward. The storyline to Tombstone, True Grit, and a ton of other movies was fairly straightforward and simple as well. In regard to the movie being a mystery... it was NEVER a mystery to the audience! It is called Cowboys & Aliens! You knew what the mystery was from the first trailer! I will agree that I thought the third act was the weakest of the film, but I still really enjoyed the movie overall. This will never be "the greatest movie ever" but when I think of it compared to other summer blockbusters, there are few I liked better. Neither Captain America or Thor held my interest like this movie did.

i enjoyed the film.....daniel craig does a great job on acting.....

olivia wildes character was annoying....i think they could had done without her or did something else to tie it all together.....maybe i would had liked it a lot better....no, i am not anti olivia wilde.....she cant act, but i did enjoy her in tron.....

it was definitely better than capt america.......most of the blockbuster films this summer left me with that meh feeling.....except Planet of the Apes.....That film was great

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back